Rack gear for singers...show yours

• Members

Hi!

I'd like to see what your singer's rack looks like...

If you don't have pics, just post the stuff you have... It's always a help to see what people use on their setups...

go ahead...

My first rack space is going to be filled with the TC ELECTRONIC M-ONE XL, almost sure of that...

• Members

I've got one but it sucks.

QSC poweramp

Mackie 1202 mixing board

alesis 3630 comp/limiter

alesis Meq230 eq

behringer processor (I always forget if it's the virtualizer or the modulizer). Anyways, I use it for verb.

That said I don't normally have the comp and eq hooked up. I think it sounds better without them. I'm going to replace the behringer with a Yamaha spx90 in the near future and the 1202 with a rack preamp or a VLZ pro board.

• Members

huh,thats why so many lead vocals sound like S#@T live,nobody takes the time to do homework or spend the money,hell,your vocals are just as important as guitar gear or drums,If your singer considers himself professioal he will investin the gear to beneifit himself as well as the whole band.as,for my lead vocals I use a presonus eureka preamp(warm up those vocals)next into a tc helicon voice works(harmonies,thickening effects,special effect sounds,then into a tc electronic d-two and an m-one xl,for vocal effects (rev,dly,chorus,flange,trem)and of coarse into the board,thats the gear we use for live,you want to sound pro,then get some pro gear,cheap gear on vocals,is just plan cheap!Peace sells,and I'm sold!!

• Members

Originally posted by Mike McLenison
Here's the whole thing:Shure Beta 58 with a Mic Mute attached (infared proximity on/off switch)> Sabine SM820 feedback exterminator>TC Helicon Voiceworks (using the onboard compression and reverb/delay)>882 BBE Sonic Maximizer>Mixer.

Sabine SM820 feedback exterminator:

Why is this device not at the end of the signal chain?

TC Helicon Voiceworks

I have one on order, I am presently using the VoicePrism, how long have you had the Voiceworks? You like?

882 BBE Sonic Maximizer:

Do you find that with a really good PA, that you need this beast?

My setup is somewhat similar!

• Members

I have a Sennheiser e845, and I'm thinking of buying a TC-Electronics M-One XL for effects... Maybe later I'll buy a Voice Works or Voice Prism for harmonies... Right now I was thinking about a pre-amp.... are those low end Presonus any good?

Do you recommend a seperate compressor?

And is the Sonic Maximizer worth it?

Thanks alot

• Members

Originally posted by Coverdale
I have a Sennheiser e845, and I'm thinking of buying a TC-Electronics M-One XL for effects... Maybe later I'll buy a Voice Works or Voice Prism for harmonies... Right now I was thinking about a pre-amp.... are those low end Presonus any good?

Do you recommend a seperate compressor?

And is the Sonic Maximizer worth it?

Thanks alot

are those low end Presonus any good?

In general for live use the mixing board

• Members

I would not bother with compression until everything else is as good as you can get it, and even then it can be very tiresome to setup well if you mix from onstage as you do not generally want it in your wedge monitor mix.

Yeah, compressors in the monitors can make feedback worse. Usually when I use compression while running FOH, I'll run the compressors into the subgroup inserts instead of the channel inserts.

-Dan.

• Members

Alby asks,

Sabine SM820 feedback exterminator:

Why is this device not at the end of the signal chain?

I don't know the technical reason, just following the instructions in the manuel.

TC Helicon Voiceworks

I have one on order, I am presently using the VoicePrism, how long have you had the Voiceworks? You like?

The only one I can compare it to is the Digitech Studio Vocalist EX. Voiceworks is far superior. After speaking with the techs at TC Helicon, they recommend this one as their best unit, especially because of the the "hold" function.

882 BBE Sonic Maximizer:

Do you find that with a really good PA, that you need this beast?

I find it enhances any PA, even McCartney uses one. Since it restores lost harmonics in the signal it has more of a tendancy to feedback, thus the feedback exterminator.

My next purchase will probably be Lyric Evidence mic cables. Hope this helps.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike McLenison
882 BBE Sonic Maximizer: Do you find that with a really good PA, that you need this beast? I find it enhances any PA, even McCartney uses one. Since it restores lost harmonics in the signal it has more of a tendancy to feedback, thus the feedback exterminator.

My next purchase will probably be Lyric Evidence mic cables. Hope this helps.

Stick with Beldin and Switchcraft/Neutrik. Spending more will not get you more in this context.

I am very aware of the hype surrounding aural enhancers and stick by my premise that for live vocal use, they generally cause more problems than they solve and upgrading your PA and improving your skills on how to use it, are much more viable than adding toys.

• Members

I don't know about live situations, but in the studio, I've found that a real good parametric equalizer can really help with my vocals. I also liked to run them through an Alesis MidiVerb4 for just a real slight reverb - like a 85D/15W mix. Room acoustics can certainly parameterize this.

And of course, and I'm sure to get crap for this, but the Clydesdale of microphones - the Shure SM58. I've used gold-sputtered condensers in the studio, and while they are fabulous, nothing beats the reliability and ruggedness of the '58. Can I get an 'Amen' on that?

• Members

Here's a crazy atypical vocal fx setup:

The singer in one of my bands uses the following:

SM58 - Boss Bass Synth Pedal - Boss Pitch Shifter Pedal - Boss Phaser Pedal - Digitech RP-1 - Line 6 Delay Pedal

He's also the band's drummer (kinda)

He'll start things off by beatboxing - usually a trip hop or jungle beat - and making an 8 or 16 bar loop out of it on the Line 6. The rest of the band grooves over the loop while he adds effects, basslines (via the bass synth), and lyrics.

I'm currently trying to convince him to ditch the RP-1. He's using it for compression, reverb and delay - the problem is he's almost constantly overloading the thing. The RP-1 has horribly low headroom (I should know - I sold it to him many years ago) and without any limiting before the unit itself it will clip at the drop of a hat.

I'm also trying to get him to add a subharmonic synthesizer to his setup. The pedals by Aphex and the Peavey processors look promising. I've used software sub synths on his drum and bass loops with good effect when recording. The human voice can only produce so much bass and the sub synth does a good job of fattening up the 80-20hz range.

All in all the guy has a pedalboard bigger than most hair metal guitarists.

Archived