JJ's in my Triaxis? Any reason not to?

• Members

I think the're great. A lot of people whine about how "the're too dark"... boo {censored}in' hoo.

I beleive that these people a treble monsters, and aren't happy unless the treble content is at a level worthy of a ice pick murdering you in the ears. :rolleyes:

If yer' a gain freak, then ask for some tested to be that way, and you'll be alright.

It's the most focused tube I've tried, and I don't have to pay $40 a piece for them either... :rolleyes: I equate the sensation of hearing these tubes as the same as when I hit the Simul-Class switch on a Boogie power amp for the first time when I was like 15, or 16. It just has the "vibe" that stands out to me.

I recomend Eurotubes, because Bob "gets it", and is a tube amp freak. Also, customer service goes a long way with me, and his emails, and delivery were prompt, and to the point. I don't need to take {censored} from people, so I can spend my money. Ya' know what I mean? Bob is a cool guy.

BTW, I have a Triaxis too.

• Members

Originally posted by El Grinder

eh, well about "boo {censored}in' hoo" like I said, I was just passing along the popular concensus on JJ preamp tubes in Mesa gear. Personally I'll stick with my Telefunkens. *shrug*

That wasn't a shot at you. A lot of people say that.

Also, when I clicked to reply, your reply wasn't there yet.

Not personal.

• Members

No problem.. I won't take it personally then. I mean, great if JJ's do work for you, I was just spreading the general opinion that I've mostly seen about them. JJ's may work well for him too, actually, but he won't know unless he tries them. I'd actually suggest just trying them since they are much cheaper than any NOS tubes.

• Members

I have replaced all of my tubes with JJ's in the following equipment and have been VERY happy with the results. I didn't really find them to be that dark. Some people will say they are dark simply because they take some of that harsh edge off of your tone if you are using a sovtek or something like that.

Marshall JMP-1

Mesa Boogie Quad

Mesa Boogie 20/20

• Members

A while back I spent a couple of months experimenting with different tubes in my Triaxis. I settled on a combination of two JJ's, two EH's and a Mesa SPAX7. I forget exactly which tubes went in which slots but I can go look if you want.

I REALLY like JJ's in my ADA MP-1, but they don't sound so good in my Triple Giant. The EH's sound good in the Triple Giant. Fortunately preamp tubes are cheap, so just get a few different brands to try and experiment until you find something that works.

• Members

I really like JJ's and have used (and use) them in several of my poweramps.

BUT!!! My quest for Triaxis preamp tubes lead me to use Electro Harmonix (spelling?). Hint try a 12AT7 tube in V3.

Mind you, I've tried Mesa, Groove Tube, JJ's and EH.

Again I use JJ's for both 12ax7 and EL84 in my Mesa 20/20.

I also run JJ EL84's in my DC3.

So, IMO for power tubes (at least for me), JJ's can't be beat.

But I found EH's a tad more "ballsey" when called upon and still perform well clean.

My 2cents anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by El Grinder

Not personal experience, but from what I've heard, JJ preamp tubes are kinda dark sounding.

I have tried a gret many power tubes adn preamp tubes from JJ electronics (bought through Bob) and have found them ot be anything but dark.I find them to be extremely tight and crisp without being harsh.

I think they are perfect for the triaxis because the triaxis is actually dark sounding compared to some other preamps.There are other great tubes but I truly find the JJ's to be consistently tight,clear, and as reliable as the other tubes I own or have owned.

• Members

Originally posted by Simon LeBon

JJ's are made in Nicaraguan sweat-shops by children working for slave wages in deplorable hot steamy subtropical bug-infested malarial swamp conditions. Is that enough?

Sounds like the sticker old OC reverb tanks :) - hey you could install one of those and balance them out!

• Members

Originally posted by Pauly

I have tried a gret many power tubes adn preamp tubes from JJ electronics (bought through Bob) and have found them ot be anything but dark.I find them to be extremely tight and crisp without being harsh.

I think they are perfect for the triaxis because the triaxis is actually dark sounding compared to some other preamps.There are other great tubes but I truly find the JJ's to be consistently tight,clear, and as reliable as the other tubes I own or have owned.

I'll augment my previous comments by explaining my Triaxis is the non-phat version.

As such, mine isn't too dark sounding to my ears. So I was looking for a "full er" 12ax7 tube opting for EH's.

Hey these are only opinions. ECC83's are cheap enough to experiment with to find whats right for you.

Archived