Rack Setup, AH! Please Help!!

• Members

I'm so confused......ha

My rack:

Korg DTR-1 tunner

AudioTechnica Wireless 1400

V-amp Pro

BBE 482

I dont have any clue how to wire this up, I mean.....i've had it wired up and working but I wanna put it through the effects loop instead and im just really confused...mainly between the BBE and V-Amp....

Should i put the V-amp and BBE into FX Loop and my tuner and wireless straight into input on my Mesa Dual Rec.?

Another big thing that I dont under stand is on the back of the V-Amp:

Pre DSP Insert:

-Send/Line Out

-Return/Line In

Post DSP Insert:

-Return (in) -let and right

-Send (out) -left and right

Yes ive read the manual and i just dont understand the Pre and Post DSP stuff, whats DSP?

Any help would be grand.

Thank you :)

• Members

DSP would be Digital Signal Processing....In your case I believe it would the effects loops post preamp....

How are you using the V-Amp? As a preamp or strictly for effects?

If for effects - put the V-Amp & BBE in the effects loop of you Rectifier....

Wireless

Tuner

Rectifier >V-Amp - BBE

I would think if you are using the V-Amp for effects - you should try to use the POST DSP in and out first....If that doesnt work use the other....

• Members

Originally posted by ocnor

Things that DON'T go together:

1. ketchup and icecream

2. beer and pay toilets

3. BBE and guitar rigs

4. V-Amp and Dual Recto

I'll agree with 1 and 2....

Alot of professionals I've seen live use the BBE in their guitar rigs or bass rigs. I originally bought it for the PA System (wow did it do a job and half, amazing)...but its in my rack now incase i helps out my sound, if not ill replace it with something else.

4......eh...well.......prob going to end up agreeing if things dont straighten up and it stops crapping up my sound. I'll need to try Lorax recomondation first...then get back to you :D

• Members

Originally posted by Lorax

DSP would be Digital Signal Processing....In your case I believe it would the effects loops post preamp....

How are you using the V-Amp? As a preamp or strictly for effects?

If for effects - put the V-Amp & BBE in the effects loop of you Rectifier....

Wireless

Tuner

Rectifier >V-Amp - BBE

I would think if you are using the V-Amp for effects - you should try to use the POST DSP in and out first....If that doesnt work use the other....

I tried every which way and couldnt get effects to go throu the effects loops and hear them, ......I'll have to find the Rectifer manual and check it out there too i suppose.

• Members

did you try Pre-DSP In and Post DSP out?

Defniitely disregard #3 - The anti-BBE with Guitar rigs is a byproduct of using forums of the sometimes uninformed and overtly opinionated....If something doesnt work for them they have this weird global opinion that it cant work for anyone...Oddly enough in some instances the opinion doesnt even come from experience.

Go Figure :rolleyes:

• Members

You spent $200 on a V-amp pro which does a moderate job at emulating amps, and a poor job with the fx.

For that same $200 you could buy a brand new Rocktron Xpression, or a used Intellifex (for even less) and they will both do a much better job than the V-amp fx.

..or save up a few more bucks for a used TC G-major, which I have and love.

Your Dual Recto and a solid 1-rackspace fx unit should cover most anything you need.

stilwel

• Members

Lorax I think that you are confusing being opinionated with being educated. I have been playing guitar,bass, drums and running sound for 26 years . I believe that I can speak from experience. Most people don't understand how a BBE works. It is meant to be used on PA systems. High and low frequencies travel at different speeds. Since there can be a large distance between the PA speakers and the audience The BBE creates a delay on the lows so that all of the frequencies reach the audience at the same time. Most people don't stand 30 or more feet away from their guitar speakers so this makes the BBE useless for this purpose. When adjusted correctly you will hear no difference in the tone. If you want to alter the tone get a parametric EQ.

I agree with stilwel that an actual FX unit such as a G-Major would do a much better job.

• Members

Thanks everyone. I've loved the effects I've gotten so far out of the V-amp, they are wonderful so..here comes that personal taste stuff again. Again...when i try to use my Recto distortion...BAM! staile as most people have said it is with the V-Amp, but I'm by passing the amp sims and on a v-amp bank that has no effect or reverb as well.

I've used the BBE in my bass right when I use to play in a band for bass...REALLY added alot....so much that I didnt use it cause it was complete over kill with the nice system I already had it in...if i would have ever got a 1x15...then I think it would have been awesome for it...

