Electronics peeps - need advice (MIDI+servos)

• Members

Hello, all.

I'm trying to control the tone and vol. knobs of my guitar amplifiers via this MIDI gizmo and some RC plane servos. I'm not much of an electronics tech guy, and I don't know exactly what I need to proceed.

From what I can tell, I need a power supply and some way to interface with controller and to program and save presets, along with mounting provisions. Any advice on where to start?

Better yet, if any of you know someone (hopefully in the greater L.A. area) who specializes in making custom gizmos like this that could do this for me, that'd be super.

Thanks in advance for any advice y'all can lend. I'm hoping to get a KILLER rack goin' by mounting my Marshall Jubilees in my rack and controlling them via MIDI.

Dave

• Members

So will that device replace the volume and tone pot? Or, will it turn the volume and control pots? From what I can tell, the device accepts 5-pin midi plugs. And, it "Responds to Control Change messages from any standard MIDI data source" which suggests to me that any midi controller that can transmit CC messages can be used as controller.

• Members

Yep, its just like Neil Young's "whizzer".

The beauty is that since it can control 8 servos, I don't have to commit to any scheme. I can wire up ALL of the knobs with servos on my Jubilee if I want.

What MIDI controller transmits CC signals? I'm sorry, I just don't know that much detail about electronics. The most advanced I get is setting the presets on my FX processors.

Thanks again for any help.

Dave

• Members

I think I understand. So the servo controller will control the servo which will turn the knob. So let's say an amp has 8 knobs, you'll get 8 servos to turn the 8 knobs, the servos will be controlled by the controller.

As for midi controllers, the GCP can transmit up to 32 CCs per preset. Gotta check the manual to make sure.

Archived