SPAM: Carvin Quad X-Amp 9 Tube/4 Channel Preamp

• Members

I have to recoupe some money due to an unexpected G.A.S. purchase (an Ibanez RG3120DR) so I am selling my spare Carvin Quad X-Amp tube guitar preamp. It has 4 channels (bright clean/warm clean/crunch/lead) that run on 9 tubes. Channel switchable 5 band graphic EQ (I use it for channel 3 mainly--you can use it for or all of the channels if you wish). 1/4" & XLR outputs. Noise gate that works very, very well. Reverb--the works! Good tone. Tubes are original so I would venture mention to any prospective owners out there that it'll sound even better after retubing V4-V9 (6 of the 9). Condition is damn near NOS--they don't get any cleaner!! Owner's manual is included. Pre midi jack unit and no footswitch. $300 EXTREMELY WELL packaged and shipped anywhere in the 48 states.

2004288741706769309943.jpg

2004284067033824408347.jpg

Drop me a line at:

SixStringGuitars@aol.com

• Members

Go to the below link and listen to "Haw Wah Blues" and "The Fury" to listen to soundclips generated from the Quad X-Amp. Both were done with a Digitech GSP21 in the effects loop mainly for its 7-band EQ and a very small amount of effects are being used from it as well. The Digitech's preamp is of couse turned off--you're only hearing Carvin distortion (I have just sold the Digitech because it noticeably robs a bit of tone--currently deciding on a new effects unit).

http://www.northjerseymusic.com/bands.php?bandid=128

I would also trade for both of the following: Rocktron Velocity 120 power amp and RocKtron Intellifex (any version). Used these things go for about $300 combined as well.

Ivan

SixStringGuitars@aol.com

• Members

I owned my 1st Quad X-Amp pre WITHOUT a footswitch for SIX YEARS. If you have some sort of amp switcher/octopus, etc... you can switch channels to play live with it if that what you wish. At home or in a studio you don't need a footswitch (which is how I used it). Besides it's only $300 or B.O. shipped! This is just another tone generation device that is able to be put into the arsenal of any one of the many guitarists out there like me who look to buy affordable tube gear. Listen to the two clips and be the judge on if it sounds good or not. There are worse ways to spend 300 beans.

I'd also trade even steven for a Rocktron Xpression

• Members

I'm not looking for one, I just mentioned it as to why guys might not be biting. Sort of a "customer perspective" sort of thing (guys might be holding out for one with a footswitch - that'd be my knee-jerk...to wait for one with the footswitch...or one with MIDI? they make those?)

I don't know if $300 is a good price or not -again, I'm not in the market

You might want to spell out the switching options in your Ad or maybe gen a couple of channel switches for it, just might help the sale

• Members

I'm sorry I can't jump on this, as I'm in a pretty bad financial spot now, but for the record,IMHO $300 is a fair price for this pre, footswitch or not. I was lucky enough to stumble upon one years ago, and had to sell it for (again :rolleyes: ) financial reasons. Truth be told, I liked the tones I got out of it better than the Mesa stuff I've tried. I've seen these things go for more than $300. on ebay, with and without the footswitch.

• Members

yeah, that footswitch is in high demand, for sure.

It is true that without it, you can still use your standard MIDI foot controller to change channels, but not the efx loop, reverb, and eQ. In this respect, the early "pre-MIDI" version is a better catch because by adding an Octopus or similar relay-type switcher, you can control channels, eQ, reverb, AND effects loop. Few people ever talk about this.

I couldnt tell from the tiny picture which version you are selling, but either way, just be patient.

I actually made out great by "parting out" (gasp) my backup Quad X on eBay due to the footswitch demand. People are apparently willing to pay top dollar for the switch, so I got $200 for the switch PLUS $300 for the Quad X. $500 total, which is unheard of...ha! its all about supply and demand.

Thats why it is perfectly possible to buy a rare classic car (such as a fully original late 60's Shelby Mustang 428) for under $80K, part it out on eBay, and make >$200K off the parts.

• Members

Originally posted by mikeSF

Thats why it is perfectly possible to buy a rare classic car (such as a fully original late 60's Shelby Mustang 428) for under $80K, part it out on eBay, and make >$200K off the parts.

of course the shipping may kill ya!

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Sorry sold it about 11 mos ago. Also, in rereading the thread... for anyone interested in a Quad X, setting aside footswitching capabilities--there is a difference in tone between the pre midi and the midi versions. I still have my original midi version but, the Channel 3 (crunch) of the pre midi unit that I sold was better sounding to my ears than the midi unit's. But, for me the reverse is true for channel 4. The units sound different, if you are more Marshall then Mesa you may like the pre midi more. If you like Mesa more, than the midi unit may be for you. Your mileage may vary though.

Archived