expression pedals w/ DMC Ground Control

• Members

What kind of cable do I need to hook up an expression pedal to my DMC Ground Control? I know it uses a standard guitar volume pedal with a 250K ohm pot. I plan to just use an Ernie Ball volume pedal.

I think I need an insert cable with one balanced stereo 1/4" plug to two unbalanced mono 1/4" plugs. Something like this: insert cable Would this one work, I don't know if the ends are balanced or unbalanced though: insert cable

Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks,

Adam

• Members

Ground control pro? Maybe....

Ground Control - no

A simple 1/4 patch cable works perfect with the regular GC. I will be trying it on the GC Pro tonite. I cant see the point of the Y cable for one expression pedal. The manual on GC Pro show stereo to two mono for two pedals per jack for a total of 4. But it stands to reason a simple mono cable will work fine for a single expression pedal.

Note - Stereo is balanced - Mono is unbalanced. Its no more complicated than that.

• Members

Lorax: What page does it show and say that you can use (4) expression pedals with the GC Pro.

My take on it is that you can only use 2 with the insert cables.

I totally understand electrically, and theoreticaly it would be possible to create a 4-pedal setup with (2) TRS connections, but I don't believe the GC Pro was setup for that.

• Members

Your right....thats a mistake on my part....GCPro uses an in and out if you like with the expression pedal.....But the GC did not or at least didnt need to, my version never showed that (although I dont have that manual in front of me).

I have only had the GCPro 1 day, I skimmed the manual. I plan to setup my expression pedal tonite.

Anyways, they showed the setups completely different, that was my major point - I just took it too far :)

Sorry

But this raises the question - why the in and out? The GC worked just fine with out only. What are the needs/advantages of in and out? Any particular application?

• Members

Thanks for the replies, but I think I'm more confused now than before :D

Was I correct in thinking I need an insert cable for the old GC? It has two jack for two expression pedals, but only one jack for each.

And is stereo always balanced and mono always unbalanced? That's very good to know if it's really that simple.

Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by Woody777

Thanks for the replies, but I think I'm more confused now than before
:D

Was I correct in thinking I need an insert cable for the old GC? It has two jack for two expression pedals, but only one jack for each.

And is stereo always balanced and mono always unbalanced? That's very good to know if it's really that simple.

Thanks!

-- I had the old GC and the manual did NOT state a stereo breakout cable. Only simple 1/4 plug. It was version 1.0x though. Its possible newer software mirrors the GC pro.

-- Yes, Stereo is ALWAYS balanced and Mono is ALWAYS unbalanced. They are synonyms basically. A different way of referring to the same thing.

• Members

Woody, I have that Hosa insert cable that you posted a link to.

Buy 2 of those and you're set for 2 pedals.

One thing I would have done in hindsight is get them with 90 degree plugs on all ends.

Especially, when on a tight pedalboard and you don't want large loops between parts

• Members

Originally posted by EVH Wolfgang

Woody, I have that Hosa insert cable that you posted a link to.

Buy 2 of those and you're set for 2 pedals.

One thing I would have done in hindsight is get them with 90 degree plugs on all ends.

Especially, when on a tight pedalboard and you don't want large loops between parts

Thanks for the help everyone. And to just to confirm 100%, either cable I posted will work. I just spoke to somebody at DMC.

I'm going to make sure I get volume pedals with jack on the top, and then the straight ends won't be an issue.

Archived