GMajor, Stompbox EQ, & a TSL

• Members

Hey all, how's it goin tonight? I just had a quick question or two before I start buying some gear for a rack. Currently, I use a TSL head & a MXR stompbox EQ in the loop - I also have a BBE Sonic Maximizer that's neglected cause I dont have a rack yet, and I'd like to incorporate a GMajor & DMC Ground Control if possible.

My question is: Can I run the GMajor, the Sonic Maximizer, and the MXR EQ together? The TSL has a button on its F/X loop that, when pushed in, regulates the signal for rack gear, and when pushed out, regulates the signal for stompboxes.

Also, will the GMajor/DMC be able to switch channels on the TSL?

If so, is there a delay when switching channels?

Thanks all!

• Members

i have a setup very similar to what you are describing. The G Major/Ground Control can easily change channels on the TSL. You have to make a custom cable to interface between the G and the TSL. There is a .pdf doc on the TC Electronics web site that shows you how to do it.

There is no delay switching channels, and the G has no lag when changing patches. The TSL has an issue with effects loop volume "swelling" when switching from the Lead channel to the Clean channel. It has never been a problem for me, because I rarely need to switch from an effects laden lead sound directly to a clean sound.

As for the effects loop level switch on the TSL, I think I have mine set for pedals. I gets a hotter signal to the G. You can also set the G input sensitivity so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Members

+1 to both of the above replies

I run the exact same setup (minus the BBE). Set the TSL loop level to "consumer" and set the sensitivity in the G Major to "consumer" as well. Now your loop is suitable for both pedals and the G Major.

• Members

Oh yeah, one last thing... Do any of you make the GMajor-to-TSL custom cables? If so, let me know and I'll be happy to pay ya whatever you think is fair. I SUCK at making custom cables and am always paranoid that they're gonna short on me.

• Members

Originally posted by SB Dave

Also, will the GMajor/DMC be able to switch channels on the TSL?

If so, is there a delay when switching channels?

Not sure if you can do it using just the gmajor

click on the link above..you can definately control the 3 using the CFX4 and one of their TSL custom cables. check out the price list, it's not too bad. i don't actually own any of this stuff yet but i'm in a similar situation and this is the road i'm going to take

• Members

I am capable of making such a cable.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll quote you a price.

Note: You can only get channel switching functions with this cable. Due to the G-Major only have a single stereo 1/4" jack on the back, you loose the FX Loop and Reverb buttons. You shouldn't need those anyway

EDIT:

Now that I see his price, I don't think I'd want to make one cheaper than $25, if that's the same cable.

If you are still interested, I'll be happy to do it for that price.

• Members

I got my custom cable from JPL Audio (a fellow HC forumite). I can't remember the price but it seems like it was only $10-$15. He's a great guy and does great work.

Keep in mind that you will only be able to switch channels on the TSL OR turn the reveb and effects loop on/off - you cannot do both. But I just leave the loop on all the time and use the G Major reverb, so it's not an issue.

• Members

Hey EVH Wolfgang,

I tried to pm you, but ur box is full. I am willing to pay $25 for the cable - no problem. Have you built this type of cable before? Also, should I worry about them fraying after a few months of use, or do you use quality cable? PM me when ya get the chance. Thanks!

• Members

I also checked out the CFX4 from Axess-Electronics. Just to confirm tho, I know it can switch channels on the TSL, but how many stomboxes can it relay on and off? There's 4 inputs - so would that be 2 pedals or 4? Not sure if you have to connect both the input & output of the stompbox or just the input? I have a delay & chorus pedal that I use a lot on clean, but hafta turn them off very quickly and hit the distortion channel all at the same time. Would the CFX4 resolve that issue? Sorry, I'm a novice with midi.. Thanks for your help!

• Members

not lame questions mate, i'm just as novice!! :D

i believe all three should work together.. you might want to check with mario at axess..he's great, he'll clearly explain everything for you.

yes you can control up to 4 devices with the CFX4.. so that could be 2 rack and 2 pedals or 3 rack and 1 pedal etc.

(you might have CFX4 and GRX4 mixed up - or i might!)

as far as i know..the GRX4 is the looper to take and put in devices in or out of your signal path. you fx don't go into the CFX4, pretty sure the CFX4 is strictly for being able to switch amp channels via midi

check out this rig... it uses the GRX4 with pedals

rig with GRX4

once again i'm 99% sure you can use your midi pedal with these two pieces but you'd need to check properly with axess. themselves.

Archived