VHT GP-3 versus Engl 580

• Members

That is a very tough comparison--the two preamps are very, very different, although both are primarily high gain.

The VHT is just over $1000 new and the 580 is over $2000 new. The VHT is not set up to save channel eq settings or volume settings on its patches. It is basically a three channel amp, but you can save global function in midi--six band eq, boost, fat, edge, effects loop. Those are all additions to whatever the regular eq setting is on the particular channel.

In that way the VHT is not quite as versatile as the 580. The 580 has every parameter setting as a saveable setting--meaning you can have an infinite number of channel eq settings, so that it is virtually a infinite channel amp, so-to-speak. Of couse you are limited by amount of memory spaces and things, but, I think you get the idea.

I am pretty sure there are many sound clips of the VHT on the forum here if you search for them. I don't believe that there are many, if any, of the 580, though.

But, I can tell you...I have the 530, and like the guy above said--I dream of the 580 at night! I dream of it during the day, too!!!

Mike

• Members

Hi,

I have had an engl 580 and the sounds from it were amazing but the channel switching delay was terrible. For a preamp that is over 2300 the switching should be seamless and it is not. I sold it for that reason. The high gain sounds were to die for and the cleans were nice but i couldnt live with the switching delay. I even wrote engl and they said there was nothing they could do about it and it was normal for the 580.

• Members

I dreamt of a 580 too :( I now own a GP3 and I have a love hate relationship with it, because I hate loving it it's semi killed my G.A.S because I can't see myself selling it anytime soon. It's definitely got it's own thing going for it in terms of sound, which I've grown to love. At first I missed the saturated gain of other preamps but I've really grown to love the articulation of the GP3, and it makes me play harder and more accurately so I really feel like a better player these days

Some clips if you're curious

Yoko

Heavy

Some fast thrashy stuff

Some clean stuff

• Members

Originally posted by adamquek

At first I missed the saturated gain of other preamps but I've really grown to love the articulation of the GP3, and it makes me play harder and more accurately so I really feel like a better player these days

You nailed it on the head. It's not the amp for cheaters that get by with saturated sounds that drown out the articulation of your playing.

• Members

Hi,

Im not sure what the exact delay time was for the engl 580. It was definitely long enough that you had to plan your transitions from clean to distorted or from a rhythm to solo patch. There was always a dropout when you switched. I loved the way it sounded, but for the amount of money i personally couldnt live with the delay.

And as far as comparing the prophesy to it, there in different leagues. I had a prophesy and for an all in one unit it sounded good although the cleans had a background digital distortion but the distorted channels were pretty good. The effects were also descent. The engl 580 is just pure tone though. It has shimmering cleans to the most insane distortion. The note articulation was awesome and the effects loop was even midi controllable so you could have one prest that had 75% effect and another preset with 20% effect, whatever you wanted. You could also put another preamp in the loop and turn on and off the 580 so it was almost like have a switcher.

• Members

about the Engl e 580 : Everybody loves it, besides the delay

about the VHT GP-3 : some like it, some don't. Some say it's sound is thin, some say it's sound is thick (the thread is posted on other forums too;) )

I'm looking for a preamp that suits

Late 80's thrash metal (mostly - band)

all types of metal

shred

blues

jazz

somewhere around the 1 to 2000

• Members

Originally posted by JesperB

Hmm ... I did not notice any bad preset switching delay on the 580 when I tried it a few weeks ago.

Ok then, as I have no means to test one how much patch change delay are we talking about? .25 seconds? half a second? 1 minute? 17 minutes?

:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by AlainC

about the Engl e 580 : Everybody loves it, besides the delay

I'm looking for a preamp that suits

Late 80's thrash metal (mostly - band)

all types of metal

shred

blues

jazz

somewhere around the 1 to 2000

• Members

Originally posted by LordRiffenstein

About the switching delay of the 580.

If you check the Engl-site, you will find a tool to do a FREE upgrade of the 580 which solves this issue!!! No more delay!! Unless you

• Members

HI,

I did an update on mine before i sold it and it did fix the patch switching problem where when you would switch patches it would hang up on a patch and not switch at all, but the delay was still prevalent. I wrote engl and they said it was normal and there was nothing that could be done about it. I would say that it was close to a half a second delay. I have a triaxis now and there is no delay at all when switching. I had intended on using both together but the delay haunted me. Now unless this update just came out less than 2 months ago it is the same update i gave mine. I would have hated to sell it if there was a fix for it. I could have dealt with the delay better if it wasnt a 2300 dollar preamp but for that much money i think they should resolve that issue.

• Members

I hope I get mine by tomorrow.....

I was just over my friends house playing his E580, and there is absolutely no delay at all during switching. I was trying to trick the preamp by doing 5-10 consecutive preset changes, and it was smooth as glass.

Maybe it's a problem with the older MIDI chip or board????

For $2000 bucks, there better not be a delay. If there is, I'll find a fix for it...but I doubt that it's going to be like that.

Archived