I need help, just getting interested in rack stuff...

JOROCK

• Members

Hey all, I currently use a few stompboxes but am interested in using some rack stuff, I would like to use both, so I am pretty much sold on the tc 2290 as a delay and a dunlop rack wah, Im going to use a boss ds-1/ch-1/tuner on the ground and a voodoo lab tremolo pedal. I realize I will be owning the same effects in different forms (rack/stompbox) but I figure I will just eliminate what I dont need when I have both, that way I can compare. But what I want to know, as I have read mixed opinions all over the place, is: is it worth going for a higher priced g-force over a g-major? Not an issue of money but quality. I dont care about interface either as I am technically literate and can figure things out. Or should I screw t.c. and go with a line6 MOD Pro? how good is line 6's multi fx compared to t.c.'s? I dont want a mega rack or anything but I know I want rack delay as its way better IMHO, and I know I want the wah, but I figure if im gonna get a small rack set-up why not get a multi fx too, y'know. And how can all this be controlled? I hear lots about midi footswitches but only need one with like 6 or 8 buttons, not banks and all that crap.??

All help is appreciated!

• Members

The 2290 is kinda hard to get as it's not made anymore. TC has the D-two delay now (does NOT have the routing options of the 2290, but is a very nice delay/chorus unit).

The G-force and G-major both sound good from the demos that I've heard. My understanding is that the G-force has better converters (most people won't be able to tell the difference) and more flexable routing options. You should check out the info/manuals if possible and see if the G-major handles what you need. If you need to do something it can't, that justifies the extra dough for the G-force. However, if you're just using delays, either go for a used 2290 (if you need the routing options it has) or the D-two for a more straightforward delay unit.

I don't have experience with the mod-pro so won't comment on it.

• Members

The 2290 is great in a stereo guitar rig but its pricey and they are kinda a pain to resell. The 2290 is not a Stereo Delay... its mono input to stereo outs. The delay line is single and the stereo effect is achieved by panning. You can't set L=350ms and R=585ms on the 2290. You can set 365 and have it pan accordingly. The midi implementation is nil. You can't do squat with midi except recall patches... which you presently claim is all you really want... but that will change things always do. You might want to look into a dedicated delay like the Line 6 and mabe add a Rocktron Patchmate for all your pedals. Both are cheap cash, high enough quality and readily availble on ebay or the HC classifieds.

• Members

Is there any way to run the TC2290 into just one amp, like I guess mono, I'd be running it through the back of a MESA Nomad and into the effects loop? Is this possible? I was hoping to get a more professional quality delay too, I have the line6 stompbox and have specific reasons for changing to a rack delay.

Archived