Surprised by the volume of a 2:90 the other day.

• Members

I was in a music store and there was a guy trying out a Triaxis. He had it going into a Mesa 2:90 poweramp. I've always secretly wanted one but avoided them because while I do want something with some power sometimes, like if I had an outdoor gig..... but the rest of the time I'm going to be recording or jamming in small rooms with.

This guy had it at about bedroom level and it sounded really good. I didn't know that they would even go that low. I'm sure it probably sounded better when opened up but it did sound good this way. I don't know where the volume on the poweramp or preamp was.

• Members

*drops head*... man.. you just had to post that... Yes, yet again, I've been considering trading in my Strategy 500 for a 2:Ninety simply to drop the power and weight. The Strategy sounds so good, but bedroom level is simply something the amp was not made for.

*sigh*

• Members

I bought two THD Hotplate attenuaters to load down my 2:90 so that I could use it at bedroom level. I can turn up both sides of the amp about 1/2 way, load it down by around 12db and it sounds killer at a very managable volume. You should definitely try a THD if you get a chance. They're the {censored}!!

Archived