Mesa Rectifier Preamp

• Members

hey , i just tryed one , a friend of mine let me try it 3 weeks !

very impressive preamp , but have to be used with a good power amp !

it sounds much better with my marshall 9100 (5881 tubes) than with a peavey 50/50 !

guitar is very important too , my rg 7620 sounds really great with it , ont he distortion channel but it is crappy on clean channel !

then the cabinets used were celestion V30 , this helps a lot to have a good sound !

palm mute are not bad , if you like mesa , you will like the recto preamp !

try it , this is a good value if you like rectifier sounds , and your not too much into beautiful clean sounds .

• Members

Thanks for the info!

I actually went ahead and took the plunge... bought one on Ebay. It should arrive tomorrow.

As noted, I have always liked the Recto tone, but the looseness is something I could never get past.

I am hoping that pairing it up with the VHT 2/50/2 will tighten the sound and still retain the overall Recto flavor.

I will be using my trusty VHT Fat Bottom Cabs, which have treated me right on everything I have run through them.

We shall see;)

Tony

• Members

I'm eager to hear your opinions as well. I bought one recently from German Ebay, or was about to buy at least. It's been nearly two weeks now since I made the payment to the seller and I'm still waiting for the unit to arrive. Well, hopefully it comes tomorrow. If I won't become ripped off, I'm going to use it besides my H&K Access and with Mesa 20/20 (yeah, I've heard that it ain't the best match but we'll see..).

• Members

Originally posted by oldmanriver

Let us know how it sounds. I too am seriously considering getting one, yet I'm not sure if I should just sell my VHT 2150 and buy a single rectifier.

For the record, the Single Recto is my favorite of the line. I have owned 2 of them and played through several. I do however prefer the series II version.

I have spent a lot of time with each of the Recto versions (except the Roadking) and the dual and triple have never done much for me.

My main issue with ALL the recto stuff is the looseness. I know recto advocates cay you can dial it out, but I certainly have not been able to:) . It may just be that my definition of tight is different than theirs as well.... If I could get close to the tightness of a VHT UL or CL with the Recto vibe, I would be a happy, happy man..... This is sort of what I am hoping to accomplich teaming up the Recto Pre with the 2/50/2. I know it will have the el34 tone instead of 6l6, but I am loking for the overall vibe... not the specific sound.

I believe the preamp will be delivered tomorrow. Unfortunately, I am out of town on business til Thursday.

Will definitely post my thughts after I have spent some time with the pre.

Tony

• Members

Funny the timing of this thread. I tested the Recto pre this past weekend with both a Mesa 2:90 and a VHT 2/50/2. I came away feeling that they both sounded great, but I liked it paired with the 2:90 better. It was tighter sounding with the 2/50/2 (EL34's), but it sounded more aggressive and "in your face" with the 2:90. For the record, I didn't test the clean channel, just the dirty. I don't think you'll be dissappointed with either combo. I just thought I'd list my findings and opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Got it, played with it for a week or so and sold it.

Even with a VHT 2/50/2, I could not dial out the loose bottom that has been in every recto I have owned/played.

I still love the voicing of recto's, but I think I give up on them because the looseness just kills it for me:(

I am running two very tight heads in stereo now and couldn't be happier:

VHT CL 50

VHT Fat Bottom Slant

Framus Cobra (can get e pretty convincing Recto tone from this without the loosness:cool: )

VHT Fat Bottom Straight

Archived