didn't think your AC cable was important? THINK AGAIN!

• Members

i don't want it to be true any more than you do...but check this out: http://www.evidenceaudio.com/content/product.html#source

mr. ten has heard the proof and i'll be demo'ing the cable this week...maybe mr. ten will post his opinion.

it's expensive, and worth is a subjective term, but if you got the jack, you might wanna give it a shot. tony is an honest guy with great products, so don't worry about whether or not you're dumping money into some unconcerned corporations already-over-inflated coffers.

-jim

• Members

Joe, you might want to actually read before commenting. Jim is rather experienced at this stuff. And in general on this forum we try to actually listen to what other people are saying and separate opinion from hard fact.

Have anything constructive to add to the thread?

------------------------

Although I'm still using Monster performer 500 cable, I'm pretty interested in the comparison between solid conductors vs. braided conductors like so many manufacturers use.

• Members

not this again? pardon my apparent lapse in memory, but i don't recall this happening before. i can appreciate dissenting opinion, but come on man...

rai-

you sitting down? ok, here are the prices:

3' - $171.30

5' - $189.50

7' - $207.70

10' - $235.00

12' - $253.20

15' - $280.50

20' - $326.00

expensive, huh? if you know anything about tony, you won't question whether or not the price is fair given what it probably costs to build the things.

-jim

• Members

Well, the guy has all of 3 posts, so there's no way he could be commenting on this as a similar thread to anything else he had on here...

My guess is that we have a troll.

Anyway though, I've actually wanted to custom-cut my A/C cords for a LONG time. I have a bundle of excess cable from my Triaxis and Strategy just rolled neatly next to my rack. I'd love to get rid of it though.

• Members

Originally posted by El Grinder

Well, the guy has all of 3 posts, so there's no way he could be commenting on this as a similar thread to anything else he had on here...

My guess is that we have a troll.

Anyway though, I've actually wanted to custom-cut my A/C cords for a LONG time. I have a bundle of excess cable from my Triaxis and Strategy just rolled neatly next to my rack. I'd love to get rid of it though.

It's simple enough really. I'm not sure if you HAVE to solder the ends as most of the ends I've found just have screw down terminals...

As far as Big Joe goes I'd guess he is an experienced player but has seen this argument around the internet and simply stated not this again as in I've seen this argument before and it's gotten ugly. I personally have seen the argument before but never got into details.

Damn Jim those prices are steep - it's gotta be some super duper hi quality stuff otherwise I could not imagine why the price to be so large...I'd love to talk to Tony about details...

Rai

www.DatsMusic.com

• Members

Hello y'all...

Yes, I was there for the christening moment of yet another pricy revelation that has proclaimed itself "worth it." I myself only recommend spending the buck for amplifiers only and for short runs either within racks or from cases close to one another, ie: 5 feet of cable. I don't mind spending a couple hundred each for a couple cables after hearing what I did, then again, I'm into this high-end gear crap. Would I buy one for every amp? Hell no, always preference.

"The Source" Evidence Audio power cable made a regular cable sound like the amp was low on batteries, that dying and distorted weakness as if a pedal were about to go. The disparity in quality was greater than an instrument cable shootoff between the regular stuff and a Lyric HG, Tara Labs, Two-Rock, Zaolla, etc., for example. The A/B test of power cables (the stock being a Barber hospital-grade cable, not bad at all) was done on several amps plugged right into the wall, no line conditioners or regulators of any sort, just the wall of a standard industrial building.

In my opinion, this cable would befit 1% of the music community. I will buy a couple when the time comes, as great as they do sound, but I'm alive without it and it's not at the top of my list, but a "definite" purchase in the future. The difference is undeniable.

BTW, I'm not here as someone to plug products or spam for anyone, I like high end stuff and I figure when you get to the top as far as well-made things go, they're all going to be relatively pricier (not that I accept, believe, or hope for such) and there will still be a selection for the customer. For example, I won't tell someone to go buy a Lyric-HG and that's it. The Zaolla cables have a different vibe, also very well made, lesser quality connectors (as far as tour stories go), but the sound is what I'm talking about.

