what to use to clean strings?

• Members

Boiling strings does nothing. That started out as a joke and people were stupid enough to believe it. Once the nickel is worn off of the strings they are dead period. The best thing to do to squeeze a little more life from the strings is to wipe them off with a clean cloth. An old t-shirt or flannel shirt works well for this. By keeping the sweat from your hands off the strings they will last a little longer.

• Members

:D heh heh, ok well, it seems i've been grossly misinformed. (and I WAS gonna use an electric cooker... though the effect of filling the kitchen with fumes would have been... interesting....)

guess I'll have to shell out for some NEW strings. *shock horror!*

nevermind then

• Members

fumes would have been the least of your problems...BOILING alcohol? :rolleyes::eek:

you know alchohol is flammable right?

if you're willing to risk life and limb to charge up some old strings, maybe think about just switching to a longer lasting brand...i've found that the dean markley blue steels stay fresh pretty long as compared to other brands, and there are always elixirs....

now go hit yourself in the head with a hammer and repeat "strings are the least of my worries"

:D :D :D :D :D :D

• Members

Like most of the guys would say, once the strings are f***ed, they are f***ed. Taking them off to clean them after they have been pre-sretched just doesn't really work and weakens them. Cleaning them each time you play ( just plain wiping them with a clean cloth ) will extend their life slightly.

There are many makes of strings available on the market. Over the past thirty years I must have just about tried them all.

Currently I'm using strings called firewire ( www.firewirestrings.net )and I have to say they do ' stay bright ' for a very long time. They are a bit dearer but I would thoroughly recommend them.

While we're here anybody like to post their string preference?:)

• Members

Tone-wise My favorite strings are D'Addario EXL110. The problem is that they are only good for one night the way that I torture them. I also like Dean Markley strings but I have never tried the Blue Steels. Right now I have GHS Eric Johnson signature strings on my guitar which work great for drop tuning. I felt like I was stealing from GC when I left with 12 sets and only paid 22 bucks for them.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/jerryroncomusic.htm

• Members

Originally posted by ocnor

Boiling strings does nothing.... The best thing to do to squeeze a little more life from te strings is to wipe them off with a clean cloth. An old t-shirt or flannel shirt works well for this. By keeping the sweat from your hands off the strings they will last a little longer.

What he said...

• Members

Originally posted by Longhair

5.30 pounds for Blue Steel?

You are getting ripped off there.

4.00 GBP

oooooh! brillyant!

cheers mate, i'd forgotten about Thomann!

still, any opinions on strings?

maybe i'll just go for Blue Steels... they seem the most highly regarded - and in the end all I can do is go for one and hope it's what I'm looking for.

well, we'll see...

• Members

What I normally do I buy the "little things" when I am ordering from them - strings, picks, etc.

I have just switched from .009-.042 to .010-.046 and only bought 2 sets because I don't want to have 1000 sets and not like them :eek:

Hopefully by the time they carry the new Furman's, I will know if I want to go back to the 9's or stick with the 10's.

• Members

let me know what difference you find, Longhair. As I think I said before, I went from 10s to 9s a while back, and I'm sure I remember thinking that I lost a LOT of tone... and I certainly don't mind maybe having to work the left hand a little harder (it'll be good for me anyway), so i'll probably go back to 10s soon

• Members

All we plank spankers are different and all use various makes/gauges of strings.

Like I said earlier over the years I've tried many different brands.

For a long time I used Rotosounds and then for even longer, D'addario( EXL120 ).

The only way is by ' trial and expense(...I mean error ! )

Although the Firewires may seem expensive they do stay bright for a very long time and I believe they are probably one the best ( if not the best ) available at the moment. They are pre-stretched, lightly coated and ( apparently ) 'magnetically enhanced'.( As all can see I'm not in any way biased!!!! ).

Once again, at the end of the day, you ' pay your money, and take your choice '.:) :) :)

Archived