Questions about an all-rack system

• Members

Hi ya'll

I'm starting my rack system (at this moment i've a V-twin and a custom made power amp).

The system i've in mind will be:

v-twin

custom power amp

Gmajor fx processor

Compressor (i've not decided what model/brand yet)

octopus midi controller

furman

bbe

any unit with lights... (LOL... :D )

it'll have 10u...

I'm planning to buy a Morley Li'l alligator volume pedal and a ground control midi controler. I'd like to know if i could control volume, using the morley, but without conecting the morley between the pre-amp section and the power (because of the cable spend... :))

does the ground control has an extra port to connect the morley? if i connect it at the beggining of the chain it won't be able to control volume, will it?

Thanx

• Members

I think you'd have to connect it between the pre and power amps or put it in front of the pre which would be useless for volume control. Unless I'm mistaken, they signal doesn't go through the Ground Control at all, it just sends MIDI signals to the rack to switch presets on stuff. Good luck!

- Erich

• Members

Careful there. I'm not positive, but I think the Lil Alligator is an active (powered) volume pedal and that won't work with most expression pedal input jacks. They typically require a passive volume or expression pedal.

I don't own a Ground Control, so I can't say for sure. Hopefully, someone will give you a more definitive answer.

Dig

• Members

Originally posted by RBFREIRE

but beying an active pedal, will it be possible to act as a volume pedal even in the start of the signal chain?

a volume pedal is the same as the volume knob on your guitar. it can be anywhere in the chain. generally, the earlier the better. my volume pedal is the first thing in my signal chain, after the guitar.

• Members

Mr Ten is right. In order to remotely control your volume you will need some kind of unit like the Nobels. The Morley will most likely not work with a Ground Control as a controler. I'd also suggest you look into getting a midi loop switcher, like a GCX or an Axess GFX-4 to pull your compressor and bbe out of the signal chain when you don't need it. Otherwise they will be engaged at all times and I'm not sure if you want your compressor always going.

Archived