Is there such a thing as an AFFORDABLE distortion preamp??

• Members

What's a GOOD preamp for KILLER distortions, ranging from the 80's "brownsound", to modern "Mesa" chunk??? I play HEAVY stuff, ala Dream Theater, to Meshuggah. I DO like blues, and clean, jazzy tones too, so versatility would be nice

I'm toying with a Voodoo modded MP-1 from Voodoo Amps, for $395, but there's a 2 week waiting list, (or better). Should I wai it out, or keep shopping??? The MP-1 tones a KILLER!!!

Keep in mind, $400 is my spending limit...

:rolleyes:

• Members

2 weeks for Trace's work is not an issue. It is more than worth it. trace is my main man and did all the work on my Modded VHT UL w EQ. In large part thanks to him - I have my own tone going - def. worth the wait - especially if you know the tones out of the Modded MP-1 are what you want. 2 weeks compared to a life time of searching - not a tough choice in my eyes.

Rai //

www.DatsMusic.com

• Members

I think you would be happier with a JMP1. They are around $400 used, and have a much better tone IMO. The ADA sounds like a toy to me. I've heard the modded ones and was not impressed.

So I'm just giving you another avenue to look into. If you like the way the other preamp sounds, just wait and go for it.

You HAVE to buy the preamp that YOUR ears like.

Try to check out everything you can get your hands on before buying something your not 100% happy with.

Everyone likes different things.

Good luck,

• Members

If you want to go the MP-1 route, then either a Voodoo Modded MP-1 or ADA Depot 3TM mod will do the job. Which one to choose?? I guess that would be up for you.

If you want the Mesa Chunk in an MP-1.. look into the 3.666 mod for it. Its also at adadepot.com

good luck,

Duke

• Members

Originally posted by napalmshower

tHE KEY WORD HERE IS affordable. Mesa stuff is beyond my budget!
:(

I don't know where you are located at, but there is a Mesa V-Twin (rackmount) around by me for 450 euro. That is very affordable for a mesa product.

• Members

Originally posted by kherman

Also check out the older Rocktron Preamps.

Piranha (Tube Hybrid like the MP1 or JMP1)

Pro Gap v2.0

Ultra Pro Gap

Kent

I have to 2nd the old Rocktron recomendation. As a proud owner of a Pro Gap Ultra and an ADA MP-1, the Rocktron wins out in the distortion section, but comes in at a close second to the great cleans of the MP-1. The Piranha kills by the way, but the price just keeps going up. An old Chameleon wouldn't be so shappy either.

• Members

Originally posted by napalmshower

I'm thinking about a 3TM modded MP-1 for $425....

You definitly wont be dissapointed with that. I just installed mine today in my MP-1 and I couldnt believe I didnt get that mod anytime sooner. This mod is a very big improvment over the stock MP-1 in every aspect you can think of.

Crunch is just excellent, gain is more defined and more usefull even if raised up high. The noise is alot less then stock Mp-1 for sure.

The distortion is alot thicker, crunchier and more defined. The Cleans on the tube voicing are sorta brown channel if the OD is raised high. It can be used for the AcDc or lighter stuff. It makes an Excellent blues vocing. The solidstate didnt get affected at all. Noise issue people complain about in the stock MP-1 isnt nearly as bad. I was actully able to turn my noise gate off and play without having to worry about feedback or extra noise. Ofcourse you still have the usuall highgain amps noise.

I Just wish I can crank it up in my apartment, but the old lady who lives under my apartment will start complaining and bitc*ing.

Also, if you dont like it, you can always resell it and people will buy it.

hope that helps,

Duke

• Members

You can't really compare a preamp to a head because they are 2 different animals.

Your tone will differ depending on what other gear is used . So read the reviews, download the manual , and listen to a couple of tunes by the Scorpions. [they use Engl amps]

The fact that there arn't hundreds of people trying to unload them on EBAY [unlike Mesa gear] pretty much speaks for itself.

• Members

Point well taken - Mesa's a hot item on Ebay, as well as Peavey, Marshall, etc...

You REALLY raised my curiousity! "Powerball", and "Fireball" are words spoken often on EVERY forum!

I wish there was an Engl dealer here in Cleveland/Akron...:rolleyes:

My Marshall is history, (I kept the cabinet), and I got $1000 to play with! I'm getting a Carvin power amp, and going to further investigate preamps. It seems, going rack is thre only way to get "my" tone. I'll tell ya what, If I knew about the Engl 4 months ago, I'd be sportin' a Fireball head! Who knows???;)

Thanks again.

• Members

Napalmshower - wassup man? Just a hint - DerekB on the amp forum is an authorized Engl Dealer (and soon possibly growing to bigger things) as well as other amps. He has a 24 or 48hr return policy. Good Luck finding a store that does that lol. But I think that's pretty rad and Derek B is a straight guy. If you do hit him up, tell him Rai sent ya and says hey. Personally - I'm not sure of the tone you are going for. I know money is an issue - but being Powerballs are only $1600 or so and you have 2/3 of the money, it may be worth saving the extra and exploring options. Besides more money to play w will let you have more options, but again this is if you have a set sound in your head you are trying to find and KNOW what you are lookign for. It may take some sifting and elarning - but you'll find it. Good Luck man. P.S. Youa re from Ohio you know my boys in Chamaira? (I'm sure there are haters there lol as there are in any scene when someone makes it on some level - good and bad) rawk -

Rai //

www.DatsMusic.com

• Members

Rai, in a nutshell, if you go on Derek's site, www.rocksolidamps.com and listen to the first sound byte, (someone playing Ozzy's Miracle Man), THAT'S the tone in my head!!!!!:D

To best describe it, I want an 80'S metal/brownsound, with more aggression, "thump", with gain, and sustain for days!! Kinda like EVH brownsound meets Petrucci, and plays Meshauggah..Make sense???:confused:

• Members

More or less the same thing I go for tone wise (in a vague sense) Tight but w warmth i.e. Brown as some people call it. Derek can point you in a direction tonally cause having dealt w alot of stores and musicians - he sells from the point of a musician who knows his stuff (how to get certain tones) and he goes the extra mile to make sure you are happy. Having played on a semi-pro level for a few yrs (don't mean that arrogantly just conveying my exp. and level of musicianship I buy/sell gear at) this is such a rare thing. A Handful of companies that go the extra mile and can back up their goods off the top of my head are - VooDoo Amps, Rock Solid Amps, Axess-Eelctronics and Flyte case - again in my limited experience - but having spent thousands of dollars on gear over the yrs - the guys who do right by you stick out. Just trying to pass on some places I've had great luck and save a fellow musician time/patience/money lol. Def. though Derek can point you in the right place and even if you didn;t buy from him - he would point you in a direction. Good Luck man - I'll take a listen to that clip but have to run right now. rawk -

Rai //

www.DatsMusic.com

Archived