Anyways, rock on. This topic will inform those who care and enflame those who don't. Choose wisely, take care.

• Members

Originally posted by sapphireskiss

when I can figure out how I want my rig wired:rolleyes: it will be all EVIDENCE:cool: thanks Jim for the heads up, you are a man on a mission;)

I will be ordering a spool of Lyric HG myself, when the time comes to wire up the rack the same... along with a bulk of Neutrik connectors and whatnot. Tony is close by, met him recently, nice, knowledgeable guy. Trustworthy and straightforward, A+. I feel like I just wrote a positive feedback review for an eBay purchase. ;):D

• Members

Yea Tony is def. the man - I have my whole rack wired up (or will be complete shortly) w Evidence stuff and I certainly noticed a clarity over regular patch cables and my monster stuff I did have. Or should I say I preferred the Evience over the Monster?

Either way I'm def. curious if you say you heard a difference as I trust your judgement from your experience - seeing you around numerous boards and all...Now I wonder why it is "stronger" sounding than a normal AC Cable - as well how would the effects of using a voltage regulator (AR-1215) affect the tone as well. Would you notice a difference as much w a regulated supply of current?

Rai

www.DatsMusic.com

• Members

Okay, I know I only have a few posts so don't kill me, please.

Why in God's name would you pay this much for a power cable on a guitar amp? Are we talking studio racks or live setups. If you're talking studio gear maybe, but in a live setup? I'm not trying to piss anyone off, just looking for clarification 'cause I don't get it.

Jake

• Members

*shrug* some of us just want the absolute best sound possible and will spend insane amounts to get there. A rack has a lot of little parts and the whole thing is only as strong as the weakest link. So, it just stands to reason that if you want the best possible rack, you'd have to make sure every single component has the best possible sound for you.

• Members

How much is a $200 power cable going to improve your tone when it's plugged into a wall outlet wired up with $0.20/ft Romex cable, which is connected to a 20+ year old transformer on the pole outside?

Was this a double-blind test? If not, I suspect you've fallen victim to the placebo effect.

-Dan.

• Members

Originally posted by smallhouse

Okay, I know I only have a few posts so don't kill me, please.

Why in God's name would you pay this much for a power cable on a guitar amp? Are we talking studio racks or live setups. If you're talking studio gear maybe, but in a live setup? I'm not trying to piss anyone off, just looking for clarification 'cause I don't get it.

Jake

Hmm me personally moreso for recording - but I want my live gear up to a cetain level. I'd prob run the stuff in my rack anyway and no more than 3' of it as my head sits on top of my rack anyhow. Studio wise - I'm all about the most direct tone (amp to gtr w as little in btwn minus the VHT Valvulator) so I personally want my rig to sound as best as possible in the studio. Let's put it this way - if I actually notice a difference, it's worth it to me. But I understand your point fully and agree w you - there's a certain point you need to say enough's enough - but that point is different for everyone lol...

Rai

www.DatsMusic.com

• Members

not necessarily...the wiring in your house/club/etc. is probably solid wire if it's relatively new...although dan brings up a good point about the remainder of the electrical in the place...i think (rather than know) that this is main catalyst behind the SOURCE ac cables: solid conductor. as tony likes to do, he has multiple and isolated solid wires carrying the same thing (he does the same thing with the SIREN).

given the price, i probably won't be able to wire my entire rack with the stuff...it'd cost at least 500 bucks...but if i could, i would. i don't doubt that there's a positive difference and i certainly wouldn't let the price make me hesitant to believe...just hesitant to buy.

nonetheless, i'll be demo'ing the SOURCE sometime this week and i'll try to commit a non-biased review. i don't get paid for saying good stuff about his merchandise, i don't get discounts, etc. so i'll do my best to be honest. i mean, i really do believe in what tony is doing, but if he sends me a shoebox full of poop, i'm gonna say "well, it's a shoebox full of poop."

