Some Stupid Newbie Questions

• Members

Hi,

Just got an amp and cab for my ADA MP-1, and it's sounding pretty good. Since I'm new to this whole rack thing, I was wondering about a couple things:

1-Is it OK to just use guitar cables from pre-amp to amp and amp to speaker cab?

2-If I'm running the amp bridged into a mono cab. Is there any advantage to hooking up both right and left outputs from the pre-amp to the amp?

3-I can adjust the volume by turning the MP-1 up or turning the amp up-any advantages to either way?

I really appreciate any help on this-I'm afraid to blow something up!

Larry

• Members

1-Is it OK to just use guitar cables from pre-amp to amp and amp to speaker cab?

Use instrument cable between guitar to MP-1 to Amp. Use speaker cable from poweramp/head to cabinet. Each cable handles a different type of signal.

2-If I'm running the amp bridged into a mono cab. Is there any advantage to hooking up both right and left outputs from the pre-amp to the amp?

Which Amp do you have?? I believe if your amp is bridged, then you can only use it in mono, which means you can only plug 1 output from the MP-1. So if your amp is running mono, then no there isnt any advantage of running both outputs from MP-1 into a mono amp and mono cabinet.

3-I can adjust the volume by turning the MP-1 up or turning the amp up-any advantages to either way?

if its a tube poweramp, then it sorta makes difference in the sound since i believe the louder you go, the more tube saturation you'll get.

If I am wrong somwhere, please sombody correct me.

hope that helps,

Duke

• Members

Duke,

Thanks for the info. The amp is a Hafler G150 solid state power amp, so I'm guessing that it won't matter which volume I use?

I'll have to pick up a speaker cable for the amp-cabinet. Do they make those with 1/4" connections?

BTW, I got the amp for $100 and a G/K 2x12 cabinet with Vintage 30s in it for $185 at a guitar show today-I'm loving them!

Thanks again,

Larry

• Members

Originally posted by larryguitar

Duke,

Thanks for the info. The amp is a Hafler G150 solid state power amp, so I'm guessing that it won't matter which volume I use?

I'll have to pick up a speaker cable for the amp-cabinet. Do they make those with 1/4" connections?

BTW, I got the amp for $100 and a G/K 2x12 cabinet with Vintage 30s in it for $185 at a guitar show today-I'm loving them!

Thanks again,

Larry

Larry,

No problem at all.. Your best bet is to buy an already made speaker cable. I my self not too big on the idea of making my own speaker cable as I think if somthing is soldered wrong, then problems can be caused.. But I can be wrong.

I use a 14gauge cable and it seems to do the job no problem.

Regarding your poweramp... I guess in your situation it wouldnt be power tubes saturdation, but i guess its more of an solidstate drive sort of a thing.. Not sure how to explain it.

I usually like to leave the poweramp volume maxed up and then control the overall volume from the MP-1. I am guessing your poweramp is 75watts a side?? if so, then I wouldnt suggest you running it bridged 150 watts into the Cabinet since its only 120watts in total and its usually not recommended to push more power into a less power cabinet.

Duke

• Members

Originally posted by sp_spaceboy

i dont know if this is true for al solid state amps, but I;ve heard that ss clipping can be rather unpleasant - and that's the experience i had with my Valavestate.

just a thought on the whole volume thing

Yeah... somtimes solidstate amps clipping isnt the nicest sound, but hey, some people like it.

Duke

Archived