Starting Rack => Pro advice needed

jul

• Members

hey guys, i'm pretty much no to the board

firstly i'll tell u guys me setup:

-Jackson RR-1 ( for the moment Jb in bridge and 59 in neck But i have EMG 81 and 85 lying at home )

-Peavey 5150 ( Blockletter ) Head

-VHT Fat bottom cab with P-50e Speakers

I have been playing 5 years with musical theory lessons by a teacher. I practice minimum 1 hour a day . I can come to 135 4-blacks on the metronome

here's the deal:

I am now starting a rack becuase i want a musch more versetiale Setup. I am Basicly looking for a Brutal Sound ala: Misery index, Nile, Malevolent creation and so on, Basicly a pretty heavey, with ball rattling, sound. This the 5150 can do wothout any problems !

My new project is a verry verry melodic Death-core band

Think a mix between " The black daliah murder " and children of bodom.

And here's the problem: I need a crystal clear swwet lead tone u know the ones that alexi laiho (children of bodom ) has got

and now i am looking to sell my 5150 head with some old stuff :

-Old Bc rich warlock

-Ibanez RG7321

-Marshall VS412 4x12 cab

to start a rack

today i tried out a Mesa 295 poweramp with a formula preamp, and i must say that that preamps sound was damn well {censored}ty !!!!

the guy told me he'd like to trade the 5150 head for the Mesa 295 Poweramp, but i woudn't have much money to buy a preamp

( I Live in Belgium, and Guitar stuff is expensive here !! )

So plz tell me guys wich Poweramp / preamp combinnation will fitt my style.

Thx VERRY much in advance for all your friendly help .

Spart-xAnusx

• Members

i looked around a little bit, and i might go with the ENGL E840/50 Power amp and 530 preamp Setup.

But can any 1 tell me what will be different between a good rack setup and a good head ? i know that the sound won't be that full and thick as a head, but is there really a lot of difference >?

• Members

a good head will "feel" and react differently than a good rack setup. theres a more intimate interaction between the pre and power amp sections in a head than in a rack. to me, its a big difference.

for metal, the engl combo would work great. or if you want midi, check out a voodoo modded ada mp-1. theyre cheaper than a new 530 and they sound fantastic. paired w/ a vht power amp i think youd have a setup youd be happy w/.

• Members

well, theoretically there's no difference between an head and a pre/power rack setup. i guess with a head you have the two aspects designed precisely for each other but with a pre and power, you have to pick and choose wisely.

i will, however, go ahead and completely disagree with the statement that a rack "won't sound as full and thick" as a head. this all depends on your ability to pick complementary units.

-jim

• Members

yeah i too would disagree about the head vs. rack point posted above. i play death/grindcore in the vein of cephalic carnage and creation is crucifixion and i can get a very thick, heavy sound out of my rack. i'm currently running a parker fly classic into a hughes and kettner access preamp into a g-major into a mesa 50/50 into a mesa traditional 4x12 slant cab and i'm very happy with my sound. the access sounds great by itself, but the parametric eq in the g-major really brings it to life. using the 3 band parametric, i can get a very full 5150/recto type sound that still has its own character. as you're figuring all this rack stuff out i'd just like to add that another advantage of a rack set-up that helped to convert me was the simplicity of set up and tear down. everything is self contained, so its just a matter of popping off some lids, plugging in some cables, and playing. whereas with a head set-up i always felt like i was scrounging all through my cases and bags to get all the cables and everything that i needed to get the amp set up. plus there's the protection that having all your gear racked offers...

• Members

thx for the input.

i'll jsut list at what things i have a shot at, and i'll all try em out, byt please acn you guys tell me what the upsides and downsides are for those things

Poweramps:

-Mesa 20 / 20

-Mesa 50 / 50

-Mesa 295

-Engl 840/50

preamps:

-Mesa Quad

-Mesa Formula

-Soldano 77

plz tell me what you think about these. i am tending for the ENGL and the Mesa 295 poweramps and the MEsa quad

• Members

Originally posted by jul

thx for the input.

i'll jsut list at what things i have a shot at, and i'll all try em out, byt please acn you guys tell me what the upsides and downsides are for those things

Poweramps:

-Mesa 20 / 20

-Mesa 50 / 50

-Mesa 295

-Engl 840/50

preamps:

-Mesa Quad

-Mesa Formula

-Soldano 77

plz tell me what you think about these. i am tending for the ENGL and the Mesa 295 poweramps and the MEsa quad

from what you said in your first post, it sounds like an engl pre/ boogie power amp combo would work best. engls are probably cheaper over there than a mesa.

• Members

Remember that if you want a rack setup you don't necessarily need a seperate preamp and poweramp. The Mesa Mark IV short head is rackmountable and is fantasitic for high gain metal when clarity is a major issue. It also has external switching jacks for just about everything so it can be controlled with midi.

• Members

check out : "The black deliah murder" the cd " unhallowed @ i would cal that death-core !!! it's pretty intense and more melodic than ur usual hardcore !! + u got some deep vocals and some speed riffs typical vader stylish so i would call it death-core !!

Archived