Jump to content

Carvin Quad-X for metal?


Recommended Posts

  • Members

Yes,

the Quad-X is perfect for metal. The tone controls are active controls which gives you extreme adjustment flexibility (more than you really need). You have Low,Mid, and High bands PLUS an onboard 5-band graphic eQ, again with extreme boost and cut capability. You can scoop everything out of the middle and have a huge bottom for sure. The gain ability of this pre-amp is crazy as well. There are 9 tubes total, 6 of them are running on Channel 4. Lot's of tubes doesnt ALWAYS mean lots of gain, but in this case, there is far more than you'll probably need. plus it has an input boost switch in case you need just a little more.

I avoid modern metal, but definitely play 80's metal, and can achieve a convincing Metallica with the overdrive set at only about halfway.

another great thing about using this pre-amp for high gain is its onboard noise gate. unlike standard gates which gate the entire signal going in, the gate on here is dictated by the input signal and is free from all the extra noise(effects) that gets stacked on your signal, so it is a much cleaner process. It will not stay open until the reverb or delay decays for instance.

 

good luck.

oh, and no, i dont have any clips to share - sadly,i have not yet heralded in the age of digital recording to my computer...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

That's great! So it stays crunchy at high gain? I was worried from reading the reviews that it might get mushy. I've got an opportunity to purchase one, so I needed to check it out. I'm more than willing to gamble on the cleans being excellent, since there seems no question of that in the reviews.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by Rocinante

That's great! So it stays crunchy at high gain? I was worried from reading the reviews that it might get mushy. I've got an opportunity to purchase one, so I needed to check it out. I'm more than willing to gamble on the cleans being excellent, since there seems no question of that in the reviews.

 

 

hmm, this sounds like an oxymoron to me, staying "crunchy" at high gain? any time you start loading up the gain, you are going to be "smoothing" out (compressing) the signal. Not sure exactly what you are asking here.

 

also, they typically sell for $300-350 US $. not sure about UK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by mikeSF



hmm, this sounds like an oxymoron to me, staying "crunchy" at high gain? any time you start loading up the gain, you are going to be "smoothing" out (compressing) the signal. Not sure exactly what you are asking here.


also, they typically sell for $300-350 US $. not sure about UK

Crunchy, as opposed to mushy/muddy. Do you not agree that a hi-gain tone can be described as crunchy? How would you describe Metallica's rhythm tone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by Rocinante

Crunchy, as opposed to mushy/muddy. Do you not agree that a hi-gain tone can be described as crunchy? How would you describe Metallica's rhythm tone?

 

 

hmm, well, i definitely would call the metallica rhythm tone "crunchy". yes, the Quad does that great. "Mushy" to me is more a function of power tubes getting pushed too far and losing attack. these term are all so nebulous- good luck finding the sound you are searching for!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by mikeSF



"Mushy" to me is more a function of power tubes getting pushed too far and losing attack. these term are all so nebulous-

 

 

Well think about that.When people refer to any mushy sounding amp its not usually because they have exceeded the headroom of the PA.

 

 

Mushy tone mostly occurs in the preamp where there is too much gain/compression . The Carvin and the Peavey rockmaster are examples of mushy sounding preamps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by Soldano67

Mushy tone mostly occurs in the preamp where there is too much gain/compression . The Carvin and the Peavey rockmaster are examples of mushy sounding preamps.

You see, that is my point. Too much compression = lack of 'crunchiness' = No good for metal. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

huh? i definitely would disagree. IMO the Quad-X excels at metal; i would have to imagine this is what it was conceived for back in the 80's. Wish i had some of my own clips, but here is a link to some guy that does more of a Satriani-sounding thing - at least you can here the nature of the drive created from his Quad-X:

 

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/keithmiller

 

good luck finding your sound

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by mikeSF

huh? i definitely would disagree. IMO the Quad-X excels at metal; i would have to imagine this is what it was conceived for back in the 80's. Wish i had some of my own clips, but here is a link to some guy that does more of a Satriani-sounding thing - at least you can here the nature of the drive created from his Quad-X:




good luck finding your sound

Thanks for the link, Mike. I'm not sure if it's just the way the guy's dialled it in, but the rhythm on those tracks sounds flabby to me, rather than crunchy. I guess the hi-gain tone in the preamp is voiced more for lead than rhythm?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...