n00b question about Axess GRX4 & MFC5

• Members

i've been searching old posts so this is pretty much a yes or no question for you guys, but please comment as well if you feel inclined.

here is what i have:

5 pedals

2 rack units (Korg SDD-2000 and Korg A3, both MIDI capable)

here is what i want to be able to do:

1. integrate my pedals into my rack so that i only have the foot controller and a wah and whammy in front of me on the floor

2. be able to switch like this:

patch 1: Stompbox A + Korg SDD2000 preset # 22

patch 2: Stompbox B + Korg SDD2000 preset #23

patch 3: Stompbox C + Korg A3 preset # 10

Can you use different banks basically as different "songs"?

from everything i have read it looks like the Axess stuff can do this, but i want to be sure before making a commitment to it.

with the GRX4 and MFC5 be able to do that for me?

thanks in advance.

edit: i know i will need two GRX4's for everything.

• Members

Yes you can easily acheive your suggested layout with the GRX4 and MFC5.

here is what i have:

5 pedals

2 rack units (Korg SDD-2000 and Korg A3, both MIDI capable)

I presume you mean wah,whammy and 3 others (stomp A,B and C)

2. be able to switch like this:

patch 1: Stompbox A + Korg SDD2000 preset # 22

patch 2: Stompbox B + Korg SDD2000 preset #23

patch 3: Stompbox C + Korg A3 preset # 10

Using the 3 serial loops, connect Stomp A to 1, Stomp B to 2 etc.

I would use the MFC5 and GRX4 in program change mode. Set the GRX4 and one Korg unit to the same MIDI channel, the other Korg to a different channel. The MFC5 can send to PC messages on different channels with each button press ( called PC1 and PC2). You also need to set up a bypass patch on each Korg unit. For example sake say it is Preset #1 on each Korg unit.

Program the units like this

MFC preset 1 PC1 =22 PC2=1

MFC preset 2 PC1 =23 PC2=1

MFC preset 3 PC1 = 1 PC2=10

GRX set to channel PC1

MFC preset 1 Loop 1 on

MFC preset 2 Loop 2 on

MFC preset 3 Loop 3 on

Thats how easy it would be.

• Members

You may only need one GRX4 if you use your pedals and rack units in common enough combinations to where you only need four leads. The MFC5 can send 2 program changes on 2 channels and 8 control changes on a single midi channel.

There are a number of ways to send commands and influence changes as far as opening/closing loops and changing presets on the rack units. I'll say that the MFC5 can make all that happen but you really have to ask yourself to what extent you wish to trigger things and then see if it's possible from there. You can set up banks any way you like, different songs is one common way, whatever works best for you.

If you're planning on expanding that rig or including an expression pedal, I'd maybe hold out for the FX1, Axess's upcoming footcontroller.

Questions? Fire away.

• Members

1. i keep reading about this "global preset" which seems to give you effectively 4 presets to work with. Is the global preset just one common to all banks, or does each bank have its own global preset? basically i'm a little unsure how the global preset works.

2. for a MIDI n00b, are these units fairly user friendly? i don't mind reading manuals and sitting down to figure stuff out, but i also don't want to be overwhelmed.

this kind of worries me, because one of the units (the A3) is an older korg model, so whenever you change presets, there is a .5 to 1 second cutout where there is no sound. if i am switching the SDD2000, will a change message also be sent to the A3?

Right now i don't have to change the A3 during songs, only between, but if i want to change the SDD-2000 from verse to chorus will it also affect the A3? (yes i am playing U2 songs lol)

If so, is there a workaround for this?

4. reliability is of utmost importance to me. it seems to me like these are a fairly robust units, have your experiences been good with them?

thanks again

• Members

Originally posted by Un Lapin

1. i keep reading about this "global preset" which seems to give you effectively 4 presets to work with. Is the global preset just one common to all banks, or does each bank have its own global preset? basically i'm a little unsure how the global preset works.

2. for a MIDI n00b, are these units fairly user friendly? i don't mind reading manuals and sitting down to figure stuff out, but i also don't want to be overwhelmed.

this kind of worries me, because one of the units (the A3) is an older korg model, so whenever you change presets, there is a .5 to 1 second cutout where there is no sound. if i am switching the SDD2000, will a change message also be sent to the A3?

Right now i don't have to change the A3 during songs, only between, but if i want to change the SDD-2000 from verse to chorus will it also affect the A3? (yes i am playing U2 songs lol)

If so, is there a workaround for this?

reliability
is of utmost importance to me. it seems to me like these are a fairly robust units, have your experiences been good with them?

thanks again

1-Global means global for the whole thing, not per bank.

2-Very user friendly

3-You can put the A3 on a different midi channel then your other rack stuff so it is unaffected by the other units. This will eat up more presets for you, though. You need to put the A3 in parallel to avoid the drop outs.

4- Reliable and rugged as it gets.

Joe

Archived