nearly time to get an effects processor...

• Members

But which one?? the first problem is what are the choices? as far as I can remember there's TC, Lexicon and the Rocktron Intellifex.

I've done a bit of research on them - and I dont think the Intellifex has enough effects (am i right in thinking it only has reverb, delay, chorus.... and a couple others?)

and in looking at the others (i'l only be able to afford the cheaper units in TC and Lexicon's ranges), it seems like the G-major simply has many more features. most notably - the lexicon doesnt have a phaser. which is very important. even though I've heard that the G-major's maybe isn't quite perfect (at least not for what I think i want it to sound like).

Another I would really like is a good octaver. which would be part of the pitch shifter i guess. And i hear that good harmonizing is quite rare in cheaper units (although TC do brag about how their however-many-bit machine doesn't lag while it tries to find the note...) maybe an Auto-wahwould be nice - though none of the ones previously mentioned seem to have that. reverbs, delays and chorus dont necessarily have to be top notch, as long as they dont scream 80s. errrm....

beleive the G-major has a noise gate, tuner and a relay system. those would be very useful

oh, and if it makes any difference - I just have a JMP-1 and 20/20. I think i remember hearing that some unit or other doesn't like being in parallel loops..?

so. Are there any other alternatives in that sort of price range? or are the only other choices the more expensive models from the same manufacturers (and Eventide of course). And am i right in thinking that Lexicons are only superior in that they have a different tone to their effects, which some prefer, and some dislike?

thank ye all

• Members

I just got my new G Major yesterday. I think it sounds really good. The factory presets were pretty crappy. I only had time to play around with the delays, reverbs, and choruses but all sounded good. The factory pitch shifters were good. The octave sounds better to me than my SPX. It does have a noise gate and compression as well. All in all a very vesitile unit IMHO. I'm looking forward to digging into this thing because there are alot of options.

Anyway, that my 2 cents.

:)

• Members

Yamaha Magic Stomp, Boss GT6, Pod XT.

The above can do tons & tons of stuff for very cheap with very good sound. The Yamaha Magic Stomp & the Pod XT can be rack mounted with a rack drawer.

• Members

Originally posted by alby

Yamaha Magic Stomp, Boss GT6, Pod XT.

The above can do tons & tons of stuff for very cheap with very good sound. The Yamaha Magic Stomp & the Pod XT can be rack mounted with a rack drawer.

I've just orderd the Magic Stomp. I'm going to use it as my mfx machine. Since I don't use midi in my rack I like the idea of having it on my pedal board. This way I can also use it when playing on others amps and not my gear. I'll you know more when it gets here.

Hektor

• Members

wow, thanks for all the help!

who makes the SPX? I've never head of that one before.

And now that you mention it, doesn't Boss have a rack effects unit? I'm sure i saw one in the Racks of the Non Stars thread...

but it does look like the major is coming out tops... feel free to try and disuade me from that though.

• Members

In the under $500 range, there is only 2 choices if you want to cover all the basic effects and retain sound quality.

G-Major and Rocktron Xpression.

They will do all you need and then some.

The G Major has better delays and reverbs, and the Xpression seems to have better modulation effects.

The pitch shifting in both is just about equal.

Just go check them both out and let your ears decide what you like.

And as someone mentioned, DO NOT go by the factory presets.

Even the factory presets in my Eventides were pretty useless.

Good luck

• Members

hmmm... i dont think that's what I'm looking for. I dont need a preamp - i've got the JMP-1 - so it would seem a little silly to buy a unit that seems to have half of it dedicated to preampness instead of a 100% effects processor...

it seems like the kind of thing that I'd at least have to try out... which is hard to do where i am... so never mind.

and the rocktron xpression looks good, and modulation is what i like, but maybe not quite as many features as the g-major? would that be fair to say?

not sure...

and of course, one more deciding factor is availability. If one of these turns up for the right price, then i'll probly just go for it...

thanks

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Hektor*

I've just orderd the Magic Stomp. I'm going to use it as my mfx machine. Since I don't use midi in my rack I like the idea of having it on my pedal board. This way I can also use it when playing on others amps and not my gear. I'll you know more when it gets here.

Hektor

I'm pretty happy with my Magic Stomp, had it for 2 weeks. You can check out my review on HC user reviews.

Caveats:

- If you have a Mac, the software does not run on OS X. (I run it fine on Windows XP.)

- There IS a learning curve to it.

- There aren't many owners out there, so you won't get a lot of other folks giving you advice online or wherever.

- There is a small delay when switching from one patch to the next. I don't perform live, so I don't care.

Having said that, it gives you a lot of great sounds and infinite tweakability via the software for $200. If it fits your needs, it's a great deal.

-- Joe

• Members

Originally posted by Ted Copulate

I have a G-Major that I'm looking to sell if you're interested. I bought it because it really is the best of the $500-range processors, but I just don't think I'm into digital processing. I'm going to be getting an Axess GRX4 to midi-up some stompboxes. Email me at
if you're interested.

Are you still looking into selling the g-major? coz I'm interested in it...

• Members

Check out the Digitech GSP-2101. I'm thinking about getting it. I've heard a lot of good things about it. You can easily bypass the preamp section. There's a lot of people who swear by them. So it's worth the look into...

Archived