I need help from the experts (pre/power amp?)...

jpage

• Members

I'm thinking about putting together a cheap little rack that I can use to play around with at home and for cover-type stuff. My goal is to have a Splawn head for my main sound and a pre/power amp for clean/effect/crazy/copycat tones.

What do you guys think about the modeling stuff? Are all the POD Pros the same (XT? 2.0?)? Is that the only rack-mounted modeling preamp? I want something that can give me cool Gilmour/metal/sterile clean/effect-laden tones when I want them but doesn't sound like crap. I use a TS9 and a wah on the floor, nothing else.

How fancy a power amp do I need to run with this? Do I need a tube unit? Any recommendations?

Would it be possible (sorry, I've never had a rack) to put a power amp, preamp and a tube head all into a single rack? Rack recommendations?

• Members

the behringer v-amp pro is also a modelling preamp. I heard it sounds better for high gain sounds and its also a lot cheaper.

For a poweramp you can best look for an solid state or PA poweramp, because tube amps colour your modeling sound to much.

If your tube head is 19" wide its quite simple, else you can have a custom rack made.

Archived