fishman soloamp

eyesore

• Moderators

If you mean the SA220, aka Fishstick, then yes, I use one, and there are a few others here.

IMHO, this covers the ground you are looking for: more than an acoustic amp, not a full PA...but a nice niche in between with more than enough power for a moderately sized room. Because the array is elevated, you get a much better sound in the room without being too loud, and you won't need a monitor.

• Members

this sounds like it's better suited for what i am currently doing.small restaurants ,little room to set up a PA plus monitors.will this cover more area than my acoustic amp? i guess the answer is yes.],but i need to be sure, before i invest.thanks

• Members

It sounds ideal for that application, provided you don't have tracks. It's a one trick pony, but it does that trick really well. Vocals and acoustic, that's it. My only gripe is that the reverb setting defaults to 1 each time you power it up, and reverb 3 is the only one that sounds good. I'll often find myself messing with EQ only to find that I just forgot to switch the reverb setting. TMI. I'm pretty confident you wouldn't regret it.

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

It sounds ideal for that application,
provided you don't have tracks. It's a one trick pony
, but it does that trick really well. Vocals and acoustic, that's it. My only gripe is that the reverb setting defaults to 1 each time you power it up, and reverb 3 is the only one that sounds good. I'll often find myself messing with EQ only to find that I just forgot to switch the reverb setting. TMI. I'm pretty confident you wouldn't regret it.

Actually not true. Theoretically, while it involves another piece of gear and more cable, a small mixer run into the guitar input will allow one to run backing tracks. How good it would sound would be anyone's guess unless they've done the deed, and, I don't think I'd want to run a bass track through it.

• Members

Other options: You could use just one of your PA speakers on a tripod. Elevating your amp is another option. Also the bose compact is in the same price range as the fishman. 

Sounds like the fishman may be just right for you. You should demo one yourself if possible before purchasing one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Update since having it a little longer. I get compliments on the sound of the SoloAmp pretty much every gig. I haven't seen another one in the area, or an L1 for that matter, so the novelty factor probably catches their attention before the sound does. But it's always "That thing sounds great" not "that thing looks convenient."

• Moderators

SLScott86 wrote:

Update since having it a little longer. I get compliments on the sound of the SoloAmp pretty much every gig. I haven't seen another one in the area, or an L1 for that matter, so the novelty factor probably catches their attention before the sound does. But it's always "That thing sounds great" not "that thing looks convenient."

Funny, the most favorable comment I got was from the host at a private party commenting how quickly I set up and tore down. He mentioned that the previous soloist had two speakers, two stands, a mixer, a pedal board and 'it seemed to take him forever' to load in/set up and pack up and leave*....I have my load in down to one trip [if its is flat]. Guitars, mic stand and gig case on the folding hand truck in one hand and the Fish-stick in the other.

*he also did mention that my set up sounded as good...;)

Archived