hey rack guys would this work

• Members

I just got an idea and im wondering whether or not it is feasable.

So, i have an electric guitar, but no amp for it, and i havnt really played it plugged into anything for like 2 years now, it just sits there cuause pretty much all my money gets dumped into my bass stuff or for paying for my car. Well i have an STV4 pro, and i was wondering if it would work out ok if i used the poweramp section (it has a poweramp in jack) of that and bought some cheap guitar preamp (IE peavey rockmaster, or somehting low priced with OD) and then built a small, sealed cab 2x10 cab for it (or found a cheap cab), I have an extra rack laying around so the preamp wouldnt have to follow my SVT around and i could just hook it up when i need it, i figure i can build the cab for under 100 bucks and if i can find a cheap preamp to use i could keep the costs below 200,

Now the Ampeg power amp is a little overkill, cause its 2x490w RMS@4 ohms or 1x1200wRMS@4, and its solid state but im not looking for amazing tone, just somehting i can riff along to some MP3s with, mostly metal.

that or please suggest a decent practice amp (when i say practice i mean better than 10 watts and has good OD, cause if im gonna buy a whole new amp im gonna buy something semi-good, and i have no issues with tubes, so if you know of a cheap tub amp, then ill take that too)

• Members

I'd suggest getting a decent pre-amp with speaker cab emulation (recording out). Run that through your power-amp and bass cab.

Of course, that's assuming that your bass cabinet has high frequency drivers. If that's so, you would need to either have cab emulation to cut those high frequencies out of the guitar signal or turn the HF drivers off.

You can definitely run guitar preamp signal through a bass amp and have no detrimental effects. The only complication would be making sure that you can get it to sound like it's coming out of a guitar speaker cabinet instead of a bass speaker cab.

Archived