Power mixer & speakers too heavy - looking for lighter PA set up

Stormin54

• Members

Hi

New to forum - not sure if right place to post.

I'm doing solo singing in small to medium venues and am selling heavy speakers & power mixer - back problems with carrying.

I've just tried new Yamaha Stagepas 400i in local shop in UK which seems a good compact set up.

Any advice please on this or any other lightweight equipment.

Many Thanks

• Members

It depends on what you're doing. If it's just guitar and vocals I don't hesitate to recommend the Fishman SA220. It's a lot of money for one specific purpose, but if that one specific purpose is what you do it's fantastic. The Bose L1 is a more versatile option that gives up some schleppability for what I find to be a better sound, at a higher price. These are discussed at length and argued about at considerable length here. Someone here picked up the Kustom equivalent recently I believe. I do really really like the stick systems though. As well as the word REALLY.

• Members

Most powered speakers made today are light weight compared to 10 years ago. JBL eon 515 is only 30 lbs. and there others that are close to 20 lbs. Just remember "you get what you pay for" is true with speakers. Behringer is not the same as QSC. Yamaha has some great speakers but i don't know about the stagepass 400.

Are you using backing tracks or a drum machine or just acoustic guitar and voice? Do you play mostly small venues or medium to large size rooms? Some of us were just saying that one 10 or 12" speaker is all that's needed for smaller acoustic guitar gigs. So one high quality speaker may be better than two lower in quality.

• Members

Thanks for reply Bob.

Sometimes I'm working to 20 to 30 'older generation' folks in medium to large room where sound can get 'lost'.

I'm using backing tracks with voice.

Have done large pubs with up to 200 in the past but don't expect to be doing that sort of gig anymore

I should say that recent back op to fix pressure on nerve means that I'm under strict instructions from family not to lift anything which is frustrating as I used to pick up these massive speakers and put them on the stands with no problem . My wife says that's probably why I got the back problem.

It's getting better every day now so I do fancy the really lightweight convenience of the 400i

• Members

With tracks, the Fishman is obviously out. I've heard a lot of good stories about the L1 compact, and at low volumes in the showroom I thought it sounded unbelievable, but when you see it it's hard to really trust it. It would certainly solve your back problems though. I've never had handled the L1 model 1 or 2.

• Members

Bob, the K10's are great. I haven't looked much at "regular" PA equipment, but is it safe to assume that a setup with passive speakers rather than the powered K10's is likely to be lighter to lift onto a stand? I've never heard a bad word said about the K series though, and that would be light by any standards twenty years ago. I just wonder if there are newer passive options that would be lighter.

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

Bob, the K10's are great. I haven't looked much at "regular" PA equipment, but is it safe to assume that a setup with passive speakers rather than the powered K10's is likely to be lighter to lift onto a stand? I've never heard a bad word said about the K series though, and that would be light by any standards twenty years ago. I just wonder if there are newer passive options that would be lighter.

Carvin has had light weight, low cost passive or active speakers for some time now. And they sound decent too, but not the quality of bose, QSC etc. I only have experience with a carvin powered sub, but it's been really good as far as low weight, power, bang for the buck.

10 inch cabs weighing 22-23 lbs.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/pm/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If the Yamaha doesn't work out, and if your tracks aren't very bass-heavy, consider a pair of 8" EV ZxA1s.  They only weigh 19 lbs each,are quite compact, and sound very good while giving up only a little in bass as compared to 10" alternatives.   They are probably not going to be what you want if you're looking for bass thump you can only get with a dedicated sub, but for clear, balanced, full-range music without particular bass emphasis you may find they will do the job more than adequately if your tracks don't include very deep bass frequencies.   Being self-powered, you need additionally only a compact 2 or 4-channel unpowered mixer, which will certainly be lighter and probably smaller than any powered mixer.  Perhaps something like a Peavey PV6, which weighs about 5 lbs, would meet your needs? 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived