you Idiots. nobody uses stupid racks anymore.

• Members

Originally posted by crashingdomino

i guess racks might confuse your small mind with all of this switching and routing business
:D

no, actually I subscribe to the modern technological wonder known as miniaturization. you may have heard of it, but probably not. you see, racks have the poor image and perception of pre-historic hardware that only wahs-ups clinging to the past tend to use. those in the know gravitate towards more lightweight optimized solutions for their tone and power. make sure you keep plenty of Advil on hand, morons. :D

• Members

I don't see "rack" and miniaturization as opposing forces -- you just start doing VLSI (I mean look at the feature set in the modern rack as opposed to the earlier equipment)

BUT

Miniturization carries with it some problems...

1) UI difficulties (this has been a major hurdle with PDAs for instance and even the front panel of current rack gear...look how the encoders on a peavey spectrum are shoehorned)

2) cooling -- If you are mini-izing a power amp and are getting rid of cooling room...it probably better be switchmode !!!

3) field repair...I like some older rack gear b/c I find it easy to service as there is room in there to work..e..Even on full on DSP gear..good chassis design makes replacing encoders and other components subject to mechanical wear easier.

AS contrast...avionics...ugh avionics.

4) mechnical protection overhead...It's funny to see things get miniature and then need extra mechanical protective cases (offseting the miniaturization benefit in many cases) esp as early adopter miniaturization is way expensive...Laptops are a very good example....tyou see folks with their ultralights in bigger padding, meanwhile Joe tech has his ruggedized sailing laptop that you can submerge and they are about the same encumberance

Equpiment racks are nice as things are standardized -- that's the main deal. I can mount a PC, a preamp, a Tape player, a friggin shortwave radio or whatever right there. No toppling oddly shaped bubbles that need an semi-custom protective case to throw in the van at 3am...and whencases get to different sizes and shapes, space efficiency can go down as you tetris them in...in that way, rack can be MORE space efficient than an arbitrary collection of enclosure dimensions (that' why you do it in server rooms and in field applications where space is important)

But in the end, I think you are *really* talking about the scale of integration with can lead to smallerfunctional elements as opposed to just straight miniaturization

I think it's important to remember that integration level isn't strictly enclosure dependant, but using the standard enclosure do benefit the VLSI space-saving efforts in many many cases.

• Members

Originally posted by MorePaul

I don't see "rack" and miniaturization as opposing forces -- you just start doing VLSI (I mean look at the feature set in the modern rack as opposed to the earlier equipment)

BUT

Miniturization carries with it some problems...

1) UI difficulties (this has been a major hurdle with PDAs for instance and even the front panel of current rack gear...look how the encoders on a peavey spectrum are shoehorned)

2) cooling -- If you are mini-izing a power amp and are getting rid of cooling room...it probably better be switchmode !!!

3) field repair...I like some older rack gear b/c I find it easy to service as there is room in there to work..e..Even on full on DSP gear..good chassis design makes replacing encoders and other components subject to mechanical wear easier.

AS contrast...avionics...ugh avionics.

4) mechnical protection overhead...It's funny to see things get miniature and then need extra mechanical protective cases (offseting the miniaturization benefit in many cases) esp as early adopter miniaturization is way expensive...Laptops are a very good example....tyou see folks with their ultralights in bigger padding, meanwhile Joe tech has his ruggedized sailing laptop that you can submerge and they are about the same encumberance

Equpiment racks are nice as things are standardized -- that's the main deal. I can mount a PC, a preamp, a Tape player, a friggin shortwave radio or whatever right there. No toppling oddly shaped bubbles that need an semi-custom protective case to throw in the van at 3am...and whencases get to different sizes and shapes, space efficiency can go down as you tetris them in...in that way, rack can be MORE space efficient than an arbitrary collection of enclosure dimensions (that' why you do it in server rooms and in field applications where space is important)

But in the end, I think you are *really* talking about the scale of integration with can lead to smallerfunctional elements as opposed to just straight miniaturization

I think it's important to remember that integration level isn't strictly enclosure dependant, but using the standard enclosure do benefit the VLSI space-saving efforts in many many cases.

wow, talk about getting trolled. lol.

• Members

Mainly as an exercise to clearly define my own reasoning

That, and try to avoid it as he might, the troll just may come away with some new thoughts!

He's prob about 15, so maybe he just needs some mental stimulation and doesn't know how to ask for it

• Members

Well the reason I like rack gear is for this one simple reason...

After spending hard earned cash on your equiptment, you want to protect it.

The easiest way to protect (and haul) it is to put it in a rack case.

How many times have you seen careless roadies (and drummers) just take your pedals and other easy to throw items and just toss it in on top of everything else?

• Members

Another good reason for running RACK GEAR, is why settle for one head or maybe two and be limited to just that tone? I have 3 MP-1's all modded completely different (soon to have a forth) And I have a Million different tones at any time I want them.

• Members

The one that anunnaki had for sale.

That is unless someone else got it...

Anyways, some guy had one on a Dutch auction site and not giving a price. I emailed the guy and he wanted 500 Euro for it (no foot pedal either). I emailed him back and told him that they are only worth about 200 Euro with the foot pedal.

• Members

Originally posted by gunslinger

Another good reason for running RACK GEAR, is why settle for one head or maybe two and be limited to just that tone? I have 3 MP-1's all modded completely different (soon to have a forth) And I have a Million different tones at any time I want them.

Sadly, they all suck.

Archived