-jim

• Members

How much is a $200 power cable going to improve your tone when it's plugged into a wall outlet wired up with $0.20/ft Romex cable, which is connected to a 20+ year old transformer on the pole outside?

My thoughts exactly. I have recently been thrown into power generation as my company has just put in a 1.3 Mega Watt generation plant. There is a messurement of not only the voltage of power but how clean that power is, somthing called a Kilo Var. You would not beleave how "dirty" the power that comes from Edison is. Looking foward to Jim's test.

• Members

Originally posted by IsildursBane

Was this a double-blind test? If not, I suspect you've fallen victim to the placebo effect.

-Dan.

Bingo.

I too work in the electrical industry, I sell and distribute wire.

THe weakest link thing holds true and if your source power is crap then your 200$ cables arent going to help much.

Solid vs. stranded is a hotly contested issue from what I have read and heard from my industry cohorts. Many engineers I know swear by solid. They say power is distributed more evenly. I have no proof to back this up (Im not sure if they really do either) but enough of them have said it that there just might be somthing to it.

If you wire your whole system from as close to the source as possible with high quality wire (solid or stranded) then you are going to notice improvements.

I just rewired by studio (both live and recording rooms) with stranded wire and have noticed minor improvements, enough so that it was definetly worth it for recording anyway. Allthough I did get all the wire and supplies for free ;)

Honestly though If your looking for improvements in a home based setup you would be better off spending your money rewiring your sound rooms on isolated lines with good cable (its not that expensive) and investing in a voltage regulator.

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by IsildursBane

-Dan.

The a/b test was done plugged straight into a wall outlet of an industrial building's office space. The basic cable used was a standard amp cable, nothing noticeably cheap or superior. The evidence cable was about 5' and very HD. This wasn't a blind test as the testing was done on the spot, eyes closed at times, but the difference was obvious.

I'm the most skeptical of such situations but I'm 100% positive that anyone here would hear the difference; not everyone would be "WOW that's incredible," but some would spend the buck, others wouldn't. Regardless of whatever else was involved, the cable on its own did what it did. Sorry if I don't have the theoretical explanatives to lay everything out, just telling you what I observed.

Maybe there should be a NAMM show for HC forumites only, exhibiting the most obscure of such things for all to witness, anyways, as absurd as this seems, enjoy, I guess.

• Members

Originally posted by sonik777

Honestly though If your looking for improvements in a home based setup you would be better off spending your money rewiring your sound rooms on isolated lines with good cable (its not that expensive) and investing in a voltage regulator.

:cool:

See I was going to ask (or did) about the voltage regulator. I mean hyptohetically if I got these AC Cables and used them w a Voltage Reg. (Furman AR-1215) would I benefit more than if I didn't use the votlage regulator? Do I have to worry about "dirty" power w the voltage regulator? Prob not right?

I'll say this - I'm mainly interested in this for my amp head. I hadn't even thought about the tonal possibilities for everything else in the rack...food for thought for sure.

Rai

www.DatsMusic.com

• Members

Originally posted by Rai168

I'm mainly interested in this for my amp head.

I myself would ONLY do this for my amp heads, not for rack processors and such. We hadn't tried this with anything other than amps, maybe we'll try it out.

• Members

The a/b test was done plugged straight into a wall outlet of an industrial building's office space. The basic cable used was a standard amp cable, nothing noticeably cheap or superior. The evidence cable was about 5' and very HD. This wasn't a blind test as the testing was done on the spot, eyes closed at times, but the difference was obvious.

I still suspect placebo effect. It's a powerful thing, that's why medical trials are double-blind. In a single-blind test, even a well-intentioned doctor could inadvertently sway the perception of the patient and render the results of the study invalid.

-Dan.

Archived