Flabby Bottom End

• Members

I am getting a lot of flab down in my lower guitar range, especially low E and A strings. I have leaned out my preamp settings but I am still getting it. Last night I even went back to using Super Slinkys instead of Regular Slinkys, no luck there either. Does anyone have any ideas of what may be causing the loose and muddy bottom end?

Here is what I am using...

Paul Reed Smith CE24 (standard tuning)

Mesa Boogie Quad preamp (JJ tubes)

TC Electronic G-Major (only for delay and reverb)

Mesa Boogie 20/20 power amp (JJ tubes)

I have a Mesa Boogie 295 power amp with EH tubes in it but it is being repaired right now, so I can't try that...

Help? Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by RedMikeLine

If your Quad is anything like my Studio Pre, cut all of the bass out in the pre-EQ. Then add it back in with the graphic EQ. This took all the flub and mush out of the low end for me. Its something simple you can try.

I had thought about trying this, but the bad thing is that I use the EQ to switch to a more modern tone for some songs.

• Members

This is one of the problems with the Boogie heads. You can have either a killer clean or a raging gain channel but not both. With the Quad you have two totally separate preamps so you can actually get both but not 4 channels. You can set one channel to be a true clean and the other to raging gain. To get the crunchy as hell Boogie tone you push the drive channel with the clean channel level. What you do is run the clean channel drive around 7 and the clean level to about 7-8. The on the overdrive channel you drop the bass to around 2, mids to about 8, treble to 5 and presence around 4. Then you crank up the overdrive gain to around 6 and turn the graphic on. It is then set in the classic "V" shape bringing up the very absent bass and presence/treble while pulling back the honking midrange. That gives you a very defined low end and crunchy highs.

• Members

Originally posted by Flat Fifth Fury

This is one of the problems with the Boogie heads. You can have either a killer clean or a raging gain channel but not both. With the Quad you have two totally separate preamps so you can actually get both but not 4 channels. You can set one channel to be a true clean and the other to raging gain. To get the crunchy as hell Boogie tone you push the drive channel with the clean channel level. What you do is run the clean channel drive around 7 and the clean level to about 7-8. The on the overdrive channel you drop the bass to around 2, mids to about 8, treble to 5 and presence around 4. Then you crank up the overdrive gain to around 6 and turn the graphic on. It is then set in the classic "V" shape bringing up the very absent bass and presence/treble while pulling back the honking midrange. That gives you a very defined low end and crunchy highs.

I don't have presence control on mine. What about the volume control on each channel? So you are saying to leave the EQ in all the time on Lead2?

• Members

Yeah what you have is one clean channel and one overdrive channel total from your Quad. Your overdrive channel, most likely lead channel 2, has the EQ always on. Don't worry about the presence. It's not as important as the dropped bass and bumped mids. What you have is a pre-gain eq, the knobs, and a post gain eq - the graphic. Too much bass before gain makes it flubby. That's why mid honking boost pedals like a Tubescreamer make raging yet clear distortion from an overdriven amp while a bassy distortion like a Big Muff turns the overdriven amp into a sloppy mess.

• Members

Hi,

As said before, keep the bass low on the eqknob it self and don't pull it. I have my mids all the way up and pulled, high is also turned up and sometimes pulled. I use the graphic EQ for a tight low end. This way you don't get any flab, but a tight and rich sound.

Maarten

• Members

If you want a third channel on your quad, work on the lead 1, and try to make it sound good while keeping the clean 1. I always used the graphic eq, when I used the quad. And you should be able to get 3 good sounds out of the quad. I coulden't get a good pushed/light overdriven cleansound, but clean and boogie lead along with shreding lead was no problem....

(You get all of this and more whit the triaxis....:-)

Bjor

• Members

I brought the bass down to 2 and did not pull it. The treble is on 8 and pulled, the mids are around 7 and pulled. That seemed to fix the flub but it left it a little empty in the bottom, so I tried the EQ trick and it worked!

I still may go with EH tubes in place of the JJ's that are in it now. Anyone second that motion?

Thanks for everyone's help!

• Members

This does seem to be common to Boogies. I just bought a Triaxis and they even warn you in the manual to be very very careful with the Bass (except in Lead 1 Red), as it will add too much flub to the bottom end. Seems that Bass on Boogies doesn't add bottom end (they're naturally Bassy imo), as much as thicken up the tone, and this is why if you set it too high it will mush or flub out. Most of the times (except Lead 1 Red), I have the base at 0 or 2, and I just use the dynamic voice (equal to your graphic EQ) to add bottom end thunk. So yeah, dial down the bass and use the graphic EQ to add bottom end. Glad you got it worked out!!!! Just thought I'd post my experience too!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Two suggestions :

A big part of any guitar tone is the speakers. What cabinet and speakers are you using ? I like Greenbacks, for example, but not for their bottom end. V30s have a nice thunk, as do 30w Blackbacks. I also like the stock Mesa 90w - very solid lows. A lot of people like Reverend Alltone 1250s.

Do you play in standard tuning, or tuned down ?

While I'm a big fan of JJ tubes, that doesn't mean they're always perfect in a given preamp or amp. Electro-Harmonix makes some nice ones, and there are a few Chinese and Groove tubes worth trying - 12AX7 tubes are relatively cheap, and it's worth trying a few different ones.

• Members

Originally posted by John S. Shinal

Two suggestions :

A big part of any guitar tone is the speakers. What cabinet and speakers are you using ? I like Greenbacks, for example, but not for their bottom end. V30s have a nice thunk, as do 30w Blackbacks. I also like the stock Mesa 90w - very solid lows. A lot of people like Reverend Alltone 1250s.

Do you play in standard tuning, or tuned down ?

While I'm a big fan of JJ tubes, that doesn't mean they're always perfect in a given preamp or amp. Electro-Harmonix makes some nice ones, and there are a few Chinese and Groove tubes worth trying - 12AX7 tubes are relatively cheap, and it's worth trying a few different ones.

I use Celestion 90W Black Shadow speakers. I use standard tuning.

Archived