Guitar.....I've messed around with it alittle, with my old Line 6 HD i didnt really notice anything. With the Mesa I notice some but it sounds not so good, BUT I have NOT tweaked with the settings, I just made sure my rack wireing would make everything work....although I'm doing it all over again now just to try to get it into the damn FX Loop.

I won't be able to try the FX Loop until next weekend, getting ready to take off 2 hours back north to college for the week.

Oh funny thing, I think I'm going to take the FCB1010 controller back and just use my Zoom GFX-8 multi pedal to control it only, no effects off of it. Why? Simple...FCB1010 you can't name things...my GFX-8...I CAN!! I can name every bank I use...plus it does the job just fine so why the hell did i go buy a $140 pedal? :rolleyes: Granted the thing looks amazing.......though I'm afraid of breaking the expression pedals, so cheap...

• Members

Originally posted by ocnor

Lorax I think that you are confusing being opinionated with being educated. I have been playing guitar,bass, drums and running sound for 26 years . I believe that I can speak from experience. Most people don't understand how a BBE works. It is meant to be used on PA systems. High and low frequencies travel at different speeds. Since there can be a large distance between the PA speakers and the audience The BBE creates a delay on the lows so that all of the frequencies reach the audience at the same time. Most people don't stand 30 or more feet away from their guitar speakers so this makes the BBE useless for this purpose. When adjusted correctly you will hear no difference in the tone. If you want to alter the tone get a parametric EQ.

I agree with stilwel that an actual FX unit such as a G-Major would do a much better job.

Well, I got ya by a few years ;)

Thats the problem - people think they are for altering tone - I would agree they are not.....But to say they dont serve a purpose for guitar is flat out wrong.....Long cable runs and other situations can cause exactly the problems you stated - the BBE CAN fix those. The BBE DOES work for guitar but not the way most people intend to use it. We do agree that EQs are better for shaping tone - but that seems to about it in this case.

I must admit - I am shocked with someone with such experience would completely discount something like the BBE in every way shape or form.

• Members

It's not that I discount the BBE. It works fine for its intended purpose {PA system} The problem lies in the way that inexperienced people adjust them wrongly and cause nightmares for the sound tech. I can't count the number of times that I have seen people crank the knobs of these units in a feeble attempt to add bass to a rig or PA. Then they stand there scratching their heads wondering where all of the mids went. So then they crank the other knob to try to compensate. This usually results in ear bleeding feedback. So I guess it's not so much that I dislike the BBE as much as I'm annoyed by people trying to use them as an EQ. I have also seen people trying to adjust crossovers as if they were EQs. [stupid]

• Members

ok...then agreed....My post was based on what I read most of the cases of BBE bashing.....Those not using for its intended purpose....Without a doubt they are a weapon in the wrong hands :D

• Members

Originally posted by sadlytragic

I'm so confused......ha

My rack:

Korg DTR-1 tunner

AudioTechnica Wireless 1400

V-amp Pro

BBE 482

I dont have any clue how to wire this up, I mean.....i've had it wired up and working but I wanna put it through the effects loop instead and im just really confused...mainly between the BBE and V-Amp....

Should i put the V-amp and BBE into FX Loop and my tuner and wireless straight into input on my Mesa Dual Rec.?

I think yes.

Another big thing that I dont under stand is on the back of the V-Amp:

Pre DSP Insert:

-Send/Line Out

-Return/Line In

Post DSP Insert:

-Return (in) -let and right

-Send (out) -left and right

Yes ive read the manual and i just dont understand the Pre and Post DSP stuff, whats DSP?

Any help would be grand.

Thank you
:)

DSP: Digital Signal Processing.

The pre dsp insert is a loop that is after the v amp's preamp, and before the vamps effects unit.

The send is also a LINE OUT. This means you can use this as a preamp direct out to, for example, a guitar amp(Without effects, amp/speaker sims).

The return is also a LINE IN. This means you can use it to connect here the output from other preamp, and use the v amp's effects and amp/speaker sims.

The post dsp insert is a loop after the v amp's effects. As the v amp's effects unit is stereo, this loop has 2 outputs to send both sides to different inputs in other(s) device(s). It has 2 inputs to return the separated signals and drive them in stereo to the amp/speaker sims, and then to the 2 outputs (stereo).

Archived