is a tube preamp a waste w/o tube power amp?

• Members

What amp are you trying to improve upon? Solid state power amps are great at times. I have an old Crate that I still use from time to time. It's dependable as hell, lighter than a similar tube amp and requires no tube changes.

You can use a tube pre with a solid state amp and it will totally change the initial sound that you're amplifying.

That being said, I find that tube power amps tend to have more usable power and much more listenable cleans to me than most solid state amps that I've had experience with.

Short answer: yes, you can use a tube pre with a solid state power amp and possibly get good results.

• Members

definitely not a waste for me... and I rather like the 12 lb 1 rack space Rocktron Velocity 120 that powers my TriAxis ;) My rack is only 50 lbs instead of at least 70 lbs because of it :D Love the tube tones but, hate the weight. That being said, if you like your preamp a lot, it should sound fine with SS power.

• Members

The Velocity 120 is a great small amp. tubes are great but you can get good results from virtually anything that is half way decent. The Velocity 300 is a great amp too. There is an amp I am looking into that is one rack space and is SS with a tube front end... its a Brunetti Rockit.

• Members

I use a Carvin DCM-150

Another Light, SS Amp

I'm not using a tube pre thought, but I purchased mine for the same reasons as the other guys...Less weight!

I might someday replace it with a Mesa 20/20 or Brunetti Rockit but I like at the moment not haveing any tube equipment in the rack to worry about.

• Members

thanks for replying guys. I bought a little mic preamp with credit I had at GCen. It makes the clean sound better but it breaks up a little. That's good for strat blues. I trust your opinions because you play Carvins :) I got a Bolt Plus C a while ago and it is great! Haven't touched the Strat in awhile. In fact I may sell it to fund a DC127T !

• Members

I use a MosValve 1160 with my rack system, and it sounds better than the Marshall 9100 I used to use, louder, and much lighter as well.

I really don't understand all the hype about tube poweramp distortion being something inherantly desireable. Some of us like a reliable tone at any volume level primarily relying on our preamps for distortion/OD.

• Members

Originally posted by EVH Wolfgang

Yeah, In a Rack-Application: you don't go for PowerAmp-Distortion like you would in a head.

The thing with choosing a tube PowerAmp is just the warmer tone.

I kinda thought that is what EQ's are designed for. "Warm" is a subjective term.

• Members

Originally posted by EVH Wolfgang

Yeah, In a Rack-Application: you don't go for PowerAmp-Distortion like you would in a head.

The thing with choosing a tube PowerAmp is just the warmer tone.

Just my opinion, but there's more to it than "just warmer tone". Mosvalves are pretty damn "warm" sounding for solid state. But we're also all generalizing here. There are both great and poor solid state amps just as there are differing qualities in tube amps.

Archived