Running Rack FX units before the preamp??

Sammas

• Members

Ello. another stupid question ;):rolleyes::eek::D

I have a Jtm-45... it has no effect loop due to the design of the amplifier - it uses power tube distortion as its only means of overdrive unlike most (if not all) amps with effects loops that use preamp distortion as there main method to create gain. This is the reason for effects loops... to add time based effects to an already overdriven signal instead of overdriving the already delayed signal which will sound like crap...

With a setup like this, is it possible to run rackmounted effects prior to the preamp? I run delays before it (in pedal form) and they sound great! But im worried about the signal being to strong/weak before the preamp as oposed to in the FX loop...

would units like the G-major, or Intelliverb work ok before the preamp?

• Members

Dude you know better.

Survey says, "NAY!"

It will sound like ass, or worse. :(

Once you add any significant volume it will begin to get weird and quickly become very unsatisfying. I did this with a Budda StringMaster 30 and it was ok at tiny volumes but once volume was needed it got all messy and distorted... the bad distortion. Are you going for an EJ style sound?

• Members

Originally posted by tuvokzeta9

Dude you know better.

Survey says, "NAY!"

It will sound like ass, or worse.
:(

Once you add any significant volume it will begin to get weird and quickly become very unsatisfying. I did this with a Budda StringMaster 30 and it was ok at tiny volumes but once volume was needed it got all messy and distorted... the bad distortion. Are you going for an EJ style sound?

nar... i played an intelliverb and thought it was kinda nice for the $$... hmmm im not gunna bother with adding an effect loop or anything i'll just stick to the floor pedals in front of the amp...

guess i'll spend the money on a couple of GRX-4's. These things are controlled with any universal midi controller ay? not like the GCX which was designed with the ground control pro in mind? I was looking at the Labsystems midimate which looks fantastic... Its much cheaper to buy aussie made stuff here in australia than getting foreign made stuff...

• Members

It depends on how distorted you run your amp. I have a Dr Z Z28 which has no effects loop and is designed more for power tube distortion than preamp distortion. If I run it fairly clean to mild distortion it sounds pretty good with a Lexicon MPX 200 running before it. But if I'm juicing it for something thicker and more aggressive, it's horrid with the Lexicon before it. My best results have been running the Z28 into a THD Hotplate set to take the full speaker load and then line out from the hotplate to the Lexicon and then into a clean power amp. This is a slaving technique that turns the Z28 into more of a preamp (with power tube saturation). Works very nicely.

taco

• Members

Well I guess there really are no rules about running your gear. However, driving a rack uint, especially a time based processor, with a hi z signal before an amp input, especially a tube amp, is not kosher in my corner of the universe... but do what you must. :D

Archived