Propellerhead Reason software...?

• Members

Obviously this forum is not one to shy away from audio technology and/or rack gear. I've been hearing some good things about Reason, it's a virtual studio rack featuring software synths, effects, mixers etc...

I'm just wondering if anyone here has used this type of software before. I'm seriously considering getting newer versions of Soundforge, Acid and possibly this to start working on some new music.

http://www.propellerheads.se/

• Members

Urgh, I am doing a music technology degree and we've been learning this and I can't stand it. I usually use Cubase SX and to me Reason is very limiting. No audio recording abilities, horrible interface for sequencing and I've found it takes about three times the amount of time to do anything that Cubase SX. I know it's mainly suited for dance and techno music and stuff but even for that I'd pick Cubase SX over it for reasons of flexibility and overall power.

• Members

I was more interested in the softsynth application of Reason.. If I need to do looping & such I could always just use Acid to do that.. heck, I think even audiomulch could do that stuff easily enough.

I haven't heard all that much about cubase.. more info?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by El Grinder

I haven't heard all that much about cubase.. more info?

I have a small home studio, well my dad does, but i run cubase no matter if its me recording or him or whoever, but Cubase is a very sweet program. I would not reccomend the VST 32.1 (32.5?) version due to its difficulty. I found that Cubase SX is faar easier to work with, especially with multi-tracking. Anyways

In-depth review

I've played around with its effects for periods of time, but i haven't had the best of luck with getting extremly good sounds other than textural layers using slight chorus, reverb. I've never used Cubase in an actually studio situation so i can't comment on that, but in a personal recording project type setup so far SX has been awesome. Actually let'd you focus on recording on not screwing around with the program to get it setup...very plug in and record and yet extremly complicated and complex for those who want to get in that deep.

Archived