Jump to content

midi controller


Recommended Posts

  • Members

Id go with a rocktron midi mate. It stores names of patches and can run using phantom power so you wont need a seperate power cord to run. I have had mine for 2 years and havent had any problems. I got mine for about $200. I have recently got the all access which has a few more options but costs alot more.

For the money the fcb 1010 is hard to beat. My brother has used his for a year and a half and it is worked perfectly. It is nice because it has the expression pedals built in and isnt overly complicated to program.

I like not having to use a seperate power supply to my pedal but i guess im just lazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I would say scrap the Behringer and get a used Ground Control. They can be had for around $125US and are far better than the Behringer. And don't say that the Behringer already has expression pedals built in; they are terrible. Our bassist has one of those cheap plastic toys and it's just about a joke. My Ground Control is a far superior midi control pedal and I paid the same as he did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by Flat Fifth Fury

I would say scrap the Behringer and get a used Ground Control. They can be had for around $125US and are far better than the Behringer. And don't say that the Behringer already has expression pedals built in; they are terrible. Our bassist has one of those cheap plastic toys and it's just about a joke. My Ground Control is a far superior midi control pedal and I paid the same as he did.

 

 

^ The guitarists that I know who have the Behringer say the same thing about the expression pedal. The sweep on it is very weak according to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by scarecrowfields

Hi Brian,

I use a triaxis and a randall rm4 which both supply phantom power to the midi mate.

The midi mate has been very durable for me so far and i havent had any problems.

 

Thanks for your info

 

In fact, i have a Rolls RP93 midi switcher and it supply the phatom power as well. (12v-5 pin midi cable)

 

However, some people told me that 12v is just too high for the midi pedal. Because most of the midi controoler only require 9v. I am just onderign which midi controller should get. Ihate to use adpater with my controller on stage. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by Flat Fifth Fury

I would say scrap the Behringer and get a used Ground Control. They can be had for around $125US and are far better than the Behringer. And don't say that the Behringer already has expression pedals built in; they are terrible. Our bassist has one of those cheap plastic toys and it's just about a joke. My Ground Control is a far superior midi control pedal and I paid the same as he did.

 

 

Hi Flat Fifth Fury

 

I am interest to get a DMC Ground Control. How do you power up your controller?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I'm about to get the DMC GCP. It comes with it's own power supply. But if you have the Guitar Audio Switcher (GCX, also by DMC), the GCP can get it's power through the outer pins of the midi cable plugged into the GCX.

 

The GCP will be replacing a FCB1010, whose inadequacy is becoming more apparent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by Brian Chan


I am interest to get a DMC Ground Control. How do you power up your controller?

 

 

My Ground Control is powered by my GCX loop switcher. It has a dedicated power feed through a standard 5 pin MIDI cable. If you don't have a dedicated feed you can easily splice power to your Ground Control by taping into the outer two pins on the cable. In a standard Midi cable only the inner 3 pins are active.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

The Ground Control and Ground Control Pro both have a dedicated jack for a wall-supply, or you can do the Phantom-Power route.

 

 

I own both and have tried the others and highly recommend the Ground Control 2.0 if you can find one used. Otherwise, you're budget will be a little low to find a good controller.

 

If you manage to get that MidiMate for under $200, then go for that since it's currently available. That would be my second choice in the low-budget arena.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by EVH Wolfgang

The Ground Control and Ground Control Pro both have a dedicated jack for a wall-supply, or you can do the Phantom-Power route.

 

Could you tell me how to do it? My Rolls switcher give 12v phantom power. So i just afraid it is too high for a 9v requirement pedal.:(

 

So i may get the Rocktron Midi Mate rather than DMC GC on the phantom power issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

The easiest way is to get a midi-cable that has a splice so you can still use the provided wall-supply, but plug it in, in the back of the rack instead of on the floor. Then on the side that connects to the floorboard is wired with the extra pins.

 

Here's what I have as well as others:

 

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/331270/

 

This will work for any product that uses the standard "Phantom Power" so don't worry that it's made by Rocktron. It will work with all brands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by EVH Wolfgang

The easiest way is to get a midi-cable that has a splice so you can still use the provided wall-supply, but plug it in, in the back of the rack instead of on the floor. Then on the side that connects to the floorboard is wired with the extra pins.


Here's what I have as well as others:




This will work for any product that uses the standard "Phantom Power" so don't worry that it's made by Rocktron. It will work with all brands.

 

 

Thank you so much

 

But do you have any pic of your set up and also the cable? I have never seen that cable before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...