midi foot controller question

• Members

got a quick question for you guys that use analog switching preamps and midi switching effects units.

i use a boogie studio pre and a midiverb(for now).i want to be able to hit one button and have the preamp switch channels and the midiverb change presets.is there a footcontroller out that will do this?

ps sorry if this is a redundant post but the search feature on the forums here is not working.

• Members

The Behringer FCB1010 will do it. It's only $139 new.

You get what you pay for. It's not the most robust of the floorboards, but if you've got the patietence to program it and can't afford something better, then that's the one.

I would recommend a nicer floorboard and either a switcher (for the amp) or something like the G-Major (It had a built-in switcher and you get FX).

• Members

so i could just use the floorboard that i have now and put a switcher in the rack to convert the midi signal into a signal that would change the channels on the mesa?

if i am understanding this right - could you give me the names of a couple of companies that make switchers or point me in the direction of where i should go to read up on the subject?

thanks

• Members

A switcher is a box that you connect to your amp though a 1/4" cable (just like the footswitch). When you send a MIDI message to the switcher, it shorts the propper wires (just like what happens in your footswitch).

What floorboard are you using? Some will work better than other, some won't work at all, depending on the equipment.

The reason I recommended the G-Major is because it sounded like you were planning on ditching the FX unit you have. The G-Major comes with a built-in Switcher and would save a lot of money. Plus, it should work with the floorboard you have. You might still want a better floorboard if it doesn't allow you to do all the possible functions.

• Members

Originally posted by EVH Wolfgang

...recommended the G-Major is because it sounded like you were planning on ditching the FX unit you have. The G-Major comes with a built-in Switcher and would save a lot of money...

Another effects unit that does switching is the Rocktron Replifex. I have this unit, and I really like it. It may not have all the bells and whistles of the G-Major, but it's not nearly the cost either. I had a G-Major, and not only did the new one I got from Musician's Friend need service immediately (some problem interpreting a mono input), but when I got it back from the factory, one of the buttons was stuck when they re-attached the faceplate. So, I tried a Replifex in lieu of that unit, and never looked back...

Another option, if you want to keep your Midiverb is to get a Axess Electronics CFX4. It has 4 1/4" jacks used for external switching of devices and is MIDI controllable. I had one mounted in my rack prior to the Replifex in there.

Good luck!

• Members

Oh, I didn't know the Replifex had the switching ability. I would have suggested a Rocktron product first :p

I also didn't know the X-15 did that :o

I know there was a bad batch of G-Majors w/ that problem. I know that they've fixed it now and if you buy one new, you shouldn't have that problem, or like you did, have an older one fixed.

I can't believe they botched yours like that :eek:

I will try the new software this weekend and see if that helps the tone any. That new "Dry Kill" for Parallel setups looks like it might be what it's been missing.

I hope he gets the idea at least of how it's supposed to work.

• Members

I'm not sure which Rocktron units do and do not have the capability, but it's usually a decent bet...Rocktron was pretty quick on the draw with this..even the old progap has 2 channel switchers

It's a really convenient feature...I wish it was sort of the standard

I just wish the X-15 used better buttons and shielded the opto pedals from light (if you get a footlight pointed up into the X-15 the CCs can wonk out)

• Members

Originally posted by MorePaul

I'm not sure which Rocktron units do and do not have the capability, but it's usually a decent bet...Rocktron was pretty quick on the draw with this..even the old progap has 2 channel switchers

My Intellifex doesn't have that feature. I didn't know that was even common for Rocktron products :confused:

It's a really convenient feature...I wish it was sort of the standard

I just wish the X-15 used better buttons and shielded the opto pedals from light (if you get a footlight pointed up into the X-15 the CCs can wonk out)

Yeah, it could definatly use some nicer switches. As reliable as the ones are on my GC Pro, they are a bit noisy :p

I've had those optical position type of pedals on my POD Floorboard and an RP-7, I've never had an issue with light interference. That's pretty bad. Are you able to open it up and add something to block outside light?

• Members

Originally posted by MorePaul

My Intellifex doesn't have that feature. I didn't know that was even common for Rocktron products :confused:

I think they tend (or tended anyway) to put these on "preamp" type units as opposed to their "effects/verb" type units

Yeah, it could definatly use some nicer switches. As reliable as the ones are on my GC Pro, they are a bit noisy :p

I've had those optical position type of pedals on my POD Floorboard and an RP-7, I've never had an issue with light interference. That's pretty bad. Are you able to open it up and add something to block outside light?

Taping some cardboard right in front of the pedal seems to help

I''m honestly not sure if they are using visible light or IR...they have the little tab just like Morleys.

Often you can kick it into different position/orientation and kill whatever it's seeing

It's inconvenient though as you're never quite sure when it's going to happen...I don't think it happens to many people that often, but it is a hidden gotcha

• Members

man - you guys are great!! i was reading over the units you all suggested and i think im gonna go with a replifex and my current footcontroller ( midibuddy). the replifex looks like its gonna do everything i need AND allow me to replace my midiverb in the rack.(as i was looking for something with more modulation based effects anyway)

thanks alot for the help

• Members

I had an Intellifex LTD before I bought my Replifex. I decided to change effects units because I wanted the other effects the Replifex offers (tremolo, rotary speaker, etc) and the channel switching feature, because I was using a Peavey Rockmaster preamp. The Replifex also has a tap tempo jack on the rear of it as well that you can assign to any parameters. Last (but certainly not least), it sounds wonderful! I think it's a great unit!!

• Members

I know there was a bad batch of G-Majors w/ that problem. I know that they've fixed it now and if you buy one new, you shouldn't have that problem

Yeah - when I talked to the service dept at TC Electronics, the guy told me that the defective units all fell into a certain serial number range. Mine happened to be in that range. He also said that all retailers had been notified of this, and they were to send them in for repair, instead of having the customer discover the situation. Thanks Musicians Friend... ;)

I can't believe they botched yours like that
:eek:

My second phone call to the same guy at the service dept didn't go so well. When I told him what was going on, he asked me to send it in for service - again. I told him thanks, but no thanks. I'll return the unit and go with something else.

It looks like a great unit, and I have heard glowing reviews of it. It's just in my experience, it left a bitter taste...

• Members

That sucks that you got the bad vibe from them. I think the product is a great piece of machinery that gets better all the time.

For example, if I wanted to upgrade my POD Pro, I have to BUY an upgrade chip. Then, open it up and swap it out.

These simple software updates are very convienient and make improvements that I thought you'd have to swap chips and other parts to get these results!

It seems they started with a good processor and left lots of room for upgrades and not let the product go obsolete.

I am happy that you managed to find a good Rocktron replacement.

I'm debating now if I should keep my Intellifex in the rack :confused:

Archived