Sell my heads to go rack?

• Members

I'm on the fence here...

I have a three channel Dual recto that I just got a few weeks ago and it's not really doing it for me (like the rhytm tones, but the lead sounds lack in liquidity and sustain...it's also not as versatile as I expected, anyway...) and a Peavey XXX with e34ls that I'm pretty fond of. I also have a Boss GT-6 (that is great with the XXX, but sucks in the parallel loop of the DR).

My complaint with the current rig is lack of versatility; I'm wanting the Recto chugga-chugga, the XXX (modded Marshall) crunch and liquid gain along with Fender clean and some dirty drive. Yes, I want it all. I'm considering the Triaxis/2:90 setup but I can't play one locally before buying. I would need to sell both heads to try it out. I don't really mind parting with the DR, but like I said, I'm partial to the XXX.

So, it seems that my question is, do you guys think I'd miss my XXX and regret going rack or would the many, many tonal options of the Triaxis console my fading memory? I'm also interested in the idea of running more than one pre amp (Marshall? ADA?) and for that matter wonder if it's possible to midi-control multiple power sections (i.e. mix and match pre and power at the touch of a button...does this work? How is the output load handled if so?).

Thanks--it's nice to help the newbies ;)

• Members

there may be other options...what about getting a rectifier recording preamp and running it through the xxx head? that might give you the best of both worlds...adding something like the gcx switcher would let you integrate the recto preamp, gt-6 and 5-6 other pieces of outboard gear (i believe it has 8 loops...not 100% sure though) like pedals, eqs, or other processors, in a midi switchable configuration...

to answer your question about parting with the xxx up front, i'd not worry about it too much. they seem to be fairly readily available, and a triaxis/2:90 set-up is going to hold its value, so if you decide its not for you, you'll have no problem selling it and getting most of your investment back...

as for being able to switch between different power options, you're getting into a whole 'nother ballpark...there are people on here who could field that part of your question much better. as an aside, i just got a hughes and kettner vs250 poweramp and it uses el84's which to my ears seem to be a nice middle ground between the bass response and headroom of a 6l6 and the crunch of el34's...and certain poweramps would let you mix 6l6's and el34's, but i can't think of a poweramp that is switchable in that particular way. the 2:90 has the different mode/voicing switching (as do a few others) but to my knowledge, to be able to switch between different tube combinations on the fly would require several poweramps, and a cabinet/load switcher...but again, i'm sure someone on here with more experience would have a better answer for this part of your question...

and you realize of course, that once you cross over to the dark side, its all obsession and poverty from here on out ("mortgage? but i just bought 200' of mogami cable and 100 switchcraft plugs!):D

• Members

Converting your rack is going to be a huge step in either the right direction or the wrong direction depending on how well (or not) you have done your homework...

The reason I am saying this is because every piece that you put in will have a very noticable difference to what you already have and sometimes putting 1 thing in the wrong order can throw everything out of wack...

I'm not saying it is a bad thing though, it just takes a lot of prep work before hand...

You will definately get more versatility out of a rack setup than out of the effects/head setup...

So basiclly what I am saying is stick around here because I don't know the answers to your specific questions because I don't have any experience with that stuff, but others do and they will steer you into the right direction :D

• Members

Here is a totally different idea. Keep both heads and build a system around them. This gives you tones that you like and dual powersections. What you would need is a way to route/control them and a Digital Music GCX would do the trick. That way you can run both heads as preamps and separate poweramps for a stereo rig. You would need the loop switcher, GCX, and a pedal to control it. The Digital Music Ground Control is excellent and already setup for the GCX. Then you take the guitar signal and send it to each head via a loop, take the send from each heads effects loops, the Recto can be set for a serial, and run that back to the GCX for stereo effects. Then from your processing back to the return of each head for power. It's a lot easier than it sounds. Then you can add other heads or preamps to your hearts content once you have the GCX and heads acting as poweramps.

• Members

Thanks guys, sounds like some good advice to chew on there. It's easy for me to think..."I'll just build a rack and all of my problems will be solved":rolleyes:, yeah, I guess there's more to it than that...keep the replies coming--they're appreciated!

cheers

• Members

Have you looked into Egnater's stuff? (Mod100 head or M4 preamp) The Twin, SL++, and E-Rect modules should get you there. If you get sick of those sounds or need something else you can just plug in other modules.

Archived