crazy idea? (abacus + midi mate)

• Members

I just recently got a Rocktron MIDI Mate to control my rack. I was previously using an Abacus to control my Triaxis, but wanted the added flexability of control change commands for my processor.

I've been noticing that the button layout on the MIDI Mate is similar to that of the Abacus. Since I like the added control of the MIDI Mate, but like the solid feel and larger size of the Abacus, I had an idea. Does anyone think it would be possible to put the guts of the MIDI Mate into the chassis of the Abacus?

• Members

This may end up being a project that I'll actually try. Of course, I'd be risking both of my MIDI controllers, so it's not something that I'm going to take on lightly. I think swapping the guts in the two controllers might end up being a fun little thing to try though.

• Members

This is of course "your project/gig" but I'd favor the compact case of the midimate. As such, I'd look to see if I could incorporate the abacus switches into the midimate chassis.

That way, The electronics would be intact and also have the (2) external expression ports retained.

Whichever route you go, please let us know how you make out.

• Members

Originally posted by Musicman2000

This is of course "your project/gig" but I'd favor the compact case of the midimate. As such, I'd look to see if I could incorporate the abacus switches into the midimate chassis.

That's not too bad of an idea. I mean, the MIDI Mate buttons aren't horrible, but definitely don't have the feel that the Abacus buttons do. And, that'd be a simpler project. Actually, what the heck, that would be a good step to try to see if I'd like the change, then if I still felt like the chassis was feelin' a little too small I could always just try to figure out a remedy for that later on...

• Members

I'm glad you agree. (I'm all goosebumps)

I've been thnking about this for some, but never got around to scoring another floorboard (I'd be willing to tear into) to give it a go.

The thing I like best about this is the (small) red function lights are external to the switches on the MidiMate which (by theory) makes this a rather simple mod.

I would think the hardest part is fitting/securing the switch bases using the existing holes. (MidiMate holes too big?)

By all means, PM me or post how this works.

• Members

When my setup was just an Intellifex with my POD Pro, I was using the Line-6 Floorboard and the Ground Control 1.0.

I wanted control of both units with all the flexability, but with the foot-print of just the Line-6 board.

I ended up gutting the GC and stuffing it inside with the Line-6 board, then wire up the GC switches and Display in remote sections of space on the L6 board.

2 controllers in one! :D

I don't see why you can't do you idea. It just takes some planning and a basic understanding of electronics.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived