Jump to content

new poweramp issues-h&k vs250...


Recommended Posts

  • Members

just switched out the poweramp in my rack, traded a mesa 50/50 for a h&k vs 250. got it all hooked up last night, and played with it for a bit this morning, and its a pretty cool amp with some unique features (remote switchable presence control for instance), the problem is that it doesn't sound very good in stereo--actually it sounds pretty dreadful. when i switch one side into standby and play through the other it sounds great, full and articulate, heavy and thick--the problem is its just coming through one side of the cab. when both sides are on it gets thin and harsh...even my wife on her way out this morning said..."boy that sounds tinny, it sounds more like stereo when you're only playing through the one side." it does this for both sides--either side by itself sounds fantastic, combined they sound like crap. my signal chain is in my signature below, from the preamp to the speakers, everything is stereo. i never had any problems with the mesa 50/50, and ran it in exactly the same way.:confused:

 

its obviously a used amp, so is it possible that a re-tube will straighten things out? (with 8 el84's i was hoping to wait a bit...)could it be the driver tubes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Vey strange. I never had that kind of problem with mine. Did you match the impedance between power amp and cab ? First replace the preamp tubes in there and see if it makes a difference. Then you could also change the power tubes, there's easy to find bias probe point inside the chassis near the tubes. If you're not comfortable with doing that, bring it to a tech. There must be some kind of crosstalk inside the amp between the 2 channels :confused: :confused: :confused:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

i'm wondering if maybe the tubes got jostled out of place in shipping...they guy i got it from said he played it before sending it out and it sounded great...so much so that he was sorry to see it go, i'll have to crack it open when i get home tonight and make sure everything is in place...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I'll say, have it looked over completely by a good tech... It would be too bad to fry the transformer or something like that. I asked a tech friend, and he told it sound like your power transformer or something in the path of the power supply is damaged. I played yesterday night with my Access/VS 250 rack plugged into 2 marshall 4x12 at insane level and it sounded godly. I could not discern any difference of tone with the 2 channels working at the same time or just one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

thats good advice, at the least my guess is its a bad driver tube socket, switching the spax7 driver tubes around (to see if it was just a bad tube and the problem would switch channels) didn't do anything...the problem is definitely in channel b. the volume control on that channel is screwy too, quiet up to a point and then really loud, with volume drops. and the overall volume of the amp doesn't seem very loud...on the 50/50 it was very loud on about 3, the vs250 on the other hand doesn't reach the same level until about 5...on pentode mode!

 

i may have to see about trading back as i don't know of a good tech in the area...:(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

i was able to track down a tech thats supposed to be the best in the area on friday and left it with the shop. so hopefully i'll know on monday what's wrong and what it will cost to fix...barring that i'll contact h&k...

 

glad you chimed in terri!!! i was hoping you'd see my post! yeah, the sampling i got from running just one side, suggests that i'll be very pleased with the access/vs250 setup...once get it back to tip top shape...

i like the el84's, with the access they seem to split the difference between marshall mid-y crunch and mesa bassy ka-bong! a very nice combo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by somata

i was able to track down a tech thats supposed to be the best in the area on friday and left it with the shop. so hopefully i'll know on monday what's wrong and what it will cost to fix...barring that i'll contact h&k...


glad you chimed in terri!!! i was hoping you'd see my post! yeah, the sampling i got from running just one side, suggests that i'll be very pleased with the access/vs250 setup...once get it back to tip top shape...

i like the el84's, with the access they seem to split the difference between marshall mid-y crunch and mesa bassy ka-bong! a very nice combo.

 

 

That's exactly why I friggin love the thing. IMO, it's the only preamp/poweramp combination that can coax liquid boogie like lead tones and modded marshall crunch at the same time. Sure, there's some other things that can do each of these tones slightly better but not both at the same time... Now, if only it had a better clean channel, I think I would maybe sell all my other gear and be done with it !! Anyway, keep us posted about your VS-250... I would very much like you to experience the true tone of that thingy !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

i've actually been pretty pleased with the clean sound out of mine...i do think that a lot of my satisfaction has to do with the g-major--i run the access in serial (i'm saving the access' switchable loops for some pedals down the road-probably a nice overdrive, a reverse delay, and maybe my loop station) through the g-major. the g-major's eq section and ability to set the output level for each patch has really allowed the access to come to life...on its own it sounds very good, but with a bit of outboard tweaking it sounds phenomenal!

 

still haven't heard about my poweramp :( might have to call today and see if they got to it yet...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by somata

i've actually been pretty pleased with the clean sound out of mine...i do think that a lot of my satisfaction has to do with the g-major--i run the access in serial (i'm saving the access' switchable loops for some pedals down the road-probably a nice overdrive, a reverse delay, and maybe my loop station) through the g-major. the g-major's eq section and ability to set the output level for each patch has really allowed the access to come to life...on its own it sounds very good, but with a bit of outboard tweaking it sounds phenomenal!


still haven't heard about my poweramp
:(
might have to call today and see if they got to it yet...

 

Keep us updated !! I'd really like to know what you think about the whole enchilada once everything will be working right... Did you know that there's 2 different voicings available for the Access ?? There's a kind of plugin card inside that exists in 2 different flavours called soundmodule A and soundmodule B. The A kind is supposedly more 80s sounding and the B is more modern, 90s sounding. Both of my Access preamps have the soundmodule A and I'm still looking for the B kind. BTW, Paul, if you're still lurking around here, I'm still waiting for any kind of help on your part in contacting the H&K guys about that soundmodule B business. I'm sure they must have one laying around in a drawer in the factory...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by Jack Luminous

There's a kind of plugin card inside that exists in 2 different flavours called soundmodule A and soundmodule B. The A kind is supposedly more 80s sounding and the B is more modern, 90s sounding. Both of my Access preamps have the soundmodule A and I'm still looking for the B kind.

Yep, Jack. The B Module has a different Mid-Range EQ and sounds updated. Much nicer I understand. The cleans sparkle more and I think if you heard it, you'd switch. Plus the Version 2 updates some of the CC commands. :cool: I'll keep my ears open in case I run across one for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Terri

Yep, Jack. The B Module has a different Mid-Range EQ and sounds updated. Much nicer I understand. The cleans sparkle more and I think if you heard it, you'd switch. Plus the Version 2 updates some of the CC commands.
:cool:
I'll keep my ears open in case I run across one for you.

 

You mean yours has the soundmodule B ?? I know the cleans are much better with it... I don't know about the distorted tones though. I want one badly anyway !! Both of my Access have the version 2 software (full midi impl) but the soundmodule A. If you ever came across a B version, I'd sure be interested !! Once you told me you were interested to buy another Access... I have a friend maybe selling his so I'll check with him if he's willing to ship overseas. I don't know which version it is. I'll check it if you wish so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by Jack Luminous


BTW, Paul, if you're still lurking around here, I'm still waiting for any kind of help on your part in contacting the H&K guys about that soundmodule B business. I'm sure they must have one laying around in a drawer in the factory...

 

 

Hi Jack,

 

sorry for not getting back to you.... I actually was starting to

be a pain in the a** with them about this. I finally got to talk to somebody

in the know at H&K, who said, they absolutely don

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by somata

how do you know if you have the sound module b?

 

 

You can open the preamp and look at the revision of the plugin board inside. It's the vertical card plugged into the mainboard.

 

 

Originally posted by hara

 

Hi Jack,

 

sorry for not getting back to you.... I actually was starting to

be a pain in the a** with them about this. I finally got to talk to somebody

in the know at H&K, who said, they absolutely don

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...