Howdy

• Members

okay, so I just bought a Laney VH100r. The amp has a footpedal, that is conected to the amp by a midi cable. Would I be able to control the amp with some sort of midi control pedal... like one of these:

153511.jpg

I ask, because I would like to ditch the whole "pedal setup" for a more clean, and versitile, rack effects set up... So that when I push a button, it will change me to my "lead channel with delay" sound... you know, like a hundred pre-sets. Im new to this kind of thing, but can it be done?

• Members

In theory yes, as long as your head is actually controlled by midi and not just a custom footswitch that uses a midi cable. You'll have to check with Laney or get some info from a Laney user, although there don't seem to be too many of them on this board though. That head definitely has its merits though. I considered one for a while because of it's psuedo four-channel setup combined with its price.

If the head isn't controlled by midi then you'll need an audio switcher to control it. The Axess AC-8 or CRX-4 might work, or the Digital Music Corp GCX switcher that is made for that footcontroller that you posted the pics up. There are more expensive ones out there as well. Many (like the CRX-4 and the GCX) need 1/4inch footswitch jacks, but some heads (like my Mark IV) come with those even though the main footswitch uses a different connector. Also, some effects prossessors like the G-Major and the Intellifex (I think) have switching jacks.

So basically you have to find out if your head is controlled by midi or not, and if not then if it has 1/4inch jacks also or if it only takes a midi cable, and if so how many pins it is.

• Members

Laney have used DIN sockets for channel switching for some time.

Unfortunataley this socket has no midi capability.

They used to make a rackmount unit called a Babelswitch which allowed midi control of amp channels and effects loops via their dedicated (din) t.r.s. and jack sockets. (I actually had one of these rare beasties until recently )

I belieive there are other manufacturers who still make similar products. If you search through the posts on here no doubt you'll find somthing of help.

Best of luck.

• Members

Well if there's no 1/4inch jacks in addition to the din input then your best bet is the Axess AC8 Switcher. It doesn't say if it's compatible but the owner of the company is very responsive, so he should be able to let you know if it'll work for you. Go to www.Axess-Electronics.com.

Maybe the forumites can hook you up with info on other similar switchers.

• Members

Thanx for the help guys, I think that I am starting to understand what I need to do a bit more... Im very new (I know nothing) to this whole "rackmount with midi" thing, but If what I hear is true...about the crazy flexibilty, then I am going to stick around this forum and learn. :)

Archived