Wierd Rocktron Chameleon 2000Power amp observation

• Members

Here's the deal. I have the above mentioned Rocktron preampeffects unit. I have been just running it direct into my Mackie mixer, and it sounds okay. As an FYI, the normal volume on most of the presets are at 127. I wanted to see how it sounded through my Mesa Recto 2:100 power amp (which I usually use with my Tri-Axis) so I hooked it up and powered it up. Being the cautious person I am, I had all my levels all the way down, and I slowly brought them up. All I can say is that if I would have not done that, and instead just cranked everything up full volume, I probably would have blown my amp, speaks and ears all at once. For some strange reason, the Rocktron is SUPER loud (at the default volume level) through the Mesa power amp. I basically have to set the volume level to about 3 or 4 (out of a range of 0-127). So my question is this; what's the deal with this. Is the Rocktron only to be used with a solid state power amp? Is it not really "compatible" with a tube power amp?

Does anyone have any insight on this?

• Members

Quite the oposite!

The Rocktron is compatible with both tube and solid state amps.

I own 3 Rocktron preamps, ( Pro-GAP, Voodu Valve, & Piranha), and all 3 of them have a maximum output of 20db, which is a huge amount of output. Your chameleon i bet is the same as far as output goes.

Solid state power amps usually like the lower output levels. Something like 0db or 1 volt. Anything more than that and you overdrive the input circuitry which sounds terrible on SS amps.

Tube power amps on the other hand need a higher input level, and can really sound amazing when you crank in 10db or @ 3 volts. The natural tube compression and power tube distortion sounds very musical. This can also get extremely loud with a tube amp.

Of course this all depends on the type of tubes, brand of amp, musical style, ect.........

Later

• Members

Just an educated guess here, but I am assuming that they wanted high output levels because many times, if a component is putting out low levels that have to be augmented by the unit receiving the levels, a lot of noise also gets amplified.

Sending "hot" signal levels to the next unit is a high-fi/low-noise approach.

Overall those do sound like scorching hot signal levels that you're dealing with though.

• Members

one thing to remember... Rocktron preamps have cabinet-voiced direct outs, plus, transparent amplifier outs. The cabinet voiced ones are insanely loud. I will not use them with a power amp, OTOH, the amp outputs are as lound as you turn the knob and dial the output level. I have a pro gap ultra BTW which has an identical interface I think.

• Members

Originally posted by angry again

I'm looking to get a power amp for my chameleon 2000 and would love to hear what you think about the sound going through your mesa power amp. Give us some feedback or better yet some clips!

I can tell you that although very loud through the Recto, it does sound pretty damn good. For comparisons sake, I pulled my Alesis SS amp off of my PA and ran the Chameleon through that. Not even close as far as sound quality goes; in fact, it sort of sounded like crap. The clincher between a Mesa tube amp and a SS amp; the "presence" control. That makes a HUGE difference.

Archived