can anyone recommend a good signal booster??

Ryan

• Members

hey all,

im playing through a VHT GP3 preamp and i dont quite get enough gain for all the tappy lead sorta stuff with my passive humbuckers. its all good when i use my RG760 with emg 81s in it, but i find the overall tone is alot worse from those pickups. so i need some sort of a boost pedal or something i can throw in the loop and switch on for leads and then switch off when i play rhythm

any recommendations??

thanks,

ryan

ryan@7thsunn.com

www.7thsunn.com

• Members

Seymour Duncan pickup booster

http://www.seymourduncan.com/websit...ectsdescr.shtml

MXR Micro Amp

http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/e...ducts/m133.html

EMG PA2 booster

http://www.emgpickups.com/displaypr...2&catalogid=135

EMG Afterburner booster

http://www.emgpickups.com/displaypr...32&catalogid=69

And you'd want the pedals in front of your amp, not in the effects loop. Most effects loops are buffered, so the boost pedal wouldn't do much. Since you liked the EMG-81's output, but not the tone, I'd say consider those EMG boosters (one is just an on/off switch while the other has a boost knob to crank it up). Both boost the signal but use the pickups you already have in your guitar whether they're passive or active.

• Members

Actully.. the MXR Microamp can also work as an active buffer if its set all the way down. You can run lets say a 10 or 15' cable before it, then run a 20' cable after it.

a pedal like the MXR Microamp should be put before the preamp section to provide the boost.

I am not sure how the Loops in the switchblade work, but if it goes by loops.. as in Loop 1 comes before Loop 2, then just put it in the loop before the loop that contains the preamp.

good luck

• Members

catalinbread.com : chili picoso

zvex.com :super hard on

i had both and both were great for your purposes.... the microamp has a terrible bypass... it sucks tone like a whore... the two above are more pricey but have true-bypass and work great...

• Members

Originally posted by SteveLINY

I have 3 GP3 setups, and I have found that MI Audio Blueboy pedal works amazing for what you are looking for.

The link is in my sig, and that's why it's there. Also works wonders with my UL's.

I see no link in your sig - I'm interest Steve...I may be looking for a boost for the UL. There are a ton of boosts out there huh? How does one determine the right one w/o spending a {censored}load going through each one. Christ the Centaur is like some crazy price, theres ZVEX who make amazing pedals...EMG afterburner, Duncan - where does one start? Are the Boutiquey ones going to sound different or do some boosts color your tone? (which I don't want)

Rai //

www.FarewellRadiance.com

• Members

So the Klon is colorless? And Ballsy? I see these for sale sometimes here and there. I'm intrigued by Steve LINY's suggestion on the MI Audio Blue boy and def on the TC Line Booster as I had heard alot on those as well and if Scott Ian didn't have killer tone back in the day....I guess I like bad tone ;)

Somebody else I really like uses one of these too and I can't remember who.

Is there a huge tonal difference btwn all these Boosts?

Thanks for the suggestions -

Rai //

www.FarewellRadiance.com

• Members

Well I also have a Klon. And to be honest with you, the MI Audio can duplicate the sound at less than half the price. The Klon is more of a slightly modded 808. Don't get me wrong, the Klon is great, but I think it's more directed towards a Plexi style amp than a high gainer. It has a pretty big mid hump like the original 808's.

The thing about the MI Audio Blue Boy is the 3 internal trim pots that you can tweak to your amp. And the knobs actually work for them and the tone on the outside.

I really have to take some time and record a bunch of my OD's. It's very hard to describe verbally.

I will record something simple with a direct recording and the Blue Boy so you can kind of get the idea of how it sounds on clean and on dirty.

Steve

• Members

Originally posted by Rai168

Awesome Steve - thanks much! How would you compare the TC vs the MI Audio Blue Boy? A Big difference tonally? I value your opinion alot because I'm running a UL so I know you know what works w the amp. Thanks!

Rai //

www.FarewellRadiance.com

There is a pretty substantial difference between the two. The TC is, for lack of a better description, a cleaner OD. It is really really transparent and just kind of adds a gain stage with no color. But with the tone knobs you can add what you want. The MI is more like a highly modded 808 with 2x the gain and volume boost. They are both amazing, but very different animals. Thats why I use both of them.

I recorded a little thing here just to show you a drop of what the MI can do.

This is a very poor example, but I have to get to rehearsal, and don't have too much time to tweak.

This is:

Steve Morse guitar into MI Audio BB, into Johnson J Station on crunch channel.

It goes from:

1-Pedal off

2-Pedal everything set to 12 O Clock

3-Last is just the gain put up to 3 O clock everything else the same.

There is 2 sections in this clip:

1, 2 , 3

then

1, 2, 3

Then the pedal just on for the last riff.

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000140800_000009306_proj.mp3

Hope this helps a bit.

Steve

Archived