Is it worth the extra money to get the G-force over the G-major?

• Members

I've looking to buy a G-force for a long time. Now that I finally have the cash, I'm wondering - does the sound quality justify the price jump from the G-major?

I'm mostly just using it for delay, reverb, and phasing. The other effects will be used, but not as often. Any insight?

• Members

I've heard too many bad reviews on the MPX-1, specifically relating to ease of use. The G-force has a much better interface and still sounds better according to HC User Reviews.

Plus you can plug a vol pedal into a G-force directly for use as an expression pedal - something that most units don't offer but that I think sounds very usefull.

• Members

Originally posted by Cosmic_Osmo

I've looking to buy a G-force for a long time. Now that I finally have the cash, I'm wondering - does the sound quality justify the price jump from the G-major?

I'm mostly just using it for delay, reverb, and phasing. The other effects will be used, but not as often. Any insight?

If you are trying to decide between a Gmajor and Gforce. There is no comparison. Save your money and get the Gforce. The Gmajor is not even in the same league.

Don`t rule out the Lex MPX-1. It`s not a bad piece and is a far better processor than the Gmajor. I would say it`s on par with the Gforce but between these two it`s more a matter of which character processor you prefer.

Gforce--- Very clear and open sounding. Transparent and rich sounding in nature. Typical TC characteristics. Regarded by some as sterile in nature.

MPX-1--- Very smooth sounding, warm and lush sounding in nature. Typical Lex characteristics. Regarded by some as over-effected/obvious sounding.

Gmajor--- Poor sounding Gforce imitation. No dedicated way to turn off all internal dry sound therefore introduces slight phase problems and raises noise floor in systems where mixers or parallel effects loops are employed.

Hope this info helps you,

Tom

• Members

I owned a MPX-1 for a while and I hated the interace so much that I sold it. It sounded fine, but the idiot who came up with the navigation of all the menus should be shot. He ruined a great sounding processor by making it so miserable to work with that I'd rather do without it.

Not to be critical..

:p

• Members

No Lexicon has an easy interface since the PCM70 was introduced. Even the 480 is a PITA. I've worked on Lex 300's for what has to be a decade and I still have no idea how to do anything but basic editing. The PCM 81 and 91's aren't a piece of cake either.

Phil

• Members

Check out TC Electronic's web site ... they have info there on the differences between the two ... and a great FAQ section w/ support info on the G-major. Most of the feedback I've heard is that the quality of the G-major effects is identical to the G-force, except that the G-force has a much better pitch shifter ... if that's important to you.

Additionally, the G-major has some other features not found on the G-force, such as amp channel switching.

As regards the phase problems, apparently the correct set-up eliminates this. This is just what I've read and heard ... maybe TC support can give you the real scoop. There seems to be a lot of very satisfied customers if you read the reviews.

Good luck.

• Members

Ok, guys

I`ve been thru this too many times to count but, I`ll do it once more. The gmajor does not have a a dedicated way to turn off all internal dry sound so it can be used completely effectively in a parallel effects based guitar system. The gmajor is really designed completely around the idea that you will run directly thru it.

This does not cut it with me. I don`t care what anyone thinks they know you can`t change the design of the unit. There is no correct setup for a guitar rig with parallel effects. I tried one just because of the spillover feature and went thru this already with TC and then got rid of it. If you are on a budget and it`s all you can afford, go for it.

The work around they have come up with is to turn all the effects on and then set the levels to zero for the effects you`re not using in the current preset. This is what you do for each preset. Bull{censored} !!!, in my opinion.

In this way, it added noise to my system and I could still hear a slight ,but still prominent phase issue. Not to my liking at all!

Here`s the word directly from the horse`s mouth. TC`s online support.

http://tcsupport.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tcsupport.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=8kn7mrXg&p_lva=&p_faqid=342&p_created=1001466504&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTk4JnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT0xJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPTExJnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9jYXRfbHZsMj1_YW55fiZwX3NjZl9mYXFzKmFjY2Vzc19pZD0xJnBfc29ydF9ieT1kZmx0JnBfcGFnZT0z&p_li=

Hopefully this link will work, if not just do a search on TC`s site in the online support section on the gmajor.

Tom

• Members

I have a G-major myself, and personally, I'm pretty happy with it. I guess I have a very straight forward rig and I don't mind running straight through the G-major at all times.

Here are some soundclips.. all effects are the G-major

Clean tone is chorus on one side, phaser on the other, delay and reverb on both. Distorted rhythm is dry, and leads have reverb and delay

• Members

I have a G-Major and must say I am not pleased with the sound. I first put it between my pre amp and power amp and it just killed the tone. When connected in an FX-loop it's OK, but still not impressive.

I have not tried the G-force, does it really sound any better?

• Members

Only if you are looking for more flexibility.

Tone wise, if you don't want to change the order of the effects like you can do with G-Force, what really counts are the AD-DA converters and software algortihm for the FX. In all the units mentioned here TC or Lexicon, you wont hear this difference.

Good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by hurnsradi

Why has nobody mentioned the MPX G2?

I had a Lex G2 and sold it after trying for a year to get comfortable with it. It is one of those processors that you have to be on it daily to keep up with its user hostile interface. I'll bet an Orville is easier to use.

Archived