Marshall 9200 vs. VHT 2/50/2

dogula

• Members

I have been interested in looking into the VHT because of all the buzz I have been hearing about it. I know most people think the VHT will sound better but has anyone hear actually compared the two? I have a 9200 now and my main concern is that the VHT will not hang with the Marshall in the volume department. The 9200 hundred is loud at about 5 and starts to get ridiculous at about 6. Also does the VHT really sound that much better?

• Members

I've tried other marshall poweramps in the store but not the 9200. However, owning the vht 2-50-2 I can tell you it is a fantastic unit. It's clear, articulate and compact (only 2u). Regarding the volume, well, in live situation I usually use only one side, with the level about 12:00 and it is more than enough for me. Since it is a high quality design, the level control is very usable and you can raise it without loosing your tone.

Hektor

• Members

I realize that you are looking for an A/B comparison but the main point I think in comparing these 2 amps is quality.

VHT makes a super simple yet awesome quality amp.There isn't any bull crap in there that isn't necesarry like on my Boogie 290.

My electronics tech and other gear users that I know all feel that there is some cheesey construction in the marshall and I tend ot agree with that.I am no technician though so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I feel that the main difference between the two amps is that the Marshall will not take the kind of abuse that the VHT can and the VHT sounds transparent while still sounding warm.I don't think you'll hear a night and day difference between the two amps necesarally.

• Members

The VHT power amps have incredible headroom, tons of clarity, and a linear volume taper with no dirty breakup at all. It's perfect and if I needed power amps, they would be the way to go. I don't like anything else VHT but their power amps. Marshalls have a dirty character and I guess I'm over them. Sorry I can't help you out much more but the VHT gets the highest of praise from me. :rolleyes:

• Members

Thanks for the replies. The Marshall does sound kinda trashy and loud. I have also heard some issues with construction although in the 6 years that I have used it nothing major has happened. The VHT sparks my interest because of the transperancy and the cool volume control. It sounds nice!

• Members

I think the new Randall power amp needs to be looked at. One side 6L6 the other side El34 and it's midi switchable between side a and side b (!). Only 50 a side but so is the vht.

It also has a biasing panel and they say you can bias new tubes yourself in minutes. Now, if it only sounds good.

I think it is the same price as the VHT new. As long as you are looking, you might want to look that way.

• Members

I was thinking about the Randall poweramp. I just bought an Egnater M4 and I know the Randall (or Egnater) was designed with this preamp in mind. Unfortunately I just haven't heard much about them. All I hear about the VHT is good. The Marshall gets the job done but it could be better. I think it does sound a little harsh especially with the recto module. Even though the 9200 has 5881/6L6 tubes it sounds a little fried at times. The recto sounds real trashy and brutle like a true recto, but it lacks a little bit of the roundness and bottom end. I think the poweramp is probably the missing link!

• Members

Originally posted by davenit

I think the new Randall power amp needs to be looked at. One side 6L6 the other side El34 and it's midi switchable between side a and side b (!). Only 50 a side but so is the vht.

It also has a biasing panel and they say you can bias new tubes yourself in minutes. Now, if it only sounds good.

I think it is the same price as the VHT new. As long as you are looking, you might want to look that way.

I have my 2:50:2 set up like that (EL34's in one side & 6L6's in the other)

When i got it back after a bit of a service i tried out the EL34's on their own & loved them, loved them so much i havent bothered trying out the 6L6's:D

I really should try getting around to that someday soon:p

• 4 weeks later...

Archived