Preamp into effects loop of an amp head?

• Members

Hi,

I was thinking of getting a rack setup at some point in time, but I wanted to try out preamps into my amp head at the moment. Is this possible? I would run guitar -> preamp -> effects loop of amp.

I know this might sound like a stupid question for most of you, but please help a newbie!:)

cheers

Mike

• Members

Yes it works perfectly fine....Some give you more control than others....For instance, my 5150 did not allow me to control the overall volume - ie the power has on "10"....but thats about the worst thing you would have to deal with...

• Members

Originally posted by Lorax

Yes it works perfectly fine....Some give you more control than others....For instance, my 5150 did not allow me to control the overall volume - ie the power has on "10"....but thats about the worst thing you would have to deal with...

Yes... a lot of noise. That's what happened to me when i plugged my jmp1 into my 2210. The same noise than if all the levels in the head were on 10.

• Members

i used to have an ada mp1 and now i use a rocktron chameleon. i plug into the preamp and then run the preamp into the "return" part of the fx loop. i don't use the "send". somebody showed me that a long time ago. it bypasses your head's preamp and allows u to just use the power. the cool part is that you can still use the knobs on your head to tweak your tone.

Archived