Good preamps for swedish/finnish style metal?

• Members

Originally posted by LordHypnos

So what are some good ones?

And would a VHT poweramp (KT-88 model) be good?

Since i am a BIG ADA fan, I'd say ADA MP-1 with 3.666 mod. Evil, crunchy and got all the gain you'll ever need.

VHT poweramps are excellent, I have heard alot of good things about them.

Good luck,

Duke of Metal

• Members

I think the ENGL amps will get you in the ballpark. The 580 or 530 preamp might me up you alley. Also, I reckon that a JMP-1 might do it. I think Galder from Dimmu Borgir used to use a Rocktron Prophesy as well (not quite swedish or finnish I know...)

I'm not sure if you're interested, but this is a GP3 with a Bastard pedal (on channel 2)

METAL

• Members

Yeah, the GP3 is probably a great preamp for that. I played one thorough a Mesa 2:90 into a Recto cab. I thought the eq was alittle wacky and hard to dial in. It had a great tone already dialed in so I tweaked it and eventually ended up diming everything, maybe I suck at eq'ing.

• Members

Originally posted by Tall Midget

Yeah, the GP3 is probably a great preamp for that. I played one thorough a Mesa 2:90 into a Recto cab. I thought the eq was alittle wacky and hard to dial in. It had a great tone already dialed in so I tweaked it and eventually ended up diming everything, maybe I suck at eq'ing.

You don't suck at EQing, the GP3 is just like that! The highs and mids sound awesome dimed, the lows I keep around 12ish, and gain and boost between 1 oclock and 3 oclocl. I don't dime it when I use the Bastard pedal though, because the bastard has a massive mid boost so I don't need to crank the highs and mids as much.

• Members

as usual, i might suggest the hughes and kettner access. i absolutely love mine. it can do everything from chimey clean to full on soldano roar on its own. add an outboard eq (i use my g-major's 3 band parametric) and you can nail mesa and 5150 saturated over the top gain while maintaining clarity. i play mostly death/grind that's relatively technical (to the best of my meager abilities--:D ) in the vein of cephalic carnage or creation is crucifixion, so i need a heavy high gain sound that maintains a lot of clarity and articulation, and the access does a fantastic job...

i got mine for $425 used (they haven't been made in about 10 years), but i haven't seen one for sale in awhile, but i'm sure they're out there....

• Members
Originally posted by somata

i got mine for $425 used (they haven't been made in about 10 years), but i haven't seen one for sale in awhile, but i'm sure they're out there....

I saw one on eBay UK last month. Are the cleans any good (country, surf, blues, prog)?

• Members

i don't have any problems with the clean on the access, i know in the reviews some people complain that the clean isn't tube, but i think it sounds great. i run mine into a mesa 50/50 and i would characterize the cleans as going from very chimy/bouncy (if that makes sense) to fairly warm. of course i am running the access into the g-major, which has some great clean patches (the acoustic patch coupled with my access clean setting sounds great...very full...when i use my split coil position and piezos together on my parker it gets pretty close to an acoustic...) the g-major may help to tweak out the sound...

• 5 months later...
  • Members

as usual, i might suggest the hughes and kettner access. i absolutely love mine. it can do everything from chimey clean to full on soldano roar on its own. add an outboard eq (i use my g-major's 3 band parametric) and you can nail mesa and 5150 saturated over the top gain while maintaining clarity. i play mostly death/grind that's relatively technical (to the best of my meager abilities--
:D
) in the vein of cephalic carnage or creation is crucifixion, so i need a heavy high gain sound that maintains a lot of clarity and articulation, and the access does a fantastic job...

Someone just had an Access on ebay earlier this week or last week, but they had the starting price at $799.00!! I was very surprised at that, and I don't think he got any bids.

Mike

• Members

Someone just had an Access on ebay earlier this week or last week, but they had the starting price at $799.00!! I was very surprised at that, and I don't think he got any bids.

Mike

i saw that and :eek: :eek: me eyes bugged out. i think that he's a bit unrealistic. is it worth $799? absolutely, its very much comparable to the triaxis...and actually offers some more features (3 swithcable fx loops, alternate pre-amp loop (pre eq) recording out, headphones out). but hughes & kettner doesn't have the popular appeal that mesa does, and the triaxis is much better known, so i think that the access generally goes in the $500-600 range (depending on whether it has the footcontroller or not). of course due to their rarity, maybe they're a piece that is going up in value. its defintely a killer preamp and one of the best kept gear secrets going (try as i might to expose it!!!!). there's also nothing that i know of that has all of its features, and sounds as good, in one box. so who knows...like everything else, gear has no inherent value...its only worth what someone is willing to pay:D of course, he's relisted it this week so, i guess we're still waiting to see what its worth...:p i wish him the best of luck, i hope he sells it for a crapload...that will bring the value of mine up ...:D:p:D:p

• Members

Mike

i saw that and :eek: :eek: me eyes bugged out. i think that he's a bit unrealistic. is it worth $799? absolutely, its very much comparable to the triaxis...and actually offers some more features (3 swithcable fx loops, alternate pre-amp loop (pre eq) recording out, headphones out). but hughes & kettner doesn't have the popular appeal that mesa does, and the triaxis is much better known, so i think that the access generally goes in the $500-600 range (depending on whether it has the footcontroller or not). of course due to their rarity, maybe they're a piece that is going up in value. its defintely a killer preamp and one of the best kept gear secrets going (try as i might to expose it!!!!). there's also nothing that i know of that has all of its features, and sounds as good, in one box. so who knows...like everything else, gear has no inherent value...its only worth what someone is willing to pay:D of course, he's relisted it this week so, i guess we're still waiting to see what its worth...:p i wish him the best of luck, i hope he sells it for a crapload...that will bring the value of mine up ...:D:p:D:p

Yeah, I thought he was a bit unrealistic about that price--all the more power to him, if he can sell it for that! I'm with you on what I was thinking that they would go for $5-600.

I actually think that they are so rare that too few people have experience with them so no one knows how good they are. I see more CAE 3+'s and Bogner Fish's than I have seen of the Access! I would bet that if there were a few more around they would be worth a lot more because more people would have used them.

I certainly wouldn't mind adding one to switch between it and my Engl 530! That would be sweet!

Mike

• Members

Mike

Do you have any clips done using the hughes & kettner access? Does it sound well for thrash metal?

• Members

i actually don't have any clips (still trying to figure this whole recording on the computer thing out :mad::D ) but the album "focus" by the progressive death metal band cynic (it came out in 1993 i believe) was all recorded with the access, so it would be a good resource to get a feel for the sounds available. the access can definitely get a thrash sound. the basic tonal architecture is built around a marshall sound (so soldano for the high gain). but as mentioned, a bit of outboard tweaking can dial in everything from marshall crunch to 5150 and recto-like grind...

Archived