Celestion Vintage Series Speakers

• 11 months later...
  • Members

i have an engl 4x12 with V30's

its my first 4x12 so i might be biased, but it sounds great. it can handle bass frequencies really well which is what i was looking for.

there maybe a slight mid hump as i've heard before but its not really been a problem for me.

i'm still saving up for the right amp head to go with it. i swapped my peavey combo 1x12 for a laney world class series head, which is excellent but really doesnt handle loud volumes very well, so i managed to dig out an old carlsbro pa head with 4 channels and using my racks and dist pedal it sounds much better even with with dead valves :)

the pa head has way more bass on tap than anything else i've tried. and the speakers seem to handle it when cranked so i'm very pleased for the time being till i can get a midi switchable, hi gain amp head.

• Members

To me, Vintage 30s sound very nasal and annoying. They don't work well with my guitar tones at all.

I prefer the character of the 75s overall. However, I find that the 75s are somewhat rough in the midrange and don't seem to be clean enough for my clean tones.

What I'm using now are G12H-80s instead of the vintage series speakers since they have a smoother midrange voicing, strong bass and do not come across as nasal to me.

Archived