Can you guys tell me if this works???

JOROCK

• Members

I have a Mesa Boogie nomad 100 2x12 combo, and wanted to add some rack stuff, namely a t.c. 2290, a t.c. g-force and a dunlop wah. Now can this all just go into the fx loop on my amp, or do I need power conditioners/preamps/poweramps? etc.? im not sure what all of the latter is for? I dont want a massive rack but just some basic effects, I gett all the power and tone I want from my tube combo.

• Members

You should be able to do what you want. As far as what you'll need...You won't need a preamp or a power amp if you use your combo...You might want a power conditioner to plug everything into...you'll probably want some kind of splitter/switcher/mixer for the effects.

• Members

Some of this stuff you won't want in the fx loop.

You'll probobly want the wah before most of the stuff (but that's jsut my pref...).

You might think of your combo as a bow with a preamp a poweramp and a speaker cabinet. It is by defult connected like this:

pre -> power -> speaker

the fx loop is just a way to put stuf between the pre and the power mp. Time based stuff like delay, reverb and chorus, you'll want to put in your fx loop; you'll probobly want the stuff that affects tone before the preamp. But you can do all that with just the units, depending on how you hook everyhting up.

• Members

Okay, if you're doing a combo + effects setup, ignore the whole "mixer/splitter/switcher" thing. You won't need one if you're adding a couple of TC units.

Many guitarists put the wah between the guitar output and the preamp/amp/combo input. Time-based effects (stuff that the 2290 or G-force/g-major would do) go between the preamp & poweramp (i.e. on the effects loop).

So, the way you'll probably want to go about this is something like

guitar -> wah -> nomad input -> T.C. units (effects loop) -> effects return (into the nomad's power section and speakers)

The power conditioner is optional, but it does pay off in the long run. Power conditioners give you more space to plug units in. And they protect against spikes and surges that can blow fuses, tubes or short memory in digital units. Many also have filters that remove EMI and RFI noise from the electricity going into your amp.

Having a combo with an effects rack next to it is not uncommon at all and is a great way to get into the world of rack gear while keeping your basic tone the same.

• Members

yup - el grinder is spot on - you will have to think about how you set up your fx loop though - boogies have a mix level on the loop, which means that if it's on 100% then you'll be sending all the preamp signal through the loop. if your g-force is set to "kill dry" then you'll only hear fx and no dry signal.

i would suggest having the mix level on the loop set to 100% and "kill dry" on the g-force set to off. this means that you'll be able to use things like the noise gate, compressor, tremolo etc which require all of the guitar signal to go through them (rather than mixing some wet and some dry). don't worry about your tone - the g-force is transparent and 20-bit, so you won't notice any difference running it this way.

good luck!

sim

Archived