best cables to wire up my rack?

david_d

• Members

There's a TON to debate about all of this. I will not say that they are "the best" but Monster cables work for me in my rack. Evidence Audio gets a lot of praise for being excellent. George L's have the advantage for custom wiring since they have the solderless connectors. Van Den Hul is also considered as excellent cable.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you decide exactly how much cable you need in what lengths, then get the type that fits closest to your budget.

• Members

Monster... :mad:

I hate Monster...but that's just my opinion. Don't get me wrong...they are good, but you can do better...sometimes for far less money. Monster=overpriced

As far as cable lengths...The only way to get them the lengths you want them is to make them yourself...

Buy however much cable it will take to wire something (plus some exta just in case ;) ) Then buy some good connectors (Neutrik) and cut and solder away.

I use George L cable and Neutrik connectors. Eventually they will be changed out in favor of Evidence cable.

My recommendations for cable...

Big Budget - Van Den Hul

Medium Budget - Evidence

Average Budget - George L

Small Budget - Live Wires(buy a 30 footer and chop it up)

My recommendations for connectors...

NEUTRIK!!!

Switchcraft are OK...but Neutrik are better.

• Members

I agree...

Solderless=bad

With that said...I HAVE used them before.

When I first got into rack, I used the solderless ends until I got my rack setup the way I wanted it and was done moving things around. Once that was set, out they came and in with the Neutrik connectors and solder.

Convienient...yes, but reliable, no...

It's not so much a matter of IF they will go bad...it WHEN.

• Members

"Evidence Audio if you want to be able to brag to everybody that you actually have more money invested in your cables than you do in your actual rack gear."

if memory serves, i paid around 40 bucks for my 12' monster "jazz" cables and tony/evidence charges about the same for his 10'...well worth the extra $$$ in my opinion. there are plenty of even-more-expensive options...

-jim

• Members
Originally posted by friendobill

Mogami 2524.

Low capacitance, cheap, easy to work, easy to find.

At 130 pf/m, not really considered low. Actually its kinda high for instrument cable, but I have some and its very pliable. Perfect for tight places like you say, easy to work with. You have to be careful though with the black insulation surrounding the inner wire. This needs to be stripped off, and not allowed to touch the + hot wire. I found a few problems with my setup because I failed to take the time to check every connection. This can result in more highs rolled off to ground, and a muddy signal. Most guys know that, but I didn't until a read it on another site. I think is was Lord Valve's site, can't remember. Anyway, the 2524 is a favorite of Scott Henderson, who is my God, and if its good enough for him, well, you know the rest. But I'm still a fan of Tony and Evidence Audio, and have two Lyrics from a yew years ago that are going strong. The EA's are my favorite from guitar into pedalboard. I usually go into a Burn Unit first, followed by a Black Cat OD-1. Then into a Drivetrain II with its buffered bypass, into a EB volume pedal, into a Voodoo RM-1 [another buffered bypass pedal] and to the amp. THat way I buffer in and out of my volume. I've noticed a difference doing this. I cant tell the difference between the Mogami and George L's after the last buffer, the length to the amp, so I'm saving my extra Lyric for a rainy day! FWIW:)

Archived