JMP-1 and G-Major?

• Members

OK, got my JMP-1 and tried it our through my Marshall 9100 power amp and a custom made, ported, 2x 12" with a V30 and a G12H30. It sounds great!!!!:) ( What the hell are the people who think this pre amp sucks thinking?!?!?!?!?:confused: )

I'm thinking of getting a G-Major for effects...would these units work well together? I don't use effects as a basis for my sounds ( yet?) but when I do use them, I need them!

Someone previously suggested I use a "mixer" because of the JMP-1's parallel loop....I have no idea what that means!:( Help?

I'm thinking a G-Major through the JMP-1 with a quality midi control pedal...? I have the 4 button footswitch for the JMP-1, but I don't think that is going to cut it...especailly with an effects unit.

BTW- anyone interested in a POD Pro with flor board, cheap?:cool::D

• Members

I too have a JMP-1 and a G-Major. Great combination.

I run my G-Major in the JMP fx loop serially (on 12). Some people claim they get crap results with the fx loop, but I'm not hearing the same things they are. I have no complaints.

stilwel

• Members

Originally posted by FINNS

What the hell are the people who think this pre amp sucks thinking?!?!?!?!?
:confused:

we just seem to have a more discerning and refined taste than jmp-1 users. ;) theres nothing wrong w/ liking it, but there are those who make it out to be more than it is.

• Members

Originally posted by stilwel

I too have a JMP-1 and a G-Major. Great combination.

I run my G-Major in the JMP fx loop serially (on 12). Some people claim they get crap results with the fx loop, but I'm not hearing the same things they are. I have no complaints.

stilwel

Same way I use it. I don't have any complaints either.

• Members

From my recent experience, I'd say, don't use the loop as a parallel loop with the G Major. It sounds bad. Turn the effects mix knob on your amp to 100%, essentially turning it into a serial loop. Using the Kill Dry with a parallel loop doesn't sound good, so use it without the Kill Dry, and turn your effects mix to 100%.

• Members

here my all time secrets for jmp 1..use od 1 gain 3-4/..then plunk the mi audio overdrive pedal..in front..its basicall any tone..thick..tubous..kikass...this will start a jmp1 REvolucion i tell ya..its the majik box for that preamp!!!

• Members

Alrighty then...I just got home with the G-Major and a real nice Yamaha foot controller. I ran the JMP-1 outs into the G-Major ins, and then staright to the power amp. I just messed with the factory pre sets and so far so good except that the volume level is significantly reduced between when the G-Major is on and the unit is bypassed. What's up with that? IS bypassing the effects loop completely the best way to go? I'll keep messing with it, but any other tips and clues would help....

...except for Banzini, who can kiss my hairy ass!:mad:

• Members

Alrighty then...I just got home with the G-Major and a real nice Yamaha foot controller. I ran the JMP-1 outs into the G-Major ins, and then staright to the power amp. I just messed with the factory pre sets and so far so good except that the volume level is significantly reduced between when the G-Major is on and the unit is bypassed. What's up with that? IS bypassing the effects loop completely the best way to go? I'll keep messing with it, but any other tips and clues would help....

...except for Banzini, who can kiss my hairy ass!
:mad:

FINNS,

If you do a search on here, there is a ton of info on hooking up the G Major and the various tweaks to balance everything. I only say that because I don't have much experience with it.

From reading some of the other posts, the volume issue is not a problem, it is just a matter of editing your patches and adjusting the volume parameters within the patches, as well as the input strength and output volumes of the unit itself.

Hope that helps a little.

Mike

• Members

Originally posted by miker2c

Hope that helps a little.

Mike

It does...is tells me that I need to:

#1 read the manual

#2 spend more than 20 minutes with it before excitedly coming here to post!:rolleyes:

I have a feeling I will be playing with this for a loooooooong time before I can use it live!:o

Thanks.

• Members

I recently put my first rack together. I started with a JMP-1> Peavey Profex> G-Major> BBE 482> Mesa 20/20> Weber mini- MASS> mixer > house.

I was having problems with the FX loop sounding right, so I came out of the speaker emulator on the JMP-1 to the profex and then stereo out to the G-major. I had a friend with a similar set-up to help me set up some presets and WOW, the sound is awesome. I was very disappointed in the factory presets for the JMP-1, but after my friend tweaked awhile on it I couldn't be happier. I've always been an amp/stompbox guy, but this is the best set-up I've ever had. But then again, I've only been playing since '68.

• Members

...except for Banzini, who can kiss my hairy ass!
:mad:

I can't remember if it's in the submenu for the "I/O" button or the "Levels" button, but you need to change the input level on the G Major from "professional" to "consumer" (if you haven't already) and that will increase the input volume of the processor. I'm assuming that you have the input and output knobs on the G major cranked already. I had this problem with mine and it was because I was using it in a parallel loop using the Kill Dry switch. Like I said before, I wouldn't recommend operating it like this. Do you have the FX mix for your amp's loop cranked to 100% and the "kill dry" switch off? You should definitely try it like that if not. When you do this, switch all routing to serial rather than parallel inside the G Major. That makes a huge difference.

Archived