Re-tubing a Triaxis - what brand 12AX7?

• Members

I want to re-tube my Triaxis, in that I think the Mesa tubes that were in it may be questionable as the previous owner had suggested to me. A friend of mine borrowed me a set of 12AX7s that came out of his Bogner Ecstasy head. Between pairing it with a Mesa 20/20 and the tube swap, it has really woken up.

I have read about people using JJs. The local amp shop here made some mention about JJ 12AX7AC tubes, some new offering from them. What brands would you guys recommend, and where could I find them online?

Thanks!

• Members

I prefer Electro Harmonix for preamp tubes in the Triaxis. I do run a JJ 12AT7 in V3.

My Triaxis also happens to be the non-phat if it makes any difference to you.

(It sure does to me)

JJ's are awesome in poweramps as I use them in both my 20/20 and Peavey classic 50/50.

Lately I reinstalled the Peavey using only one Mesa 4x12.

Holy {censored}!!!! Wow:D

• Members

You can use JJ Tesla, they sound mid and dark. You can also use Sovtek LPS(Russian R2) from www.mesaboogie.com. They are cheap and good.

12AX7 LPS have more gain, more high, more bass and sound more metal. You should buy them if you are a metal head. If you want a soft sound, less gain buy JJ from www.eurotubes.com

Anyway dont expect to much change if your tubes are already new...

• Members

Originally posted by Musicman2000

I prefer Electro Harmonix for preamp tubes in the Triaxis. I do run a JJ 12AT7 in V3.

My Triaxis also happens to be the non-phat if it makes any difference to you.

(It sure does to me)

Just your stock EH 12AX7? I have seen many of those on ebay... maybe I'll pull the trigger on a set.

JJ's are awesome in poweramps as I use them in both my 20/20 and Peavey classic 50/50.

Lately I reinstalled the Peavey using only one Mesa 4x12.

Holy {censored}!!!! Wow:D

I own a Classic 50/50 and just got a 20/20. I think the 50/50 is going on the auction block. Do you notice a crazy volume difference between the two, or is it just me?? I think the 20/20 sounds so much more 'alive' and just plain LOUD!

• Members

"Just your stock EH 12AX7? I have seen many of those on ebay... maybe I'll pull the trigger on a set."

Yeah I use stock EH's.

Again it's the blend I was looking for in a non-phat Triaxis.

"I own a Classic 50/50 and just got a 20/20. I think the 50/50 is going on the auction block. Do you notice a crazy volume difference between the two, or is it just me?? I think the 20/20 sounds so much more 'alive' and just plain LOUD!"

The 20/20 is definetly LOUDER and more Ballsey as all Mesa's are.

I did the reverse. I had my 20/20 for some 3 years now. About a year ago I scored the 50/50 mostly because I was interested in the speaker out options. (4/8/16, direct etc.)

I was using the 20/20 primarily and just switched over for giggles.

Perhaps my earlier WOW comment was misunderstood. I was referring to the dynamic responsiveness of the 50/50, not the volume. Sorry if it was confusing.

Anyway, both P Amps have their advantages and I'm keeping both. FWIW

• Members

I like the EH in V1 slots, but for the second gain stage, I prefer a Chinese tube. Some folks prefer the opposite, an EH in the second gain stage. I don't have any Mesa amplifiers though. I tend to only use two gain stages though. EH in all slots seems to be much too bright, but I mostly use PAF style pickups, that as you know, can be a little too bright in certain amps. The Chinese tubes really round off the bite when overdriving the preamp, and that pairs well with PAF's. FWIW

• Members

Tube choice is always a matter of what you like to hear. I find that many guys want huge compression and huge gain so they go for a tube that does that.

I personally like detail and clarity without sacrificing gain so I am using mainly JJ ECC83s. They don't saturate like a sovtek SPX will but I still get more than enough gain out of the triaxis regardless.

I also like hte JJ's because the low end response is tight and the high end isn't veyr compressed but still sounds non abrasive.For some guys, that is cool.For other guys it sounds bad.So it's up to you.

If you do get JJ tubes,try bob at www.eurotubes.com He's great to deal with.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Here's what I have in mine:

V1 = JAN Phillips

V2 = Brimar CV4004 (previously a Mullard CV4004)

V3 = Sovtek LPS (Balanced Triodes)

V4 = Brimar CV4004 (previously a Sovtek LPS)

V5 = Sovtek LPS (Balanced Triodes)

In a pinch, I wouldn't hesitate to put Sovtek LPSs in the Input or Drive stages. I will try some JJs in the TA eventually.

I have some JJ ECC83S and ECC803S from Bob/Eurotubes. I got them for an amp I'm modding. The 803S in the input stage sounded pretty bright with suffecient gain. Didn't sound as fat in the mids as the GT 12AXM that it replaced. There is something happening in the higher treble/presence register that I can't quite any more accurately than just saying 'bright'. The 83S was in the drive stage, and sounded like it had suffecient gain. More so than the Chinese (9th tooling/GT). Anyway, that was just my initial impressions with the JJs. The amp they were in is currently disassembled for modding.

• Members

I had a triaxis/290 set up a few years back and I went crazy trying out all different types of tubes. The Mesa stuff is already very dark sounding (to my ear very muddy). I settled on the Electro Harmonix 12ax7 in the triaxis and I really liked the JJ 6L6 in the 290 with all EH 12ax7 in it also. I never thought the triaxis was suited for death metal.

I had the version 2.0 which is supposed to be the more sought after one. I finaly got sick of them and sold it all off. Im not saying its not any good just not the tone im after. I suggest you go for a tube to brighten the tone up. The JJ 12ax7 will be way to dark sounding. I also use www.dougstube.com He is a great guy and really knows his tubes. Paul

Archived