Tap Tempo w/ G Major & DMC Ground Control

• Members

Anybody use a G Major with an old DMC Ground Control unit? Are you able to change the global tap tempo using a footswitch? I was speaking with DMC customer support this morning and he said the old Ground Control pedal does not support tap tempo. Can a footswitch - like the Boss FS-5 (not sure if I would need momentary or latching) - be plugged into the G Major for tap tempo?

Thanks!

• Members

There are two things that you can do.

One is to have your Ground Control upgraded to software version 2.5. It will cost you about $35 and will enable you to use "Bank 4" mode which makes the lower 4 buttons presets and the upper 6 buttons programable function buttons. I use Bank 4 and have one function button assigned to tap-tempo. With that mode you can have 6 buttons that can send CC messages to turn on/off functions within the preset and free up your expression pedals.

The other is to get a Boss FS-5U which is a momentary switch and plug it into one of your expression pedal ports to act as a tap-tempo controller once you program that port to be the same CC as your processors tap-tempo control.

• Members

Originally posted by Flat Fifth Fury

There are two things that you can do.

One is to have your Ground Control upgraded to software version 2.5. It will cost you about $35 and will enable you to use "Bank 4" mode which makes the lower 4 buttons presets and the upper 6 buttons programable function buttons. I use Bank 4 and have one function button assigned to tap-tempo. With that mode you can have 6 buttons that can send CC messages to turn on/off functions within the preset and free up your expression pedals.

The other is to get a
Boss FS-5U
which is a momentary switch and plug it into one of your expression pedal ports to act as a tap-tempo controller once you program that port to be the same CC as your processors tap-tempo control.

Thanks for the info. My Ground Control is already updated to version 2.5. I would actually prefer not to use Bank 4 mode and have all ten buttons send program change messages instead.

But your second idea is exactly along the lines of what I was thinking. I only need one expression pedal, so I'm fine with one jack having the Boss FS-5U and the other having an expression pedal. Are you sure that would work? Can I assign each expression port its own CC (one obviously being tap tempo? The guy at DMC said it wouldn't work - he said there is no way to use tap tempo with the older Ground Control - but it sounds like it works for you :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Woody777

Could I just plug a momentary footswitch into the External Control jack on the back of the G Major to control the tap tempo function?

you should be able to...but again the g-major manual will tell you for sure.

part of the issue with being able to use the exp. pedal port may be that you need to use an insert cable from the ground control to the pedal and back (to send a signal FROM the ground control TO the expression IN and then FROM the expression pedal OUT back TO the ground control). i'm only guessing, but the boss footswitches are probably regular 1/4" plugs, so it won't work. this would be true even if you had the gc pro

so in that case, yeah the only way you're going to be able to run tap tempo from the ground control is with the 4 bank mode...which you're no interested in. as a plug though, i will say that the 4 bank mode can really bring out the power of the g-major, in that you can switch fx in and out of each preset as you like and have the status of all your fx reflected on your controller...

• Members

Thanks Somata,

I think the expression pedal ports in the back of the Ground Control were designed to only handle a standard volume pedal and that's the reason a footswitch won't work. But both jacks are "IN" only and are 1/4", so I'm not exactlye sure how you would hook up an expression pedal? I guess just from the jack on the Ground Control to the "IN" jack on the volume pedal.

Anyway, the G Major manual is kind of confusing - especially because I don't have a G Major in front of me yet. But it sounds like you can set the tap tempo to "pedal" mode, which will cause any pedal plugged into the external control jack in the back of the G Major (TC Electronic says a momentary switch works best) to control tap tempo. And if you set the "speed" settings in your G Major to "ignore" (I think, I might have that part backwards), then the speed will automatically match the global tap tempo that you tap in each time.

Can anyone confirm the above - do I actually know what I'm talking about here :D

• Members

Originally posted by Woody777

Thanks Somata,

I think the expression pedal ports in the back of the Ground Control were designed to only handle a standard volume pedal and that's the reason a footswitch won't work. But both jacks are "IN" only and are 1/4", so I'm not exactlye sure how you would hook up an expression pedal? I guess just from the jack on the Ground Control to the "IN" jack on the volume pedal.

:D

ok, assuming you're using a volume pedal-

well, an insert cable is actually a "Y" with a stereo plug on one end and two mono plugs on the other, where by one plug is wired to the tip of the stereo plug and and the other plug is wired to the ring. so you plug the stereo end into the ground control, and one of the monos into the volume in and the other into the volume out (the manual specifies which one--tip or ring--goes where but i don't recall off the top of my head). therefore the ground control sends info out of the expression port, through one side of the insert cable and into the volume pedal in...you then change that info via the movement of the pot in the volume pedal. this changed information is then sent from the out of the pedal into the other side of the insert cable and then back into the ground control through the expression port. so, the insert cable (and specifically the stereo plug that plugs into the exp. pedal poet) allows the ground control to send and receive information through a single port. does that make more sense?

i only go through this example because most people use volume pedals (usually the ernie balls) for expression pedals. the concensus seems to be that there aren't any specifically expression pedals that are made as well (to stand up to frequent use, gigging, moving around etc.). the expression pedals that i'm aware of, that are widely available, are plastic...

i'm glad to offer the help that i can, it took me forever to figure out my ground control pro (and this site was a huge help!) so keep em coming!

Archived