diezel vh-4 vs jmp1/triaxis/simul 2:90 rack setup

• Members

I play original music, and the only way i can think to describe what we sortof sound close to is a mix of pink floyd, a perfect circle, rush, and the smashing pumpkins. I'll be running whichever amp through a mesa recto 4x12 cab, and i'll have a g-major in the loop. For guitars, I play a hamer usa special with duncan p90s, and a carvin dc-125 with an emg 81 (which is going to be changed for something with considerably less output - maybe a duncan 59). I'm also looking to invest in a hamer usa studio with a duncan JB in the bridge and a 59 in the neck. My budget is about $3200 (for the used diezel head, or for the jmp1/triaxis/simul 2:90/another cab if i have money left over). I've already got a jmp1, but no poweramp to play it through, so if we go with that setup, that brings my budget down a few hundred bucks.

• Members

I myself really like the triaxis + 2:90 setup, the jmp being a classic and identifiable preamp, but the common theme is that people always come back to tube heads/amps. Obviously the 2:90 is an awesome power amp but the vht 2:90:2 sounds phenomenal when used with fx processors, not sure how it would respond to a rack preamp. I've only heard it from a preamp feed from a vh-4 and herbert.

My vote goes to the vh-4. Manageable, not too many settings like a rack unit which can get to be too much at some point. I think 4 channels and your volume knob are enough, but in the pro world, two separate amps and cabs are the way to go. Hence, since you already have the jmp-1 and plan on getting a triaxis and one power amp, all you'd need is a second cab to have a two-amp setup.

Tough call. In my opinion, in the long run, this is a setup I can see...

guitar to switchable buffer/splitter:

vh-4 head

4x12 cabinet

furman power supply

korg rack tuner

jmp-1 -or- triaxis

fx unit

mesa 2:90

2-space junk drawer

2x12 cabinet

That's a nice head on top of cabinet deal with the vh-4, then a 6-8 space setup with the rack (6 if you take out the drawer) you can lift on your own.

Questions? :D;)

• Members
http://www.vhtamp.com/frames.html the GP3 looks very promising and paired with the 2-90-2 you could get some pretty crushing tones and stay within budget ( I'm actually considering this alt. to my Tri but we'll see) or you could go with CAE 3+SE (long wait but seems they are considering some aspects of stand alone pre amps that boogie and others have'nt grasped yet) good hunting and I hope this helps:)

• Members

I would say go with the Diezel if you can find one for that price. Billy is right that you will need some sort of switching system to get the most out of the Triaxis/JMP-1 rack setup (GCX, Patchmate, etc)

Regarding the rack setup...have you checked out the Egnater M4? It is a killer preamp and can get you all the sounds you mentioned depending on which modules you choose to put into it. You should be able to get the Egnater plus either a Mesa 2:90 or VHT 2/50/2 for around your $3200 budget.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr Ten

I myself really like the triaxis + 2:90 setup, the jmp being a classic and identifiable preamp, but the common theme is that people always come back to tube heads/amps. Obviously the 2:90 is an awesome power amp but the vht 2:90:2 sounds phenomenal when used with fx processors, not sure how it would respond to a rack preamp. I've only heard it from a preamp feed from a vh-4 and herbert.

My vote goes to the vh-4. Manageable, not too many settings like a rack unit which can get to be too much at some point. I think 4 channels and your volume knob are enough, but in the pro world, two separate amps and cabs are the way to go. Hence, since you already have the jmp-1 and plan on getting a triaxis and one power amp, all you'd need is a second cab to have a two-amp setup.

Tough call. In my opinion, in the long run, this is a setup I can see...

guitar to switchable buffer/splitter:

vh-4 head

4x12 cabinet

furman power supply

korg rack tuner

jmp-1 -or- triaxis

fx unit

mesa 2:90

2-space junk drawer

2x12 cabinet

That's a nice head on top of cabinet deal with the vh-4, then a 6-8 space setup with the rack (6 if you take out the drawer) you can lift on your own.

Questions?
:D;)

hey!:mad: :mad: pick one!:mad: :mad:

:eek:

:confused:

:(

• Members

I pick the vh-4. Still, I think you will be curious as hell for a loaded rack setup, therefore, while it may or may not be better for you in the long run, I think you just want to get the rack thing going. It may suck since you could have a hard time finding another vh-4 in the future at a a killer deal as they infrequent, you do what your heart tells you to do. I think you want the vh-4 too but you can't let go of getting the rack stuff going. Screw the voting poll, do what you want.

• Members

Hi HoneySpider,

How's that G Major working? I believe you bought mine and I brought it over to your house in Calgary.

Anyways, to answer your question, I would suggest that you get out and try a triaxis 2:90 setup. There are a lot of them floating around in Calgary.

I owned a triaxis/2:90 rig for a while and I thought it was great. They have great cleans and a range of boogie dirty tones. To my ears they could not do the boogie recto tone very well at all. My triaxis had the phat mod as well. They just don't do the low end that the recto does without getting muddy. This wasn't an issue for me since I wasn't chasing that tone.

Ultimately I ended up selling the rig because no matter what I did the dirty tones always sounded like a boogie. Nothing wrong with that, but you don't need 8 modes where half of them sound the same. I ended up buying a Bogner XTC 101b and I am real happy with it so far.

I would suggest you try the Roadking as well. Last time I was in town a couple of dealers had them in stock.

If you want true versatility, I would go for the Diezel. I haven't tried one myself, but from the clips I have heard they sound amazing.

If you buy the Diezel let me know and I will bring my Bogner over next time I'm in town and we can have a high gain amp shootout.

Neil

• Members

hey neil, the G-major is doing real good - the delays, reverbs, and the vibrato just kill :cool:

I'm 99% sure I'm going to pull the trigger on a diezel in a couple months here after I've sold some gear and saved some cash. I'll definitely give you a heads up and we'll have a jam

rock on

dave

• Members

Sorry for that stupid question. I don't know much about rack stuff:

Can't you get a Diezel and when you want a different sound in the future you can buy a preamp and run it thru the effect return into the Diezel? Or are there different signal levels involved? Will this sound like {censored}?

I just lately was at a concert where the guitarist had a Diezel but with lot's of rack stuff too... all controlled with midi (allthough he had no tube preamp in the rack)

Archived