good cables

• Members

I don't really post on monsterrack that much(or at all really), but I was wondering if anyone could recommend some cables to use to connect my rack gear with?? I just moved to a rack setup and I know monster cables are good, but I was wondering if there was any other cables of similar quality with a little better price? Just checking before I go and spend the cash for the monsters.

Thanks

• Members

I've been making my own and couldn't be happier. I'm using Swtchcraft connectors, and some decent cable (I forget what brand though...sorry).

Sounds great and I can wire my rack with the exact length I need. So it's all nice and neat.

• Members

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. Where could I find a site that explains how to build your own cables?? I'll probably get some George L's for now, but for the future I wouldn't mind to learn how to build some of my own cables.

thanks

• Members

It isn't hard at all. Just need a little soldering skills really. A good pair of wire strippers, and maybe some shrink tubing and you're pretty much set.

I would just take the sleeve off one of your exsisting cables and see how it's soldered. Then just copy it.

Just make sure you check it when it's done (with an Ohm meter) so that there are no shorts, and it's good.

• Members

uh huh, just use one of your old crappy cables for some practice. clip some off, strip solder, test, then clip it off and do it again. you will get good very quickly.

i, too, really like the sound of the GeorgeL cable. I hate the ridiculous plugs they make, so i use the Neutrik NP2C plugs which, IMO, are way better than switchcraft.

good luck

• Members

I'd use balanced [read two conductor + ground] cable where possible, or if the option exists. The L is cool but a little rigid for tight turns, and requires IMO a heat shrink on all the ends to protect it. But really all cable seems to live longer with heat shrink ends, so its not a L perticular thingy. The Mogami [2524] is very pliable, but has a fairly high capacitance, around 130pF/M. THe Evidence is a little better at 90pF/M, but is really too rigid for racks and tight spaces. But the Mogami works for a lot of people, and is cheap. I'm an Evidence fan and thats what I use for the most part, except for my pedalboard, which is mostly Canare 2T2-S. Its about 70pF/M. I'd say between Mogami, Evidence, George L, and Canare, you have a lot of options at much less cost than the Monster, and arguably better sound if you experiment.

• Members

the thick GeorgeL is pretty rigid, but the thinner one is very pliable. I bought both and found that the thinner diameter GeorgeL cABle is quieter than the .0255 one. If you are stomping around on your cables on stage wearing boots, you should go with the thicker one.

Heatshrink tubing is always a good idea when you are talking about instrument cables. besides imparting a slight bit of support at the plug where it gets yanked(Neutrik plugs have a good rubber strain relief for this too), you will get fewer dings on your guitar from the occasional "hitting the guitar with the plug" which happens from time to time.

i've soldered the vintage red GeorgeL to Neutriks for my entire rack and all instrument cables and couldnt believe the amazing difference in fidelity over the standard (Belden/switchcraft) setup I had been using.

"Balanced" cables are most beneficial for long runs (ie between pre-amp or slave out and PA/mixer input), but obviously your gear must be balanced ins and outs in order to utilize them. I only have one piece of gear in my entire rack that offers balanced jacks, so it is of no use to me.

• Members

Mogami 2524 cable and Canare GS-6 are both very good quality cables and can be bought in whatever amount you want from places like www.markertek.com or www.redco.com You will then have to solder connectors onto the lengths you cut.I like switchcraft 1/4" better than Neutrik for gear and guitar cables.

Soldering is pretty easy as far as instrument/gear cables go.I don't know what sites to use but I found a few in the past.

If you jsut want to buy some cables, pro-co and horizon are better than average quality but you will spend a ton of money that way.It's really up to you though.

if you buy a soldering iron, get a good one like weller.For 50 to 60 bucks you can get an iron that will last you a lifetime. A good one would have a bed with the heating element in it/sponge holder. The radio shack versions aren't too great.I wouldn't buy one of those.

• Members

another vote for evidence. buy in bulk and solder away.

the radio shack irons are ok, but they fall apart. maybe they aren't designed for that much heat. :rolleyes: i need to go ahead and buy a quality iron.

oh, and {censored} monster cable. what a bunch of cheap crappy-sounding {censored}. i hope the people that run monster cable corporation get hit by a bus full of pudding.

-jim

• 5 years later...
  • Members

I buy in Neutrik black and gold jacks, and use klotz la grange cable. Doing it yourself, rather than buying them ready made and you'll save yourself a lot of money. (some ready made are being sold on Ebay for

• Members

If you jsut want to buy some cables, pro-co and horizon are better than average quality but you will spend a ton of money that way.It's really up to you though.

I've slowly replaced all my cables (crappy multicolored patch cables mostly) with 1' to 3' Horizon cables. The improvement in quality was immediately apparent. You're right about the cost though ... at $6 or $7 per cable (locally) it adds up fast.

• Members

What I did: got some old cable tv cable that was laying around the house..cut them to the right size...soldered 1/4 inch connectors I also had laying around...this gave me quality low noise high gain cables, as good as monster in my opinion and I wired up the back of my rack with about 8 of them ...at 0 cost...just my time.

Archived