PedalBoard or Pedal Drawer vs Processors

HERC

• Members

I rarely ask questions, but there have been a few that have been naggin at me to ask you guys for your opinion on.......

How many of you guys prefer to rack pedals instead of processors, under the premise that you feel you get a more pleasing Delay, Chorus, Flange or whatever other effect that you choose to use...?

This question ties in with a thread that was posted over at HugeRacks, wherein some players used all of their effects before their preamps because they prefered it that way.......

Of course the variables are many based on differing rigs including,"Low Level Effects Loops," Serial Loops as well as Parallel, but I just think it would be interesting to hear all points of view concerning this.......

The reason that I'm inquiring as to your thoughts on this matter, is because there are quite a few quitar players who feel that there are some pedals that just have not yet been duplicated by an effects processor, so they incorporate that pedal into their rack schemes........

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this and I think that it would make for an excellent discusson... ;):)

• Members

Herc,

I personally dig both -- in my set-up I use ( 8 ) pedals that are mounted in ( 2 ) drawers, and I have a couple rack processers. To my ears, it is having the best of both worlds.

Racking pedals is really more about convenience, makes it nice not having a bazillion pedals in front of you on stage.

Pictures of my set-up -- to give you some insight to my rig:

http://community.webshots.com/user/guytron

What are currently doing with your rig -- are you looking to rack mount your pedals???

Jay

• Members

Jay, that is one beautiful rig, my friend.....:)

I just took my rig apart and sold off a couple of pieces and am seriously thinking about racking some pedals.....It's not as sophisticated as that beauty of yours but it's basically 2 GP3 Valvulator preamps running into each side of a 2/90/2 poweramp and I have a rocktron Xpression sandwiched in between for the Eq and the Speaker Sims......

What I'd really like to do is make a pedal drawer with a fulltone choral flange and a couple of my other favorites that I can switch in and out....I really appreciate the you sharing those pictures with me.....

I was wondering also about "placement" because in the thread that I was referencing above, some guys were using their effects up front, even in a rack situation because they liked the way that the delay tailed off or the way they sounded and prefered that to having them between the pre and poweramp ......

On the gp3, Steve Fryette made a Low Level effects loop especially for pedal placement...

In fact in the manual he states that:

In a GP3 rack system, high-level devices will be inserted between the GP3 and your power

amplifier or rack mixer. Pedals will be inserted in the low level Effects Loop, providing a

sonically transparent input stage that isolates the high impedance guitar pickup signal from the

stomp box

• Members

Jd, I apologize for the terse answer and I guess I thought you were trying to be condescending with your response......again, forgive me...

What I was basically trying to convey with my questions were more of a placement subject than anything else.....Alot of players, whether or not they choose pedals, rack or combinations thereof, place them up front (even if they have an effects loop) rather than in the loop itself and I'd really like to know "why you do what you do," rather than the scientific approach to it....The reasoning is simple in that there always seems to be a "correct way" to place an effect, be it stomp or rack but some players go against the grain and do what they choose to do for their own reasons and not someone elses.........I personally have alot of respect for players who choose to do something other than what their "supposed to do" just because "they say"....... :)

• Members

Usually, the rule-of-thumb is:

*Distortion pedals, Comp., and Wah: Before the amp.

*Time-based FX: In the loop or post-preamp.

Some prefer the tone of a non-conventional setup.

The nice thing with using a switching system is that you can still mount all your stompboxes in the rack and have them all routed to their proper point in the signal chain.

• Members

Hey guys,

I think that it's necessary to run pedals AND rack items together.

For a mono setup, I like my delays after the preamp, typically using a mixer. For a W/D/W setup, delays are in the "wet" cabs only.

I like chorusing after the preamp too.....and I feel fine using certain rack units for that, or even pedals such as a BOSS DC-2.....keep in mind that the effects loop of the amp has to be pedal-friendly. I use a Naylor SD-60, and it likes pedals in the loop....

I know there are guys who run rack choruses in their mixer in parallel, which nakes the chorus effect more "subtle"......but I prefer my BOSS DC-2 pedal in series after the preamp and not in a mixer....it's either On or OFF.....

I think univibes, phasers and auto-filters sound best in FRONT of the amp.....and you can even place them before overdrives / distortions / fuzz effects in order to "enhance" the modulation when you kick in more gain.

For me, the only thing I really need a rack effect for is delay.....everything else can be pedals....

Archived